How to deal with phone blowing up with TXT's???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It looks like my phone number may have been posted on Bumble for a woman named Kiana.

I first thought it might be a fishing thing or spam or something, but the name has been mentioned more than once from what seems to be random folks hunting a GF? At least one of the TXT's refers to the sender living in the Louisville area. That makes me think the number (out of Booneville) is somehow listed by location?

I'm thinking this might be a typo on the number that ended up turning it into my number?

Any way to circumvent this without opening the can of worms further? Just do as I am and wait it out, without any response?

:ingo:

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I still get texts and voice mails for “Hope”. Apparently she gave out my number as a throwaway to some body wanting to buy her property.

A few years ago my brother pranked me by calling in to a local (to him) “swap and shop” radio program and listing a gun for sale and then giving them my phone number for contact. The deal was obviously too good to be true but some guy was intent on buying it and called me for a couple weeks trying to make the deal.

In short, I don’t know how to resolve it other than wait it out. This too shall pass.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In short, I don’t know how to resolve it other than wait it out. This too shall pass.

That's what I'm thinking.

I've just always been particularly cautious about my phone numbers getting compromised. I've heard of folks getting TXT spam, but this is the first time something like this has happed to a number of mine.

From some of the TXT's I'm getting (for Kiana,) it certainly confirms that I am SO happy to not be in the dating scene... :n00b:

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Catfish them. See if you can make some money from this!
    This is the way.

Or, maybe string a bunch of them along for a week and then tell each of them you want to meet in person... at the same place... at the same time. Pick some dive bar in Louisville and see if you can get 40 dudes to show up looking for a figment of your imagination. Then change your phone number, obviously.

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I used to get a ton of spam calls and texts. It was so bad I usually just kept my phone on silent and would just sift through the spam and get back with regular calls and texts when I could. I tried all the stupid apps that claim to block spam callers but nothing that was reasonably price worked. But I got a Pixel phone ( I know, I know...Google is bad) and the built in spam blocking and call screen have been a godsend.

It does a great job filtering out spam texts, but the call filtering is unreal. If someone calls from a number that is not in my contacts it goes through a "virtual assistant" and it makes them identify themselves and why they are calling before it even rings my phone. And it converts their voice to text so I can see what it is before I decide to answer or not. The robot calls and spam calls have completely stopped. I can go back through the log and see all the crap it filtered out.

I know I sound like a stupid commercial for this phone, but it was honestly worth the price of the phone to not be bothered constantly with every spambot and Indian call center scammer with an auto-dialer. If you are due for a phone upgrade take a look at a pixel when you are doing your pre-purchase research.

Good luck with the whole "Kiana" thing.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    This is the way.

Or, maybe string a bunch of them along for a week and then tell each of them you want to meet in person... at the same place... at the same time. Pick some dive bar in Louisville and see if you can get 40 dudes to show up looking for a figment of your imagination. Then change your phone number, obviously.

This is the way. Tell everyone who texts you that you're looking for a causal thing and would love to hook up. Set (the same) time and place. Watch as hilarity ensues. :rofl:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm hesitant to say too much about it, but I have not received any messages today for Kiana.

Hopefully, I was correct in thinking it was just a typo Kiana made in her Bumble post. Hope she doesn't get a complex or something that she didn't get any Bumble takers? Maybe better yet she discovered her error and fixed it?

:dunno:

Top Bottom