• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I've been in a lot of disputes about this and just curious how long do you let your deer hang and why. I have always let my deer hang for 10-14 days as long as the temp outside doesn't go above 50 degrees.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have never let one hang longer than 5 or 6 days and that was with the temps down close to freezing.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I take that back... that is what I do, but it depends how much you like the "wild or game" taste. Which for the most part is the blood. I always yell at cook in the fire house that puts too much seasonings or hot crap in the meal. I say you can always add but never take it out, the exception is game taste. You can soak in salt water and pull that flavor out if it is too overwhelming, but you can never put it back in.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Only long enough to get the skin off. If taken in the morning, it will be processed in time to be back in the stand by 15:30 or if taken in the afternoon, gets done that evening.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    At least a few days. When I shoot a deer in early archery and its warm, I put a bag of ice in its chest cavity. You have to hang a deer at least 48 hours to let the muscles begin to loosen up, but if its cool enough I like to wait 4-5 days.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    Mine are quartered and in cooler on ice within a couple of hours. drain the blood with the plug in the cooler. I process it the next free day i get. sometimes that day, sometimes a couple days later.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I've been in a lot of disputes about this and just curious how long do you let your deer hang and why. I have always let my deer hang for 10-14 days as long as the temp outside doesn't go above 50 degrees.
    That seems awfully long for anything above 36-38 degrees in a controlled cooler.

I bet it's falling off the bone tender though.

itf139053.jpg

:):

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    The 25 or so that my wife and I have killed, we hung for around 24 hrs, or long enough for the carcass to chill, with the hide on. Then skin, and butcher.

Dave

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Kill at 7:30 AM, field dress immediately, skin, cut, grind, eat for lunch at noon. I have tried hanging, don't taste any difference. Biggest taste difference is completely deboning and trimming all fat and silver membrane.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    Field dressed immediatly, and skinned as soon as possible (easier to skin when still warm) to get the meat cooled down. You never see a butcher hang a side of beef with the hide on it. If below freezing it can hang for a day or so, if not it is processed the same day.

sp3worker

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I usually have mine gutted, skinned and quartered immediatly, no reason to get dirty twice. I've hung them up for a day or two before and haven't noticed any difference. Like captpaul said, the biggest thing is getting the silver membrane and fat off. I usually give mine a good rinsing with a garden hose after I get the skin off as well.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    So far its all been field dressed, skinned, quartered as soon as I get home (woods is 5mins from my house). Then soak the quarters in heavily iced water in coolers with apple cider vinegar to help pull out blood (cause its been during warm weather so far). Soak for a few hours, then cut off the bone and silverskin removed to be packaged up and frozen in the different cuts. Any small pieces go to be made into jerky.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    Do a little research on this. Beef gets hung for 14-28 days before butchering.

Yes they kill it..dress it out...skin it and let it hang in a temperature and humity controlled environment to age before they process it.

They do not leave the hide on it while it ages

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    All you folks that think you need to draw the blood out of the meat are silly. The blood is part of what you're eating folks. You can't get it out of the meat!
    If you like the "gamy" flavor of venison, hanging it will make that more pronounced. If you don't or its above 40 degrees you need to get the hide off it quick and get it put in the freezer as soon as you can. Skinned out they cool much faster. I second the deboning and removing of the silver skin for best flavor.
    I've been known to let 'em hang in mid 40 temperatures over night but my wife gives me the skunk eye when I do. Been no problems with any of the venison we've eaten. Did have one rutting, November buck that we couldn't eat. Cooked up a skillet fulla burger and the whole house smelled like skunk. Couldn't eat it.

Top Bottom