• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I love chili. My dad made the best. When my wife and I were just dating, she invited me over to her parents house to have chili soup. "Chili soup", I thought--that soup part must be a Hoosier suffix term they add on for some reason. Imagine my surprise when I sat down and it was......chili SOUP. Ugh...with noodles and everything (except beans--her brother hates beans). I couldn't put enough crackers into that stuff to even make it look like chili.

:laugh:

Same issue I had when I was first married, it was like chili cut 1-1 with water.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I cook 1 lb of chorizo and once it's close to being done I add 2lbs of ground chuck, a large white onion and probably 1/4 cup or so of chili powder and cook until the ground beef is browned. To that I add three large cans of diced tomatoes, 1 can of black beans, 1 can of pinto beans and simmer for a couple of hours. Deoending on who is eating I'll toss in some diced jalapeno.

No pasta in the chili in this house. We usually eat it with some shredded cheddar cheese, a little bit of sour cream and crackers or cornbread.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    In my opinion Chili does NOT have noodles of any sort in it, especially elbow macaroni. Chili with elbow macaroni is called goulash in my book. My wife does not agree with me on this and that's because her Mom makes it with noodles and add sugar too. That mess ain't fitten to eat :puke:

Deer Head Tavern in Evansville has the best and hottest restaurant made chili I have ever eaten. It's called Texas Red. Yip no beans just yummy goodness that will pop out beads of sweat on the tuffest of those who dare to try it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Our family recipe:

Brown 1-2lbs ground beef or turkey with a medium onion, diced. (diced green peppers are also good) Add to crock pot.
    Add a can of beans (optional as real chili doesn’t have beans)
    Add 1 LARGE can of tomato juice
    Add two regular cans of diced stewed tomatoes.
    One can tomato paste
    One can tomato sauce
    1 Tablespoon sugar (cuts the acidity)
    1Tablespoon black pepper
    Salt to taste
    Two Tablespoons of chili powder. Mild or hot, your preference.
    Cook on low all day.

Optionally you can serve it OVER noodles to extend it, but I agree, no noodles IN the product.

And I make pan fried cornbread in my great grandmother's cast iron skillet. Its a civil war era reicpe that is pretty much just cornmeal, salt, some bacon grease cut in, and then made into a dough ball by adding BOILING water. flatten it out in a skillet with some bacon grease and brown both sides. Doesnt taste like much, but it reminds me of my childhood.

We are getting ready to make it tomorrow coincidentally...

IMG_1908.JPG

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Blue Sky Chicken Chili

4 to 5 servings

Ingredients
    ½ lb Chicken (cubed) {white meat preferred}
    1 Small Onion (chopped)
    1 Small Green Pepper (chopped)
    2 t Cooking Oil (as needed to sauté onions & peppers)
    ½ bulb Garlic (minced)
    2 T Sun Dried Tomatoes (optional)
    ¼ Cup Water
    2 ½ T Chili Powder
    ½ T Cumin Powder
    1¼ Cup Tomatoes (chopped) {substitute 10oz of canned, chopped tomatoes}
    10 oz Pureed Tomatoes {buy two extra cans for party size to use if needed}
    ¼ t Oregano
    ¼ t Sugar
    1 can Black Beans (drained) 15 oz cans
    {substitute dried beans – soaked overnight – boil 1 min. – simmer 15 min.}
    1 T Green Chili Pepper (diced) (sauté before adding if too hot)
    ½ Cup Cilantro (chopped)

4 to 5 Servings
    1) Cook chicken in a skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
    2) At the same time, in a nonstick skillet, sauté the onion and green pepper in oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
    3) Combine the cooked meat and vegetables in a large pot. Add garlic and sundried tomatoes. Mix together water, chili powder, cumin and add to meat mixture. Add chopped and pureed tomatoes, oregano and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking.
    4) Uncover and add the beans and chili peppers. Simmer uncovered for at least 15 minutes. During last 5 minutes add cilantro. Stir to prevent sticking.

Party Size
    Multiply above quantities by Six(6)
    1) Cook chicken - may need to do in two or three batches and transfer to large pot.
    2) Sauté the onion and green pepper - may need to do in two or three batches and transfer to large pot.
    3) Combine chicken, green pepper, onion and step #3 ingredients in a large pot (10-12 quarts). Note: only add about two thirds of chopped and pureed tomatoes initially. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking.
    4) Uncover and add two thirds of the beans and chili peppers. Simmer uncovered for at least 30 minutes. During last 10 minutes add cilantro. Stir to prevent sticking.
    5) During steps #3 and #4 add more tomatoes and beans as necessary based on pot size as well as if needed to stretch recipe for additional servings. If simmering a long time at the party add more tomato puree if chili is getting too thick.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    And I make pan fried cornbread in my great grandmother's cast iron skillet. Its a civil war era reicpe that is pretty much just cornmeal, salt, some bacon grease cut in, and then made into a dough ball by adding BOILING water. flatten it out in a skillet with some bacon grease and brown both sides. Doesnt taste like much, but it reminds me of my childhood.

That sounds like something we used to have from time to time. But I don't remember the boiling water being involved though. It wasn't "diet" food, that's for sure. :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I put macaroni in mine.
    i brown about a pound of hamburger with a chopped onion. Add tomato juice, chili powder, salt, pepper and some cayenne pepper. Then a can of chili beans. Simmer for a half hour or so. Then add some macaroni, simmer until done, stirring pretty often, about a half hour. Sometimes I will add one of those cans of tomatoes with green chiles.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Depending on head count.
    One pound meat, ground or cubed
    half of yellow onion-diced
    half red onion-diced
    small can of "hot" chili beans
    large can of regular chili beans
    one can diced tomatos
    one can tomato paste
    1pack of chili seasoning
    add salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder to taste.

this makes a dinner for two adults.
    Just get in the kitchen and try stuff out. Add or subtract ingredients to your liking.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I put macaroni in mine.
    i brown about a pound of hamburger with a chopped onion. Add tomato juice, chili powder, salt, pepper and some cayenne pepper. Then a can of chili beans. Simmer for a half hour or so. Then add some macaroni, simmer until done, stirring pretty often, about a half hour. Sometimes I will add one of those cans of tomatoes with green chiles.

Ban Expat!!! His foolishness will destroy us all. :drama:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Basic recipe:

2 lbs ground chuck
    1 medium onion
    2 cloves garlic
    _______________ brown meat, onion, and garlic and drain_______________
    Add:
    2 cans of chili ready tomatoes (red gold or whatever is on sale)
    2 cans large cans Brooks Hot chili beans
    1 qt canned tomatoes (drained)
    2 cans tomato paste if you want thick chili or
    2 qts spicy v-8 for a thinner chili
    Season with chili power to taste (remember it will gain intensity after sitting overnight)
    1 beer (I prefer Coors Banquet <<<suggest altering recipe to 2 beers ;) )
    Add macaroni or spaghetti <1 c, if desired

Cook on a low heat for 2 hours, place in fridge and reheat the next night. Enjoy.

Top Bottom