• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    I hope this doesn't discourage you from carring. ....
    I'm looking at real motorcycle jackets for wearing on my Duc and those suckers seem to fit so tight and extend pretty low that I doubt an IWB holster will work. Hell, an OWB hip won't even work...
    I need to look into holsters soon. I am just waiting on the rest of my tax info so I can go get that done and I know if I have any money left over to buy holsters/ mouse guns. I want to carry, just need to figure out how.

What do you mean by "real" motorcycle jackets? I have had a Joe Rocket and an Icon. The rocket was real nice and provided very good protection when I needed it. The Icon, just a mesh style jacket, not as nice. Any bike jacket I have tried on rides at the same place my regular jackets do, about waist line, with the exception of the back that hangs low to protect your tail bone. As long as you carry 3/9 o'clock you should be fine for access.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I have a zipper pocket inside the left side of my leather jacket. I call it my 9mm pocket. The zipper goes up an down and my glock sets in there horizontal. Very easy to get at. I have to take my hand of the gas but my left hand can still use the clutch to stop.

Littlejoe

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I carry a Sig P220 in a shoulder holster with no problems at all. I ride a sport bike so when i carry IWB I always end up with my shirt blowing up. I'm also afraid my pistol will fall out.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    I can talk your ear off

Lets chat at work.... Ive carried a hundred different ways on bikes. I like IWB. You can wear t-shirts, jackets, even , sorry fellow abate members, jean shorts (short trips)Leg holsters show when your sitting down and your pants ride up. Also you can get a pouch for your windshield, works nice. Pouch for the gas tank. When I was younger and lived in the boonies I would practice drawing and shooting on the move. shoulder holster is sweet if its cool out and you will leave your coat on, but when you stop to eat or drink you will want to take your coat off so you dont get used to the warmth of the jacket cause you will freeze if you get back on with it. Hence, your rig will be exposed when you take your coat off.
    The x-5 is a huge gun to carry on a bike. Maybe think about getting something smaller like a 239, much more options.After long days the gun may rub or pinch you so you have to be comfortable and adjustable for different weather conditions, situations.

movevio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    on my cruiser i carry under shoulder fbi cant on the crotch rocket i have never found a way to carry that i trusted. although when i bought my .50 desert eagle i rode home with it in a shoulder holster talk about getting some long stares. i think that if i tried to pull it and shoot i would have crashed from weight transfer

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    I like that leather vest with the pouch

Summer days might be a little too warm though. Ive open carried on most of my bikes on the waistband. If you guys want some very good deals on galco shoulder units look up this site or better yet call. Windycityshooting.com Cory is the owner and he will take excellent care of you. He lives in Crown Point.. I dont get any more of a discount or I would give my name... I am just extremely pleased with his customer service and prices....

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yep, that's what I meant- Icon, JRocket, Dainse, A*, etc. They go a little low and are fairly tight and stiff- I don't plan on being able to hike the edge of to reveal my pistol and grab it.

Are you wearing mesh jackets? I can't see doing this with any textile or leathers I've seen.

I need to look into holsters soon. I am just waiting on the rest of my tax info so I can go get that done and I know if I have any money left over to buy holsters/ mouse guns. I want to carry, just need to figure out how.

What do you mean by "real" motorcycle jackets? I have had a Joe Rocket and an Icon. The rocket was real nice and provided very good protection when I needed it. The Icon, just a mesh style jacket, not as nice. Any bike jacket I have tried on rides at the same place my regular jackets do, about waist line, with the exception of the back that hangs low to protect your tail bone. As long as you carry 3/9 o'clock you should be fine for access.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I carry a PT145 in a inside the pants holster on my right side just the same when I am not wearing. I have two bikes, one GSXR750 (crotch rocket for all those not knowing) and a yamaha warrior 1700. I love both bikes but I usually just wear jean and a t-shirt and I find that my t-shirt rides up every once in a while. I tried using my ankle holster but doesn't feel to great. Don't feel like wearing a vest so if it shows whatever. I started carrying when I started riding downtown. But I always feel safe.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    Are you wearing mesh jackets? I can't see doing this with any textile or leathers I've seen.
    The Icon is mesh and it has plent of give, then again it might be a size too large do to needing it to pas my gut. I'm not fat, just not skinny as a rail. The Rocket jacket I had was leather/textile. My memory might be off a little as I lost that jacket in an accient over 5 years ago. I will be in the market for a new leather jacket this year as the mesh sucks to have in cool mornings on all day rides. On a side note, I can't wait for the warm riding weather. All this talk about riding is starting to make me go crazy.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Haha me too!

I've got a Fieldsheer textile jacket on the way. Breast down is mesh on the front or at least a permeable textile fabric. 4 zippers on front to let air in and one on back to let it out. It should be here soon. Installing HID on the Duc in the next few days and will be changing the oil soon. After that, there's not much to keep me busy other than getting out and riding it! GRRRRRRR

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    I've debated a lot about this topic. Finally decided to carry in a pocket holster located inside a front lower pocket of my jacket. Second choice, inside the tank bag...but careful to make sure my ID is in not in there, too. So I don't expose the gun when reaching for it.

There are no perfect answers. If it's on you, it might hurt if you go down. If it's in the bag, it may not be right there if you're off the bike. I'm afraid if it's in a shoulder holster inside my jacket it would take too long to get to when needed.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Well everyone I am pretty much settled on a new fatboy now. I am VERY close to buying it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

As far as the carry question, I'm going to try it all.

Top Bottom