• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Avon
    I recently bought a S & W .32 HR Mag and it came with reloading dies. I have never been around reloading and was wondering how to get started and what all do i need to get started?
    Thanks Mark

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I've never reloaded before, but I've been researching it pretty extensively. From the point I'm at, I would recommend a lee (lower end) or rcbs (higher end) starter kit either a single stage or turret. They have most of the stuff you need to get started. I was originally going to buy a progressive, and I might in the future. But the more I read into it, the more I realised it's something I can do to relax, why rush through it? If you havent' read a book on it, that's also a good place to start. I just read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Abcs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/0896896099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255845849&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Abc's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert (9780896896093): Bill Chevalier: Books[/ame] and found it very helpful. It takes you through everything step by step, the pros and cons of different types of systems, has some reloading recipes, all kinds of good stuff.

I'm sure one of the guys that have been doing this forever will debunk a lot of what I just said, but that's where I am from my current research.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    i myself am in the beginning stages of starting and there are tons of threads to read through on the subject so i would advise to do that! Indygunworks is the go to man and i have heard he even does classes (im new so dont quote me on that). but indecision is right lee is economical and for the casual reloader should be a good starting point. ive got two books right now and have posted several questions myself....so read read read and welcome to ingo!!!

triharley

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    St. Anthony, IN
    +1 for reading a manual first if not more than one. Some manuals have little tips on how to tweek something if it doesn't seem to size right or seat right. I would start out small like a lee starter kit. They don't cost much, work very well, and you can get started to see if this is something you will enjoy. Sometimes check around for used equipment. I picked up a used Lee turret and dies and other components for 50 bucks and it worked great for a year until I stared loading more. Than I got lucky and scored a dillon 650 and 550 for $750. I would have not sold my lee except my uncle asked for it so I sold it too him. His first run of 40 s&w he cranked out 150 rounds in an hour. hope this helps.

oh and if you ever have question don't hesitate to ask it here. plenty of experts, well maybe!!:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    id buy and read books first.

you can learn alot buy searching threads on here. theres alot of good knowlege on this forum

go to indys reloading class.

i would go with a starter kit. i went with a lee but have changed out most of my equipment to rcbs now due to higher quality. it would have been cheaper to go with a rcbs kit in the first place but you live and learn

i went with single stage since i dont do alot of bulk reloading like 9-40-45-223. i do more bolt actions

Last edited:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    The private range that I shoot at sometimes will offer reloading classes. Personally, I would only learn by being taught from a person that I trust. In my opinion, there's too much that could go wrong.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Get a press. Lee presses can be had inexpensively, and will suffice until you decide whether or not reloading is for you. Get a single stage (change the die each time you move onto another step) or a turret (dies are in a turret that you turn by hand, and this saves you time when swapping dies).

Mount the press, and install the resizing/depriming die.

Clean the brass. I don't care how. Just make sure it's clean - doesn't need to shine, but you don't want to scratch up the carbide in the die.

Go through and resize/decap all your brass.

Once this is done, buy a priming tool. Prime each case.

By this time, you should be getting familiar with the tools. Especially if you have a lot of brass!

Order some bullets - the cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co are good - and a dial caliper. Make a few unprimed dummy rounds for practice, and to set your seating die.

Only then start looking at powders. I'd also go with a powder dipper set to start with - harder to accidentally over charge the case when you're doing it manually. Also look at Trail Boss powder. This is some fluffy stuff made for Cowboy Action shooting. It won't give you high velocity, but it will fill the case to the point that you'll be able to visually confirm the charges.

If you buy the components one step at a time, you'll have the opportunity to get intimately familiar with each step before moving onto the next.

Buy at least two manuals and read them cover to cover.

Josh <><

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    no to indys reloading class.

???

Personally, I would only learn by being taught from a person that I trust. In my opinion, there's too much that could go wrong.

I agree a class or an experienced friend to teach you is good, but my reasons are different.

Personally, I don't learn physical/mechanical things well reading from a book. I have to get my hands on things to understand how they work. If you're like me, you will benefit from having someone walk you through the steps.

Still get a book, yes. More than one, I'd say. But I think the hands-on learning is invaluable, and I would not start buying stuff until you've had a chance to go through the process.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i think vette meant GO to my class... not NO to my class... i have not hear anybody say any bad things about it.... check out the INGO Events section for my AAR's... if you want hands on my class is the way to go... i show everyone the proccess and if you want to stay after and do it yourself you are more than welcome

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    Reloading instruction

Good evening. One of my friends commented recently that he might have started to learn to reload at the worst possible time. I told him that tomorrow was the worst possible time. There should be lots of assistance available to you reasonably close to you. I am an NRA certified Reloading instructor, but I am located just outside of Louisville, KY. I would be more than happy to sign you up in a class, but it would be a bit of a drive for you. Reloading is a rewarding hobby and it has many benefits. Best of luck to you in your newest adventure. DennyMac

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Good evening. One of my friends commented recently that he might have started to learn to reload at the worst possible time. I told him that tomorrow was the worst possible time. There should be lots of assistance available to you reasonably close to you. I am an NRA certified Reloading instructor, but I am located just outside of Louisville, KY. I would be more than happy to sign you up in a class, but it would be a bit of a drive for you. Reloading is a rewarding hobby and it has many benefits. Best of luck to you in your newest adventure. DennyMac

you charge for your reloading class? :dunno:

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    I read a lot of posts online, read what is good equipment for a newbie, got that. And reloaded. It's not rocket science here. If you learn better by watching someone do it, youtube has many videos.

Would have been nice if someone showed me how to do it in person, but none of my friends reload.

It's quite difficult to make a catastrophic failure if you follow the loading advice from a manual or manufacture websites. Worst that happened to me was I seated a bullet too deep and had to use a bullet puller.

Glockman1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Mark, if you want to get into reloading, go to Dillon's site, call them up & buy a Dillon. Why buy a cheapo when you can get the best?

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Buy the ABC's of Reloading and READ! Great recourse and answers most questions. Also get a variety of loading guides...
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Abcs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/0896896099"]Amazon.com: Abc's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert (9780896896093): Bill Chevalier: Books[/ame]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom