• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    A while back I watched 'the road'... I keep thinking of the scene with the husband and wife looking at the two remaining rounds. My reaction was that for $100 they could
    have had 1000 rounds...$20powder-$30primers $30 Lee Loader $20Lee 2 cavity mold
    wheel weights, batteries lubed with paraffin + graphite...

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I remember your initial thread well. There was alot of fuzzy math flying around that thread. :D Some were/weren't factoring in initial equipment cost and some were factoring in labor cost.

Also, I remember you making the point about loading for stock piling it rather than shooting and I still don't understand your point there.

It's great that you have decided to revisit this issue. I understand 9mm isn't a great example to realize the savings potential, but you can still save per round, even with 9mm. :)

Also, it's great you tried this thread here. Maybe you will get a few different perspectives that will help you make the decision.

Being you have this in the SHTF forum, take a look at cost from a different perspective. If funds are somewhat limited and you need to prep in areas not only ammo, how can you make your dollar stretch as far as possible ? Run the numbers on a given dollar amount... Take $1000.00 for example. How much store bought ammo would you be laying in as opposed to how many you could load if you spent that on components instead ?

Being you have this in the SHTF forum, who's to say the only way you might be able to afford to shoot come this fall or next spring is by shooting the ammo you built with components you bought yesterday ? No one knows what the future holds... But all I know is the closer we get to the elections we will see more and more trying their best to talk us into another ammo/component shortage.
    After watching some videos and doing a little research, I am leaning towards picking up a Lee Classic Turret. It seems simple to set up, and a good combination of cost and efficiency. Plus you can change to loading a new caliber in no time.

I have plenty of friends who shoot and don't reload, so I will try and coax them into giving me their spent brass. I already have quite a bit of 9mm brass I have picked up from my range trips, so since I didn't leave it laying there it is pretty much free. My biggest concern is all the little nuances that no one tells you about, but I guess everyone has to learn sometime, yea?

It looks like I need to get working on cleaning out the back bedroom again and turn it into my supply and reloading room.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    After watching some videos and doing a little research, I am leaning towards picking up a Lee Classic Turret. It seems simple to set up, and a good combination of cost and efficiency. Plus you can change to loading a new caliber in no time.

I have plenty of friends who shoot and don't reload, so I will try and coax them into giving me their spent brass. I already have quite a bit of 9mm brass I have picked up from my range trips, so since I didn't leave it laying there it is pretty much free. My biggest concern is all the little nuances that no one tells you about, but I guess everyone has to learn sometime, yea?

It looks like I need to get working on cleaning out the back bedroom again and turn it into my supply and reloading room.

Good luck!! I've been reloading for a couple years now, and really started getting into it this last winter. I load to save money, and to prep. I use the Lee Annivesary Kit. The best way to learn the nuances, is to start doing it. INGO has great people that are very helpful to newbs, all you have to do is ask.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

Great choice! I've made over 5000 rounds on mine without a problem. If you can, switch the handle side occasionally to keep from getting tendinitis during long reloading sessions. Learned this the hard way.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    I was thinking of getting into reloading also. I have calculated that I can save a lot, but my major intent is stocking up on rounds. So I intend to shoot at the range and utilize my spent on reloading preps. Good luck OP.

T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Just an FYI for everyone. My suppliers have told me that by mid to late summer ammo prices will far surpass 2008 prices. Followed by massive shortages. Unfortunately reloading supplies will soon follow. We are already having trouble getting some ammo and components.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    The only time I've suffered a ammo shortage was 2008 and that was for .380s.
    I have learned when to stock up. Only took 56 years. Time is now...

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Ok, it's been a while since I originally posted this, but have been revisiting the idea.

I know it's probably a horrible time to get into this because availability of components, but better late than never, right? I think I am still looking into the Lee Classic Turret, but have since deleted my PMs and don't remember who I was talking to about it. I remember they were helpful, but that's about it. Anyone remember talking to me about where to buy equipment and components?

XtremeVel, was it you?

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can see the logic in asking this outside of the reloading forum. Here, you may get a feel for who does and who does not reload. In the reloading forum, you will eliminate 90% of those that don't already reload.

I reload .380, 9mm, 10mm, 45acp and .223 on a Dillon 550. I reload 7.62x54r, 6.5 Swede and 8mm Mauser on a single stage press. I'm set up for .40 and have a couple of thousand cases saved, but don't actually own anything in .40 S&W yet. Reloading keeps me shooting when ammo supplies dry up. I was shooting a lot of .380 for under $5 per 50 back when it was impossible to find even at $25 a box.

Realistically, reloading does not save much money, but instead raises the amount I can shoot for what I can spend.

Top Bottom