• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    In laying out protocols and other plans for bugging out, I realized that I have a major issue.

I've got elderly grandparents. 1 at a nursing home, 1 still attempting to live on his own. (Both are in their 80's)

In the event that the SHTF, big time, like the country is collapsing. What do you do?

Do you leave them some food/weapons/water and tell them you'll be back for them?
    Do you try to bring them with you, knowing that it will greatly decrease your own chances of survival?

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    That is a tough one. If you have children that depend on you I think that would make difference in the decision. I do have young children and have to say that I look out for them first and foremost. Anybody else would just hopefully understand that you can cannot do everything for everybody.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I would try to bug-in and go get them. If I had to move, I'm taking them with me. In a trailer or cart if I have to. To me, the most important thing about survival is to make sure my family survives.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm solo? Hole up and protect them... maybe 'til I'm dead.

I'm taking care of my kids? Weep and hug my g'parents goodbye, as the grandparents I had would have insisted I take their great-grandchildren to a safer place.

Mobile with them? Not gonna happen. Couldn't happen.

Now that my parents are the g'parent age, my Dad could likely go. 78 years old and still rides the harley weekly, living in Knoxville. 6'3", 210 and still strong as a horse.

He also taught me life lessons like: "As you get older, ya gotta got meaner. You're not as young and strong as ya used to be. Don't fight fair. No such thing as a fair fight anyway. Gettin' old ain't for ******s, boy."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You might be surprised. They might have knowledge you need. They've seen and done thing this generation has only read about.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm solo? Hole up and protect them... maybe 'til I'm dead.

I'm taking care of my kids? Weep and hug my g'parents goodbye, as the grandparents I had would have insisted I take their great-grandchildren to a safer place.

Mobile with them? Not gonna happen. Couldn't happen.

Now that my parents are the g'parent age, my Dad could likely go. 78 years old and still rides the harley weekly, living in Knoxville. 6'3", 210 and still strong as a horse.

He also taught me life lessons like: "As you get older, ya gotta got meaner. You're not as young and strong as ya used to be. Don't fight fair. No such thing as a fair fight anyway. Gettin' old ain't for ******s, boy."

I like him..............Sounds like a good man. He is right. As I reach the age of 62 I am no longer able to go straight at someone. I have to come from the blind side and make everything count. That's why I carry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To the OP's quandary. Every scenario is different. Could you see to their needs both mental and physical?? Medical issues?? That you care so much puts you miles ahead of so many. If they care for you it would be a no brainer. You could do more for those who would live on past the SHTF situation and start over. Sad as it is, we all come to the end of our time.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    My father is incapacitated from a stroke he suffered in 2008. We've already said our goodbyes, and he made me promise him I'd devote 100% of my efforts toward protecting my children.

I'd still feel horrible for doing it, but I'd do it. I know how I'd feel if it were me in his shoes, and I knew my kids needed to protect their children.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Thinking about it, my grandfather has plenty to contribute (guns/ammo/gold), he just isn't incredibly mobile. But..I'd say if we had a large enough window of time we could put him in my jeep passenger seat as my gunner and just roll out...

On the other hand, the nursing home grandmother...I feel like either way would be a death sentence...The nursing home will probably be ransacked in chaos for drugs, but taking her with us wouldn't be an option because we really couldn't care for her or meet her needs and still be mobile.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    You can't save/protect everyone.
    If I were 80 I'd refuse to go with my children.

But in any event, all this SHTF stuff just reminds me of all those who invested in bomb shelters in the 50s and 60s. I'm pretty confident that as the world starts to collapse, the US will be hit from China (The sleeping giant), N. Korea and Russia to stop us from interfering in the middle east. We are going to be hit so hard and so fast that we'll go down pretty quick. Especially if Obamatron and his like continue to disarm our military.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I'd hope to meet friends a lot like I am: True & Fair.

And get rid of robbers and maggots the old-fashioned way. We will be in the same fry-pan when it's SHTF time. We won't be "bricks-in-the-wall", but we'll be cogs on the gears of a very large machine. How smoothly it runs, and how well it is greased and repaired will determine the society we develop out of post-SHTF. How we've treated our elders will be the way we treat the weaker survivors of our new society. ANY ONE OF US could turn out to be a weaker survivor. "Tell me you love me!"

new_guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    If you was their age would you want your grandson to come save you or take care of his family?simple answer to me...

