• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tp222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Laporte
    Depends on your shooting, in my comp revolver I won't really clean it till season is over and some of the guys i shoot with have never cleaned their barrel in 30 years. If you shoot ppc or bullseye with lead wadcutters you don't want to remove the lead that is there because it will effect your accuracy greatly, the cylinder and action I brush clean after each use though. I generally run 2-3k rounds of wadcutters through the pistol each season.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    I clean my revolvers when things start to feel sticky or mushy. I compete with revos and hardly every do detailed cleaning on them unless something feels like its binding or isn't as smooth as I know it should be. Once I got away from lead bullets (plated or powder coated only now) I hardly ever have to "clean" them. Its got powder burns all over it and a lot of people would hate that, but it functions flawlessy as dirty as it is.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ...My father was in the army and keeps his guns shining.
    One of the articles talked like this is just old school and may actually damage your gun. They made it sound like most people clean their guns too often. ...?

I think clean it after you shoot it will be safe, but specifically to the military angle: the military in garrison has a fetish with keeping things cleans, spotless, pressed, starched, shined, etc, especially with new and lower ranking troops. It's part of instilling discipline and pride, and gives them something to do and all that, but some (many) times you end up cleaning something that is already clean, maybe several times over already. With the toilet it doesn't hurt it much, but with weapons you are likely to clean it many more times than you will ever use it (speaking of in garrison/peacetime, not combat). There's at least the potential to cause wear not related to shooting. I've heard some claim that Marines have worn the lands off their barrels through cleaning so much -- not sure that is true, but they are by training rifle and spit'n'polish fanatics.

I don't think you will overdo it for average shooting if you shoot-clean-shoot-clean. The accuracy shooters have different thoughts on this, so if you are in one of those disciplines, consult with them.

Top Bottom