• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It really doesn't matter if they stay or not. Crean is good for IU as a coach, roll model and ambassador for the basketball team. He will recruit quality students who are STUDENT-athletes and will help make them into productive young men.

I love seeing IU win games, but the way Coach Crean works to develop character above skill is a good thing, especially when we see how his players -- and players of coaches like him -- act once they get the big contracts.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    We will definitely have a struggle next year, nowhere near the season we had this year. I agree that Zeller, Dipo, Hulls, and Watford (honorable mention: Derek Elston) are big losses for the recovering Hoosiers, but lets not forget who we have returning:

Yogi - great player with great potentail, arguably one of the best freshman last year.

Sheehey - non-stop slasher, arguably best 6th man last year. Just needs to have a more consistant jumper.

Abel - good guard, just lost minutes last year to Yogi and Hulls. Look for him to step up next year.

Hollowell - solid player that puts in solid minutes, jsut needs a little more work.

Etherington - he was showing some promise until his knee injury, im interested to see how he bounces back.

Creek(?) - poor guy cant catch a break from injuries. Not sure if he can come back next year, but have always been a fan of him.

Mosquera-Perea - I have HIGH hopes for this kid. He had a disadvantage this season, having to sit out the first 9 games, which he needed to prepare for playing in college. This guy has all the athleticism he needs, just needs to work on fundalmentals.

Not to mention who we have coming in: Scout.com: Men's Basketball Recruiting .....not an all-star recruitment class, but some promising players in the mix. Right now we're missing a true big man so hopefully one of these incoming freshman (or Peter Jurkin, but i doubt that) can step up to the plate.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would like it if all college players finished school before going to the pros. If Zeller goes NBA he will toughen up. I watched Jeff Foster of the Pacers go from being starstruck, to being a tough as nails, "in your face" player. Zeller will do the same. Oladipo and Zeller will leave a big gap, but IU will march on. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crean replaced. He has been a good coach, but his team is one-dimensional. They need to learn how to win "grind it out" games and I'm not sure than Crean can get them there.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Now that you have lost by far your best player in Oladipo and rumors are flying around that Zeller will announce tomorrow wether he's staying or not how is IU Nation feeling going into next season without both possibly. It would be a HUGE mistake Zeller to leave as he is NO WHERE close ready for the NBA yet.

First of all, it's HOOSIER Nation

Secondly I have been a IU fan since 1970 while attending Hoosier Basketball (started by Branch McCracken in 63) camp run by David McCracken ( Branch's son) when I was 8 years old.

I bleed Cream and Crimson so much that I have been a football season ticket holder for 8 years.

Crean knew this was going to happen that's why IU is reloaded with quality recruits to slide right in. If Cody decides to leave, we have a monster coming from Wisconsin that is their Mr. Basketball, a 7 footer that has won two straight state championships.

It really doesn't matter if they stay or not. Crean is good for IU as a coach, roll model and ambassador for the basketball team. He will recruit quality students who are STUDENT-athletes and will help make them into productive young men.

I love seeing IU win games, but the way Coach Crean works to develop character above skill is a good thing, especially when we see how his players -- and players of coaches like him -- act once they get the big contracts.

Preach it Que!!!

[ame]http://youtu.be/H8hdKnr7rpE[/ame]

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    When I was a junior in college, if I had been offered $500,000 for my dream job I would have dropped out in a heart beat. That's what these guys are being offered so I really can't blame them for taking the opportunity.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I would think, after a team you beat TWICE during the regular season, goes to the final game, that Hoosiers would be feeling it's time for a coaching staff change as they obviously made no game plan adjustments for Syracuse.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I was a junior in college, if I had been offered $500,000 for my dream job I would have dropped out in a heart beat. That's what these guys are being offered so I really can't blame them for taking the opportunity.

I don't blame him either. I don't think he was ready yet. I think he would have benefited from another year or two. But, he can cash in now, so go with God as they say. That is the problem programs have now. If you go for top talent, you have to look at it as a 1-2 year proposition.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Now that you have lost by far your best player in Oladipo and rumors are flying around that Zeller will announce tomorrow whether he's staying or not how is IU Nation feeling going into next season without both possibly. It would be a HUGE mistake Zeller to leave as he is NO WHERE close ready for the NBA yet.

