How to find a Bug Out / Retreat Property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Anyone have any knowledge of property in Southern Indiana? would like to find at least 20 acres with either a spring or year round river for water. A well that is shallow enough to use a hand pump would suffice in a pinch.

If someone knows of a large tract of land maybe a group buy and subdividing would be an option. Set up homesteads toward the center of the property for mutual protection and have a large buffer zone surrounding.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I know there are a few search sites on the net, but the ones I've found don't seem to have too many options listed.

I've started looking for a spread of 20-50 acres, but closer to indy. Want to keep it to a 1-2 hour drive or less.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    42 acres for $250,000 about a mile from me. I'm pretty sure you could get it for 200,000 but the people to the east are jerks. Thorn bushes and trees will keep them away.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    any of you have any experience farming? We have done a small, very small, garden the last years and had some luck with tomatoes, kale, cucumbers. Not having much luck with beets or bell peppers or watermelon.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I find that it makes no sense to judge a property listing based solely on a half-dozen thumbnail sized pictures taken by some real estate agent who has half a dozen properties to travel to and list on that same day in deciding whether or not to pursue a given property. Instead, I use the descriptions given to track the property down on Google Maps, Mapquest, or Bing Maps and see what the surrounding hinterlands looks like.

Then, because the topology of the property in relation to the surrounding terrain is important from a strategic stand point, I go here: Single File Download Inferface - gis.iu.edu

That allows me to download the latest topological studies of every 100 sq. ft. of Indiana. Is the property on a hilltop? Is it in a valley bottom? Hillside? Facing which way? It answers questions like, from which direction would it have to be fortified and from which direction will the worst weather come?

I like downloading at the highest resolution (1:24,000) and in GeoPDF format. Makes zooming in with details easier.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I find that it makes no sense to judge a property listing based solely on a half-dozen thumbnail sized pictures taken by some real estate agent who has half a dozen properties to travel to and list on that same day in deciding whether or not to pursue a given property. Instead, I use the descriptions given to track the property down on Google Maps, Mapquest, or Bing Maps and see what the surrounding hinterlands looks like.

Then, because the topology of the property in relation to the surrounding terrain is important from a strategic stand point, I go here: Single File Download Inferface - gis.iu.edu

That allows me to download the latest topological studies of every 100 sq. ft. of Indiana. Is the property on a hilltop? Is it in a valley bottom? Hillside? Facing which way? It answers questions like, from which direction would it have to be fortified and from which direction will the worst weather come?

I like downloading at the highest resolution (1:24,000) and in GeoPDF format. Makes zooming in with details easier.

I use the IU site frequently (I've been searching for land for 5+ years).

The overlays are great as they have everything from flood plains (important info for all) to superfund sites, pipelines, coal deposits, etc...all of these can make a difference in your land use, especially if the S doesn't HTF...okay...until.

Google Earth (the downloaded "fat" app) is also awesome for visualizing the lay of the land before you take a long drive. There are tools for measuring distances, drawing and saving polygons (after you find the plat lines...they're out there...most realtors selling private property can send you a PDF with an estimated plat, if not the full survey).

There are TONS more resources...some counties have well reports online (Hendricks is one), this is good for getting an idea of where the water table was...Putnam and other counties have their sheriff's sale listings online....there is MIBOR for central Indiana, and SIRA for southern indiana (the area OP seems to be interested in) and several others in the state.

Also, you might want to check out this book: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Buying-Your-Place-Country/dp/0793141095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349156667&sr=8-1&keywords=finding+and+buying+your+place+in+the+country]Finding & Buying Your Place in the Country: Les & Carol Scher,Carol Scher: 9780793141098: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    42 acres for $250,000 about a mile from me. I'm pretty sure you could get it for 200,000 but the people to the east are jerks. Thorn bushes and trees will keep them away.

Just shy of 6K an acre. Most the places I've been looking at are half or less that price :-/. Just to give some perspective.:dunno:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gnarly. GoogleAPIs was acting up and not responding, so I turned it off in Firefox, and that makes it such that my posts are all delivered to INGO's server as zero-length posts. :(

It's working again.... so....

A lot of the places I've been looking at have been for around $2k/ac. Some a little less, many a lot more, commensurate with the degree of developement. What kind of prices per acre have you been looking for in your BoL

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife and I have started our hunt as well. Per Acre prices seem to range from about $2K/acre for fairly flat topography and new-growth woods, to $4K/acre for nicely rolling hills, older woods/forest, and water access (ponds, lakes, streams). We haven't found the perfect place yet, but we really just started looking seriously.

Want an interesting feature? How about cave access?
    W Baseline Road, Paragon, IN 46166 | Listing Information | Carpenter Realtors® - Indianapolis Real Estate
    This has the entrance to the Lost Boy Cave, which connects to Porter Cave.
    Tom Karr's Website

So, as Cathy mentioned, the listing only shows so much info. You need to do a LOT of your own research to find what you are looking for. Google Earth is great, as is the Beacon website (for GIS and tax info). Nothing beats boots on the ground, though, so prepare to take LOTS of road trips and do a LOT of walking!

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    1 mile past the Orange/Martin Co. line on Hwy 150, I belive it is about 100 acres, very long drive off of the Hwy. Has a house (don't know condition) and several outbuildings. Last heard it could be bought for about $1500. an acre. Very friendly gun area (its where i Live close by). Nearest town is West Baden/French Lick about 7 miles to the east and Shoals about 7 miles to the west. Plenty of deer, squirrels, rabbits and verious other meat sources. Lost River runs near-by.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I know there are a few search sites on the net, but the ones I've found don't seem to have too many options listed.

I've started looking for a spread of 20-50 acres, but closer to indy. Want to keep it to a 1-2 hour drive or less.
    There is a plot of 250 acres in Huntington, $250k.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1 mile past the Orange/Martin Co. line on Hwy 150, I belive it is about 100 acres, very long drive off of the Hwy. Has a house (don't know condition) and several outbuildings. Last heard it could be bought for about $1500. an acre. Very friendly gun area (its where i Live close by). Nearest town is West Baden/French Lick about 7 miles to the east and Shoals about 7 miles to the west. Plenty of deer, squirrels, rabbits and verious other meat sources. Lost River runs near-by.

I ran across that one in our search as well, I think. There are a BUNCH of properties out that direction, for fairly reasonable prices. Once I-69 is completed, the drive down from Indy won't be bad at all.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The 200 acres adjacent to me sold for 450,000+. Woods & Pasture fenced, ponds etc. It was listed to have 88,000 in timber with a light harvest. It was bought prior to the auction date

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    The property I talked about above is more than I thought, there is actually 3 sections that can be bought seperately, I know the property has been on the market for at least a year now, so I would guess it could stand a low offer for anyone interested. Listed with ReMax now and this link, 12651 US HIGHWAY 150, SHOALS, IN 47581, should get you some info. I live about 1/2 mile from the property and love it out here, be glad to give any help I can.

Top Bottom