How many names do they have for the thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    That site is horrible. I used to comment on there a while back... and they're ALWAYS wrong when it comes to gun stuff. ALWAYS. If you post about spelling or grammatical errors, they'll correct it. But if you post corrections regarding their factual misrepresentations regarding gun laws, they'll never correct it. You can tell them that there's no such thing as gun registration in Indiana, or that there's no such thing as a permit in Indiana, or this or that is wrong in their article, and they'll NEVER correct it. In fact, they'll post updates making the same error. Over and over.

RTV6 sucks.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a permit and a license? Other than the legislature opted to use one and not the other, I mean.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a permit and a license? Other than the legislature opted to use one and not the other, I mean.

I would say time. Typically a license is more durable while a permit is more finite. Think Driver's License vs Driving Permit.
    A building permit is for a specific project and terminates at the end of that project.

A permit for an INGO OC parade around Monument Circle would be for a specific date and time, while the licenses allowing those participating to do so are open.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It doesn't matter. To the masses IT IS THE SAME THING!!! Do I care if a layperson calls a magazine a clip, nope, because I know what they mean and they usually use the terms they know and understand. Now I am not saying that helping them to understand the "proper" nomenclature is bad, but what we usually get are posts that come off douchy and unpleasant. Is this REALLY an issue high on the list "Things that get my panties in a bind"? I sure hope not.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    At a certain point, we all know what they mean. There's only one thing similar to a permit, license, etc. in Indiana. All the "must use accurate language" people probably will readily admit that they have "driver's licenses"....but that's not what it's called. However, we all know what they mean.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would say time. Typically a license is more durable while a permit is more finite. Think Driver's License vs Driving Permit.
    A building permit is for a specific project and terminates at the end of that project.

A permit for an INGO OC parade around Monument Circle would be for a specific date and time, while the licenses allowing those participating to do so are open.

Splitting hairs here. With the exception of the lifetime LTCH...ALL permits/licenses expire and they ALL require permission from government to utilize.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    semantics.jpg

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    All the "must use accurate language" people probably will readily admit that they have "driver's licenses"....but that's not what it's called. However, we all know what they mean.

I have to admit, before I joined INGO, I never pulled out my LTCH to see what it said at the top. I also just now looked closely at the top of my "Operator Licence".

I wonder how it would go if someone gets pulled over and asked for their "Drivers License" and the driver says he does not have one, let's the officer go off, then hands him a "Indiana Operator License". The officer then looks at the driver and sees a sidearm and asks if he has a "Gun Permit"......

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have to admit, before I joined INGO, I never pulled out my LTCH to see what it said at the top. I also just now looked closely at the top of my "Operator Licence".

I wonder how it would go if someone gets pulled over and asked for their "Drivers License" and the driver says he does not have one, let's the officer go off, then hands him a "Indiana Operator License". The officer then looks at the driver and sees a sidearm and asks if he has a "Gun Permit"......

:laugh:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Licenses require some sort of test before being granted. A written exam, a background check, etc. You have to prove you are eligible to get it. You take a test to get your OPERATOR DRIVER LICENSE (don't want anyone pouncing on me for incorrect terminology here), but once you have it you aren't tested or inspected again later.

Permits don't require any test up front, but are subject to ongoing inspection. Building permits, permits for hazardous material handling, etc. all allow for inspections as part of maintaining the permit.

That's the general rule, but its sometimes broken. Rules change and a test is no longer required, but its still a license or whatever. Sometimes they just don't make any sense to begin with. A "liquor license" is a type of "alcoholic beverage permit", so its a permit being referred to as a license.

anco989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    he's been on the site almost 3 years! so what if he made a crappy comment... and before someone calls me out, I buy all my guns new and i'm not selling them to you so the classifieds do me no good.

Top Bottom