• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    just bought a 9mm a couple of days ago... just wondering if i can get another one pretty soon? Was told i only can get one a month...any truth to that?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indiana has no "one per month" law, however, I think if you buy more than 5 in a three-day period from an FFL, the FFL has to report it to the ATF. Something about it being a red flag for straw purchases. We have a couple of FFL's here who can comment more authoritatively.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    booey, by chance are you from South Carolina (which has such a law)? Don't know, just asking.

You can buy as many firearms as you have money for. One a month, one a week, one a day, one an hour (now that's a goal!).:D

If you purchase multiple handguns from the same FFL, there are reporting requirements that the FFL must achieve to stay in compliance with his license.

F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual?

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.
    A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.
    [18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a]

Since you are buying all these guns, what are you getting me?:D

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    just adding to my collection, i shouldn't call it that, i use all my firearms. No i am looking for non expensive handguns under three hundred... hopefully 200 would be awesome... these crazy people at local gunshops are price gouging everyone. I was just at one and he wanted 400 for a bersa thunder, CRAZY!!!!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Indiana has no "one per month" law, however, I think if you buy more than 5 in a three-day period from an FFL, the FFL has to report it to the ATF.

If you purchase 2 or more handguns from the same dealer within 5 consecutive business days, the dealer must complete and file an ATF Form 3310.4 ("Report of Multiple Sale or Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers") by the end of the business day when the multiple sale occurred.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    just bought a 9mm a couple of days ago... just wondering if i can get another one pretty soon? Was told i only can get one a month...any truth to that?

I believe you can buy 5 guns on a single form. You can buy 20 in one day, but there would be multiple forms filled out because there are only so many lines on the form for serial numbers.

I bought 9 assorted rifles/handguns one day. Filled out 2 forms. I can't recall if the dealer had to call in 2 different NICS checks or if 1 NICS check covered both forms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    just adding to my collection, i shouldn't call it that, i use all my firearms. No i am looking for non expensive handguns under three hundred... hopefully 200 would be awesome... these crazy people at local gunshops are price gouging everyone. I was just at one and he wanted 400 for a bersa thunder, CRAZY!!!!!

Oh, O.K.

Understand that you are operating in a seller's market now. You may want to wait to see how the market shakes out from The Panic. I too remember the days of buying Smith 17s and 18s for $200 a pop, or a Ruger Service Six for $175.

I think we are beyond that now.:D

Remember, you don't pay too much, you can only buy too soon.:cool:

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I believe you can buy 5 guns on a single form. You can buy 20 in one day, but there would be multiple forms filled out because there are only so many lines on the form for serial numbers.

I bought 9 assorted rifles/handguns one day. Filled out 2 forms. I can't recall if the dealer had to call in 2 different NICS checks or if 1 NICS check covered both forms.

There is an form that the ffl dealer can fill out in addition to the 4473 if there are not enough lines for all the guns purchased at one time.(I have had to do this) No need for a second NICS check. They will just have to attach it to the 4473 along with the carbon copy of the atf multi-sales form.(the original goes to the atf)

Top Bottom