IU is bringing a Top 5 recruiting class. Noah Vonleh is a one and done type of talent. And they had 4 star talent such as Jeremy Hollowell and Hanner Mosquera Perea riding the bench with better players in front of them. Yogi and Sheehey return as well. Next year's team will be athletic than this past year's, although not as good or as experienced. IU will be fine, there is no reason for them not to be in the upper echelon of the Big Ten and be ranked in the Top 25 for the better part of the year.

This is a Dawgs state! :D

No it's not. Nobody cared about Butler before the back-to-back title game runs.

I think Zeller made a huge mistake. He's nowhere near ready.

NBA scouts disagree with you. He has flaws but those flaws can be corrected while he is making a million plus per season. I'll bet you anything that Cody is a lottery pick, and that he makes meaningful contributions to a team in his rookie season.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I would think, after a team you beat TWICE during the regular season, goes to the final game, that Hoosiers would be feeling it's time for a coaching staff change as they obviously made no game plan adjustments for Syracuse.

Huh? Taking a team with one player returning from the previous season to the Sweet 16 two years in a row and winning the Big Ten title in five years means he should be replaced? Wow!

Crean is a very good coach who as mentioned already coaches with class. I hope he is around for a LONG time.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

All true, but can't coach worth a damn in a game. I question his X's & O's IQ.
    :twocents:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

The transitive property doesn't work in basketball. Both Michigan and Indiana were swept by Wisconsin but Wisconsin was bounced in the round of 64. Wisconsin should fire Bo Ryan, especially since Indiana and Michigan swept a lousy Purdue team that went up to Madison and beat Wisconsin by double digits on their senior night. See how this works?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Matt Roth and Ron Patterson would like a word with you. Crean is the least respected coach in the BIG. The blow-by handshakes , chasing down assistant coaches to scream at them, the creepy coded tweets to recruits, the illegal visit to Gary Harris, the A-Hope scandal, "Creaning" has become a phrase meaning to run players off so you can sign your next recruit. Speaking of that, one of the current players will have to be Creaned, with Zeller and Oladipo leaving IU is still oversigned by 1. Ryan refers to Crean as Tommy Basketball, because he thinks he invented the game. Even Pitino took a shot at Tommy Basketball during the FF press conference. Crean is a win first coach, it is very well known in the college basketball world.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

It was very frustrating to watch IU this year. I questioned Crean's subsitution patterns and then in tight games when they (IU) would get a bit of a lead, he would go and change defense (from man to zone), and every time he did that, the other team got right back into the game. I knew they were dead meat in the Syracuse game because of the half time interview with Crean. He was asked what changes he was making for the second half and when he said he was sticking to the original game plan, I knew IU would lose. He said that that they (IU) just needed to cut down on turnovers and start hitting their shots. HELLO.....don't you think that Syracuse's 2/3 zone had something to do with turnovers and shot selection...dumbas*!!! He didn't have a plan B. :rolleyes:

It's not time for a coaching change yet, Crean has only had 2 years with some actual talent. Time will tell, his recruiting classes for the next few years are some of the best in the country. Time will tell, but as for coaching in an actual game situation, I think that is his weakness.:twocents:

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

I question your logic, but I do agree that we had no real answer for Syracuse.

I don't think that a single loss like that is grounds for firing a coach. The Big 10, and NCAA Div1 for that matter, is competitive enough that very few teams are completely dominant. For the most part, each game has to be played to determine the outcome. On certain days, the best team doesn't always win. It is who played better during that game that wins.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This is a Dawgs state! :D

who?

0000-mb179958636.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Matt Roth and Ron Patterson would like a word with you. Crean is the least respected coach in the BIG. The blow-by handshakes , chasing down assistant coaches to scream at them, the creepy coded tweets to recruits, the illegal visit to Gary Harris, the A-Hope scandal, "Creaning" has become a phrase meaning to run players off so you can sign your next recruit. Speaking of that, one of the current players will have to be Creaned, with Zeller and Oladipo leaving IU is still oversigned by 1. Ryan refers to Crean as Tommy Basketball, because he thinks he invented the game. Even Pitino took a shot at Tommy Basketball during the FF press conference. Crean is a win first coach, it is very well known in the college basketball world.

Are you confusing Crean with Calipari perhaps? :dunno:

As far as being over extended on scholarships, I would think that Creek would almost certainly be cut from the squad given his history of injuries and limited playing time.

Top Bottom