• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Back to the house because you forgot your firearm?

This question is for those of us who aren't perfect and may forget to grab it.

Say your traveling away over the weekend and your 20..30 ..40 miles away from home before you remember.. What do you do!?

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My first choice would be to pick up a new firearm! If that's not an option, an extra hour (return trip home) isn't very much time considering the peace of mind it would reward you with.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    No one answer is good, depends on what type of shooting is involve, how important shooting on this trip is No sense driving home if your going to miss the start of a match. Face it shooting that particular day isn't the end of the world unless it's a major championship, then shame on you

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    The idea of using this as an opportunity to purchase a gun is great. Although, this dilemma is easily solved with a dedicated "car" piece.
    I used to have a "dedicated car piece" until someone relieved me of it in the middle of the night. Not again.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    If I was 20 minutes out I would most likely keep on driving. I wouldn't feel good about it but I like to be on time or a little early. Its part of my everyday wear so forgetting isn't really a reality anyway.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    It's always on me when I leave even if I just put it in car because I'm going somewhere I can't wear it. That being said, 20 min out I would go back.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Locked container anchored to the body in a place that you have to get serious about stripping the car. Just having it in the glove box or console is not a good idea and runs the risk of the above.
    Yeah. I thought a locked glove box would be enough. Silly me. They used a pry bar. "Luckily", it was a .40 instead of a beloved 10.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Dunno about driving back to get a gun left at home, but I drove a five hour round trip several years ago to go the Dundee, MI Cabela's to buy a new Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yeah. I thought a locked glove box would be enough. Silly me. They used a pry bar. "Luckily", it was a .40 instead of a beloved 10.

Glove box and console is the first two places thieves look and a screwdriver opens those even locked because everyone knows if they are locked they have something important and probably valuable in them like cash, guns, or a spare credit card. Sorry they got you, I hate thieves and if I knew it would only hurt a thief I'd be tempted to leave a gun with a plugged barrel in mine.

My truck has a place I made under the back seat I made that I can get to reasonably easily if I need but cannot be casually detected, and my car has a place behind some trim I found.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I always double check before I leave but it would depend on where I was going and for how long if I would go back and get it.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    that's some good ideas, shibumiseeker. When we go camping, the Winnebago has plenty of hiding areas, plus the 3 barkers inside are a pretty good deterrent. The firearm stays in the entire season....kind of like American Express....you don't leave home without it

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    No one answer is good, depends on what type of shooting is involve, how important shooting on this trip is No sense driving home if your going to miss the start of a match. Face it shooting that particular day isn't the end of the world unless it's a major championship, then shame on you

Uh...a few of us here carry for self defense.

I honestly feel flat out naked without one, so unless I'm really needing to get somewhere I would go back. I'm working on getting a good way to store one in my vehicle (preferably the exact same gun I normally carry), but I want it to be secure so it needs to wait until I have the time.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    2004 Jeep UNLIMTED - secure safe box, with mini-log chain fastened to seat frame / would take a serious set of bolt cutters and a large crow bar. Hopefully another carrying gun owner would citizens arrest the thief's sorry butt.

Top Bottom