How much more will you pay to support a LGS that allows carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much more will you pay for a shop that allows carry?

• Total voters

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I 'm talking about a gun shop that posts something like "no loaded guns, no exceptions" as opposed to "loaded firearms must remain holstered".

Assuming both shops are equally close, have the item you want in stock, and customer service is about the same, what price premium would you pay to support a gun store that trusts you with a gun?

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    More than half the shops I go in have a sign that says no loaded firearms. I pay as much attention to it as another place with a sign when it's legal to carry.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I would not do business with a shop that expected me to pay them to exercise my rights. It's bad enough we had to pay the state! :twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What would be the purpose of charging more to not have a sign?

Not charging more to not have a sign.

Gun shop #1 has the pistol you want at $500 but has a "no loaded guns allowed sign"

Gun shop #2 also has the pistol in stock, but wants more than $500 for it but doesn't have a sign prohibiting loaded guns.

At what price difference would you not spend the extra to shop where they trust you to carry a loaded firearm in a holster? $501? $550? etc.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think he means Shop A has gun for some number of dollars less than shop B but has a sign saying you can't carry in shop A. It's one of these moral debate threads.

Then it's a moot question as I don't shop at stores with a sign, so I guess my response is "I'll pay a 0% premium". Otherwise, the implication is that my principles are for sale at the right price.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I always carry in a gun shop. Their employees carry....why are they entitled and I'm not? If they don't like it....I'd take my business elsewhere. The same with any restaurants, doctors, dentists, etc...etc...

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I do not go into ANY place to spend money when I am not allowed to carry. A place would have to offer some pretty extreme discounts for me to consider otherwise.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I hate it when my customers don't carry. However I will not pay them extra to carry or offer a discount if they carry....I just don't feel I should have to pay them to do so even though it is, in the long run, beneficial for me for them to do so....I may be confused about the question but no one should get a discount because they are carrying in my shop...They should always carry even if there is no financial reward for doing so...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Then it's a moot question as I don't shop at stores with a sign, so I guess my response is "I'll pay a 0% premium". Otherwise, the implication is that my principles are for sale at the right price.

I get what you are saying for sure however I don't know of many shops that DON'T have a no loaded guns sign. I'm sure there are several but I know I see it at the stores I frequent. Furthermore, I guess if there is no sign I haven't noticed those. I can tell you that the two stores in Indianapolis that consistently have the lowest prices also have the "no loaded gun" signs.

Edit: Well I thought I understood what you mean but after reading again I'm not sure. Do you mean that coincidentally, the stores you shop at just don't have a sign or that you have made the conscious effort to avoid those stores that DO have a sign?

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I have purchased an LC9 and a 10/22 from a shop on the southwest side. I believe they have a sign like this... And I believe one time I was asked to remove the magazine from my gun/unchamber it. I'm on the fence on whether I would give business to them again as they do usually have good prices and seem pretty knowledgeable.

However if I found another shop that doesn't have that I would most likely go there.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    The query suggests a total ignorance of the realities of operating a gun store. Do you have any clue how hard it is to stay in such a business today? In particular, have you done any research, prior to posting here, as to what hurdles a gun store must jump to buy liability insurance?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I get what you are saying for sure however I don't know of many shops that DON'T have a no loaded guns sign. I'm sure there are several but I know I see it at the stores I frequent.

I know of many and those are the ones I patronize. There's a fairly new one that opened up only a few miles from me. I've been there exactly once and haven't been back because they have a "No Loaded Guns" sign up. I go to Bluffton instead, even though it's a 90 minute drive.

I think it's mostly insurance issues more than the shops' desires. :twocents:

Citation please. As I said in the other thread that this thread spun off from, I hear that claim all the time, but it's very obviously not true since so many stores do not have signs (or, alternately, have "keep your handgun holstered").

I think the poll is confusing. Instead of asking people what premium they would pay to not have a sign, you should be asking how much of a discount they would need offered before going to a store that does have the sign.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Citation please. As I said in the other thread that this thread spun off from, I hear that claim all the time, but it's very obviously not true since so many stores do not have signs (or, alternately, have "keep your handgun holstered").

The fact that "so many stores do not have signs" is not sufficient to conclude that the necessity is not an insurance issue. It is possible, and likely, that the ones who do not have such a sign do not out of ignorance and/or defiance. With all else equal, I would more quickly frequent a store with such a sign than without, as I would conclude (again, with all else equal) that the owner is a better businessman.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    At the risk of "outing" any store, I think it would be interesting to list those stores that have no sign; keep it holstered; no loaded guns. Scutter really got me thinking because I candidly didn't really pay much attention to the signs until now. I don't really look for them so the stores that don't have it have not stood out. I know that Bradis and PSS have them as these are the stores that I have frequented most in the past. I know that Profire Arms doesn't have one mainly because the door is at eye level as you walk up and it is simply more noticeable.

The signs simply haven't made any difference to me as I don't read very well...;)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sign?:dunno:

If I'm buying a holster or for some other reason feel compelled to remove it from it's rightful place, I unload prior to entering. Else, it stays put and loaded.

Top Bottom