• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    After watching the "Join INGO" video posted in another thread I found it interesting to see all the different ways people held their guns while firing especially the AR's. I'm still fairly fresh (june) from a two week course with the NG where we spent hours a day on ready up drills and proper firing technique with M4's. My first reaction to the opening sequence in the video was "Tuck your elbows!!"

Here are the basics of what I was taught...

Stand feet staggered (non firing slightly forward) about shoulder width apart squared up on target.

Reach as far forward as possible. (with non firing hand) and point (pointing was taught as personal preference) with index finger towards target. (i used to grip mag well or near it reaching forward and pointing improved my shooting 10 fold. were encouraged to not use vertical forward grip and if we did to put it as far forward as the rails on the rifle allowed for better barrel control)

Tuck your elbows in tight to body.

Bring rifle up to your eye not your eye down to rifle.

I'm not saying what I was taught is right or wrong just that its my experience and it's what has worked for me. I also understand that the method I've been taught is geared towards CQB and shooting controlled pairs. I am just curious about the different ways people were taught to shoot AR's and the tips and tricks they have to offer, I'm always looking for things to improve my shooting!

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I was never 'taught' anything. I bought a shotgun and then some more shotguns and rifles and learned to use them myself and benefitted from snippets of techniques I have learned online. I feel that I can shoot adequate enough, but not to my full potential. An appleseed shoot is at the top of my priority list.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your training in the National Guard with the M4 for CQB is spot on for the mission envisioned by your Commanders for your unit.

There is a whole different world out there that you can choose to be a part of though. If you have any aspirations of joining the All Guard Rifle team, the following tips by the US Army Marksmanship Unit might be helpful.

Shooting Tips from the USAMU Service Rifle Team

The AR/M16 is used for precision competition at ranges up to 1000 yards.

Regards

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Training is a wonderful thing, still though everyone is different and you must find what works for you. Military training is standard, that's all fine and dandy but no one is standard with everyone else.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I just use the training from the USAF (31 years ago!!!) One modification I incorporated was to keep my arms tucked in close to my body. It feels comfortable and makes me an itty bitty target.:rolleyes:

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Don't forget, when your weapon is up to your face, the muzzle moves in conjunction with your eyes. Reflexive fire and CQB are good tools to add to your tool box. CQB is an art! AATW!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am just curious about the different ways people were taught to shoot AR's

With an instructor in my ear-hole! ;)
    P1010127.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've kept the same basic structure but made minor adjustments as time goes and I get a feel for what works better.

This sounds most like what the OP is talking about:
    ohivwy.jpg

Now I prefer VFGs. Here I am running with my thumb slightly on the rail, with my remaining fingers wrapped around the VFG.
    23lxtle.jpg

2vrtr2c.jpg

25f4ns8.jpg

Most recently I've been tucking the buttstock deeper into my pec muscle and running more of my hand along side the rail, with the VFG being more of a guide or handstop than anything.

After looking through the NFA Day '08 pics the OP is right, just about everyone had a slighly different variation on grip/stance. For many people that was there first time ever handling an evil black rifle.

ACT II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Sounds like you got some good instruction, sir. Military training has come a long, long way in the last few years in terms of use of long guns for CQB. It wasn't that long ago (a few years) when I helped a young ANG soldier get ready for his first tour in Iraq, and he'd received zero instruction on how to actually use his rifle for anything other than the position shooting in the qualification course.

Did your instructors 'splain why it's a good idea to place your support hand as far forward as you can and still have a reasonably comfortable hold? Or why you might want to point your support hand forefinger toward the target/threat? I hope they did . . . knowing why helps instill the techniques in my opinion.

One thing I might add is, I would suggest not getting in the habit of shooting the same number of shots each time. I raise this issue because you mentioned the concept of shooting "controlled pairs." You won't know until after a "dynamic, critical incident"* how many rounds you'll need to fire to stop any given threat or threats. When you're practicing, try to fire a different number each time.

Joseph Viray
    Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

* Catch phrase courtesy of Rob Pincus.

After watching the "Join INGO" video posted in another thread I found it interesting to see all the different ways people held their guns while firing especially the AR's. I'm still fairly fresh (june) from a two week course with the NG where we spent hours a day on ready up drills and proper firing technique with M4's. My first reaction to the opening sequence in the video was "Tuck your elbows!!"

Here are the basics of what I was taught...

Stand feet staggered (non firing slightly forward) about shoulder width apart squared up on target.

Reach as far forward as possible. (with non firing hand) and point (pointing was taught as personal preference) with index finger towards target. (i used to grip mag well or near it reaching forward and pointing improved my shooting 10 fold. were encouraged to not use vertical forward grip and if we did to put it as far forward as the rails on the rifle allowed for better barrel control)

Tuck your elbows in tight to body.

Bring rifle up to your eye not your eye down to rifle.

I'm not saying what I was taught is right or wrong just that its my experience and it's what has worked for me. I also understand that the method I've been taught is geared towards CQB and shooting controlled pairs. I am just curious about the different ways people were taught to shoot AR's and the tips and tricks they have to offer, I'm always looking for things to improve my shooting!

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Sounds like you got some good instruction, sir. Military training has come a long, long way in the last few years in terms of use of long guns for CQB. It wasn't that long ago (a few years) when I helped a young ANG soldier get ready for his first tour in Iraq, and he'd received zero instruction on how to actually use his rifle for anything other than the position shooting in the qualification course.

Did your instructors 'splain why it's a good idea to place your support hand as far forward as you can and still have a reasonably comfortable hold? Or why you might want to point your support hand forefinger toward the target/threat? I hope they did . . . knowing why helps instill the techniques in my opinion.

One thing I might add is, I would suggest not getting in the habit of shooting the same number of shots each time. I raise this issue because you mentioned the concept of shooting "controlled pairs." You won't know until after a "dynamic, critical incident"* how many rounds you'll need to fire to stop any given threat or threats. When you're practicing, try to fire a different number each time.

Joseph Viray
    Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

* Catch phrase courtesy of Rob Pincus.

Our S.O.P. in the Army is controlled pairs.

Top Bottom