How to make your plastic parts look pretty?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    At the end, I realized, I am a metal and wood man. I love the rich luster of a good finish on the wood furnishing of a gun, and shiny metal is pretty. However, I do have some "evil black guns." What can I do to the plastic parts to make them pretty?

Some people try different combinations of "military" colors, like OD green, desert tan, coyote brown, or different sorts of camo, but frequently that just looks like painted-over plastic. So let me appeal to the collective wisdom of INGO: how can we make plastic look less like plastic, and in the process beautify it?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah, yeah, make fun of me all you want. At the end of this I'll have some awesome-looking guns.

Check this out. It's a pretty good Cerakote job. There is the illusion of organicity. The pattern looks inspired by alligator leather.

643_Tomahawk_458_SOCOM_L-Side_Close-up_1.jpg

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    INGO: how can we make plastic look less like plastic, and in the process beautify it?
    You can't.
    It's plastic.
    There is a silver/aluminum Cerakote colors but the plastic will never be as smooth as real metal and you will not get the shine.

I have metal and wood guns and I love them and I have plastic framed guns and I revel in their black, lightwieght, who cares if it gets scratched, utilitarian goodness

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    FWIW .. there's some stuff called 303 Aerospace Protectant that's great on plastic or vinyl. I use it on my cars, but it works well on any kind of plastic .. provides a satiny sheen (not shiny like Armorall) and also provides UV protection. Makes the part look new again, but without looking obvious about it, if that makes any sense.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree with you, but I just change or build using real wood. My AK has all Walnut furniture from Ironwood. My LR 308 has Walnut from Precision Firearms. They are a little heavier, and none adjustable, but I sure like the handling, feel, and looks of wood much better.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I might try painting first before going the wood route, because I've got things mounted on the gun. I've been googling for examples of cerakote jobs, and once in a while I see a design that looks good. These don't appear to be DIY -- at least I'm not good enough of an artist to do it myself. Do you know of some good "cerakote arists"?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do you know of some good "cerakote arists"?

AR in the dishwasher, go to store and buy some HS bowflauge camo paint, pick leaves off tree, dry AR out and disassembly, spray on undercoat, stick some leaves over your AR, spray on overcoat, lube AR, reassembly and you are all done.:D

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    AR in the dishwasher, go to store and buy some HS bowflauge camo paint, pick leaves off tree, dry AR out and disassembly, spray on undercoat, stick some leaves over your AR, spray on overcoat, lube AR, reassembly and you are all done.:D

Sounds like a great kindergarten project. I know how kids love to pick leaves and paint things. Let me suggest it to the teachers. :)

Top Bottom