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Do you go and say goodbye?
    What do you do if they are scared and afraid and beg you to take them with you?

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    This is one decision I will most likely never have to make. My dads house is my first BOL and my grandparents are the fall back after that. They are in their 80's now and can't get dressed with out eachothers help. But grandma still runs the house and grandpa still tends to the yard garden and fields with very little help. Just takes him longer to get things done. Grandma still cans and freezes everything from the garden. For those of you that may have to make this decision I feel for ya cause it will be one of the hardest choices one has to make.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I don't think it's a situation that I could even anticipate right now. I have no idea what I would do in that situation. I would like to think that I would do my best to stay with them or attempt to take them with me but until I was placed in a situation like that, who knows?

I think their expertise on things like canning and growing garden food would be a great strength. Also, at the age and ability my Grandparents are, I think travel would definitely be possible. I would just worry about them getting worse as they run out of medication.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I think it really depends on your situation.

If you have elders who are living on their own this might be easier to swing on by and scoop them up on your way outta town (or back to your bug-in location)

However if they are in a group home and are in anyway under healthcare oversite, you might not be able to just walk in grab them and go...(depends on how far into SHTF) think about all the paperwork, power of attorney, etc that would be involved..

It's a tough decision if you have someone that is in a group home from the way I see it. Of course I just got done reading Survivors by James Wesley Rawles not to long ago and I am remembering how aweful the VA hospital conditions were in that story.....

Plain and simple if they are receiving medical care, routine treatments, etc.. Then even if you did get them at most you are enabling them to live confortable until they pass away, which could be very quickly....

My G'ma and G'pa are still alive and kicking and living on their own within a reaasonable distance to my home. Depending on what the crisis is I would be by to pick them up granted i have adequate transport at that time.... Right now I have one open seat in my car after the wife and daughter get in.

(After reading this, I think I should give my elders a call, been awhile since we have hung out)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    This thread is ****ed up. I just want you sick freaks to know that.

You dont evaluate your parents and grandparents, by what they have to offer YOU, in terms of gold and gardening skills.

Play acting at SHTF scenarios.. fine. Do it all day.

Dreaming about how you are going to leave your family to die......

crosses a line. Seriously guys.

Be a survivalist, be a prepper, be a gun owner, shooter, be all that you can be.

But dont be a sick freak, who sits at work dreaming about imaginary scenarios where he would have to leave his parents to die.

That will warp your thinking.

Dont take hoarding to the level that you are unwilling to provide for the people who are in your care, and that includes your parents.

There is a word for people that self-centered, and it isnt a good word.

SHTF doesnt mean you suddenly are released from every responsibility that God has ever entrusted you with.

And your family, is your primary responsibility.

Not everyone believes in the Christian God, but to those who do, this verse doesnt have a "unless its SHTF, in which case, all bets are off."

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

Sorry if I have come off as offensive, but this whole thread struck me as EXTREMLY offensive.

Whats next weeks thread? "My 3 year old might slow me down, I will have to leave him behind?"

Slippery slope.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Having been born between 1900 and 1910 my Grandparents were walking encyclopedias of How to make do. They are all gone now.
    In the end they were helpless and required constant medical care. If the balloon had went up at that point in their lives I have no doubt as to what they would have said. They were practical, down to earth people.
    Still it would be very, very hard to leave them and it would haunt you for the rest of your life.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    This thread is ****ed up. I just want you sick freaks to know that.

You dont evaluate your parents and grandparents, by what they have to offer YOU, in terms of gold and gardening skills.

Dreaming about how you are going to leave your family to die......

crosses a line. Seriously guys.

:yesway:
    I'm not going to play innocent, but i'm guilty of it. But i never go to the extreme as to say "F*** my parents" or talking about cannibalism or talking eating your own dog.

That's just playing fantasy. Also, there are many SHTF scenarios.
    zombies
    nuclear attack
    aliens
    dollar collapse
    etc
    etc
    etc

For me, i can't survive without my parents and brothers and sisters. So my goal would be to move to Texas, buy land, load up on guns, ammo, food and invite all of them to my home if SHTF.

Luckily they are on the same boat with me about moving to Texas.

Top Bottom