• ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In your suburban type neighborhoods.

I swear we're lousy with the stupid things here in Plainfield. I understand there is quite a bit of cover for them, but I've seen more deer here in town than I ever did living out in the middle of nowhere Johnson county.

It baffles me.

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Caught a buck crossing the road to our retention pond to drink the other night. Didn't much care that we were sitting there watching him. Don't think the neighbors (or HOA) will let me set up a stand and bow hunt it LoL.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I live in Indianapolis and we have a herd of deer, 8-10 usually, that move thru our yard everyday, I see them every night in my back yard, I think they are bedding down on the golf course across the street

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My father in law sees deer along the canal most every morning on his walk (56th and Meridian up to Broad Ripple, in Indy). He also watches them down along the river when he fishes. Not 1 or 2, but half a dozen or more.

We have them all over out near Brownsburg, but I'm 1/4 mile from "rural".

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I live in Ft. Wayne, urban deer are seen daily behind my house (my house backs into a small stretch of woods) these trails lead out to the St. Joe River. I dont see a ton, but at least one a day on my walks with the dog

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i had 3 or 4 in my front yard 2 nights ago. one of the dogs took off chasing them. about 10 minutes later i was driving to the store and a buck (small 8 pointer) jumped in front of me.

its crazy, im a mile down the road from pop guns and there is no shortage of wild life. (human kind included)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Speaking of geese.

I saw and heard a couple flocks of cranes migrating last week. It was the first time I've ever noticed them. I thought it was pretty cool.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Speaking of geese.

I saw and heard a couple flocks of cranes migrating last week. It was the first time I've ever noticed them. I thought it was pretty cool.

They are tasty, but really hard to decoy to the ground. Smart birds, and they look real big when they are falling down around you!

We used to hunt Minneapolis, and have low speed loads and metro barrels for hunting in town. Hamilton county would never allow it, but it sure would be fun.

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I see plenty in town but this year has been very slow in the woods.I have seen probably 50% of what would be a good year here in the south central part of the state.

DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    I see them a lot more lately than I have in past years, but figure that this is because of encroaching development. I even saw a few turkeys a few months back in a guys front yard that has a large 5 acre lot.

The most that I have seen at one time was incredible. I was doing deliveries for a company I worked for about 8 years ago, and was driving on this local road that runs in back of one of the local business parks.
    Where the road passes a city park, you can see across a small valley between a couple of hillsides for about a mile to the end of the property, that ends along a local creek.
    One early fall afternoon while I was passing by, I was going pretty slow, and just happened to look across the valley, and noticed a herd of whitetails exiting the woods by the creek. I slowed a bit more to watch, and because there was no visible traffic in either direction for at least half a mile, I stopped to watch.

What happened next was a once in a lifetime vision.

The deer just kept coming, and coming, and coming,and........................................

I started to quickly count them, as they just seemed to explode across this large open expanse of field, dozens of them ! ! !
    I lost count at ! ! ! 70 ! ! !

As I'm sitting there watching all of this, I was suddenly struck by the thought......." I wonder what has them all running across such an exposed area, they usually don't wander too far from the tree line, in case they sense danger. That way they can disappear back into the woods and escape .......? "

My thought was soon answered a few moments later when a pack of WILD DOGS that numbered about 30 broke the treeline in hot pursuit. They were a mixed collection of breeds, and sizes. Someone asked me if I was sure that it was dogs and not coyotes, and there was no doubt, because a couple of them looked to be labs, shepherds, and a few that looked like pit bulls.

Quite a number of the deer ran across the road right in front of me, and disappeared into some wooded home lots on the opposite side of the road from the park.
    I soon had to move along, because I noticed some cars coming up behind me in my mirror.

I'll never forget that sight, and I tell some local folks that I know that live nearby, to watch out when they are out and about in the woods around the area. Wild dogs like this pack are very dangerous, and there is also the growing coyote problem.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom