• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm taking Sheriff Campbell's Defensive pistol class this summer. And I currently have 2 pistols. I'm not quite sure which one I should train with for the class. Glock 19 or the Glock 21. I carry the 19, but I feel pretty comfortable shooting the 21. But I would like to get real good with the 19, since its the one I carry. So how do you choose which one to go with?

MikeBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Brazil, IN
    I feel you should use the one you plan to carry. The only way you will get comfortable with it is to use it. I use a M&P9 for USPSA and a Mark II for steel. When I shoot steel matches the Mark II is more for the fun of shooting but I also shoot my M&P just to get more time with it and become more comfortable with it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I feel you should use the one you plan to carry. The only way you will get comfortable with it is to use it. I use a M&P9 for USPSA and a Mark II for steel. When I shoot steel matches the Mark II is more for the fun of shooting but I also shoot my M&P just to get more time with it and become more comfortable with it.
    I agree, you should ALWAYS train with what you carry...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I originally planned on using the 21, since I feel a little more comfortable shooting the larger gun. But I kept going back and forth, b/c I carry the 19. For obvious reasons, and its smaller. Just wasn't sure how you would going on choosing one to train with, if you have more than one gun that you like a lot.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yes, "train with what you carry," is the generally accepted principle, but both of these guns have the same manual of arms and the same grip angle, so it's not as critical as it might be if your choice was between say a G19, a SIG P229, and/or a 1911-style pistol.

One advantage of having the same type/mfg of gun in multiple calibers is the ability to move between them (for cost or availability of ammunition reasons) with less adjustment.

I agree, if you carry the G19, by all means take it to the class. It will have the added benefit of being cheaper to train with due to the lower cost of 9mm ammo. I also think there's usually less adjustment going from the smaller version of a particular gun to the larger version of the same gun due to the improved (usually) ergonomics of larger handguns. So, that weighs in favor of taking the G19 as well. Have fun.

Last edited:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Shoot what you carry. You will develop more skill & confidence with your carry gun that way. Plus, 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot & easier to find than 45. Have fun!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the replies. I figured the 19 would be the better way to go. Just like them both a lot, and wasn't really sure which one to use.
    I didn't know that though, that training with the smaller gun, and moving up to the bigger gun was easier than the other way around.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    both of these guns have the same manual of arms and the same grip angle, so it's not as critical as it might be if your choice was between say a G19, a SIG P229, and/or a 1911-style pistol.

Well, kind of. Those two guns have a huge difference in size. My mother used to carry a G19 but was barely able to get both hands around a G21.

I find the 21 to be very comfortable, and actually the only Glock that has the finger grooves in the right place for my hands. I can shoot the 19 with little problem, but as with most Glocks, the finger grooves are not exactly where my hands would like them to be. I find those two guns point completely different for me because of it.

However, I agree with you in principle that at least they both come out of the holster and operate the same way. :yesway:

And to the original poster, I agree with everyone else, train with what you will carry.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well you need train the most, with the gun you will carry the majority of the time. However you need to be profecient, with all your guns. One may fail, or be at the factory, or at a smiths shop, etc. I feel comfortable enough to grab any of my guns, and get the job done!

Top Bottom