• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I don't get the point of paying for a duplicate. The state doesn't require you to carry your license. So just leave the paper in your file cabinet.

Which one of the two people you quoted are you disagreeing with? I'm bored out of my mind and have no qualms about sifting through the I.C. :)

bf says you don't have to carry it. My IMPD neighbor told me a story how he has had a run in twice with a thug carrying w/o his LTCH but claims he has one. He learned carrying the card when you're carrying the firearm is a requirement.

See if you can prove/disprove that. This officer is referred to as "The Professor" so I lean toward his perception of the law.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    bf says you don't have to carry it. My IMPD neighbor told me a story how he has had a run in twice with a thug carrying w/o his LTCH but claims he has one. He learned carrying the card when you're carrying the firearm is a requirement.

See if you can prove/disprove that. This officer is referred to as "The Professor" so I lean toward his perception of the law.

That one is easy. I believe it was July of either 2011 0r 2012 where the wording was changed and the words "in your possession" were removed. It was the same time the LTCH info was linked to the DL database. I'll be back to quote codes shortly...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That one is easy. I believe it was July of either 2011 0r 2012 where the wording was changed and the words "in your possession" were removed. It was the same time the LTCH info was linked to the DL database. I'll be back to quote codes shortly...

Ok, Current code:

IC 35-47-2-1 Version a
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person
    convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also
    following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and
    section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any
    vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under
    this chapter to carry a handgun.

The previous version (pre-2011) was this:

Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

Here's some confirmation:

You don't have to have it on you any longer. It used to be it had to be in your possession, but now as long as it can be verified you have one that satisfies the law.

The burden of proof is still on the license holder:

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ok, Current code:
    IC 35-47-2-1 Version a
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person
    convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also
    following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and
    section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any
    vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under
    this chapter to carry a handgun.

The previous version (pre-2011) was this:
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

Here's some confirmation:
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's You don't have to have it on you any longer. It used to be it had to be in your possession, but now as long as it can be verified you have one that satisfies the law.

The burden of proof is still on the license holder:
    IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32

I stand corrected. Now I need to go have an uncomfortable conversation with a certain neighbor. :rolleyes:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Those who are getting no results, did you apply for your LTCH's before the apps went to online? I would imagine that those "application numbers" aren't in the database.

My original (4 year) LTCH was done on paper with ink fingerprints, but when I renewed to the Lifetime, they had switched to online applications and my lifetime has a different license number. When I search my original license number (the ink and paper application), I get "No results found", but the one I applied for online gave me my app number.

I think so, yeah. I did everything on paper, even the finger prints...the digi-scan thingy was down the day I went in.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "no info found" for me.
    I applied for my Lifetime a mere 2 months after they first began offering them.
    No-one was even mentioning the internet yet.

It may be a while before my info is in the new system I guess.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think they should upgrade us to plastic for free as a courtesy. Especially since they never asked for permission from US to fold our info into the driver's license database.

Silly Burl....They had your info. They didn't need your permission, esp. since both systems and both licenses are actually their property and you're graciously allowed to pay for and hold onto them until and unless they are demanded.

If there is supposed to be purple in the above sentence, you'll have to find it yourself.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Tell me, are the plastic ones still pink? I believe I'll just wait until my current laminated pink paper LTCH starts deteriorating.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I stand corrected. Now I need to go have an uncomfortable conversation with a certain neighbor. :rolleyes:

Make sure you print out the IC provided, otherwise "the professor" will claim you are incorrect.

A friend who has been having some issues with a neighbor (no, not Sneeze) and is shopping for a handgun took my advice and applied for his Larry today on the site. He had all kinds of problems and called ISP. He was told the site "is broken and they are working on fixing it ASAP". That would explain all of your weird errors. Its not you, its the site.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...He had all kinds of problems and called ISP. He was told the site "is broken and they are working on fixing it ASAP". That would explain all of your weird errors. Its not you, its the site.

Sounds like obamacare, eh? Anyone know if ISP is running it or contractors?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Anyone know if ISP is running it or contractors?

I'd bet this guy knows, but he won't admit it.

Have her send an email to ISP@isp.in.gov with her information and the staff from the firearms license unit will look into the issue. Also, the new online application program (go to ISP: Home) will allow her to create a user name and password for an account that will allow her to track where her application is throughout the process. The goal is to keep applicants informed throughout the entire process until they get their card. Another feature of the new program is that address changes, name changes (marriage) and requests for a duplicate license can all be performed online. Firearms Dealers licenses (state) are also completed online starting today.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Nor me.

Odd that they want the city of birth. I don't remember that on the application. Plus, that adds a huge potential subset to the database.

I don't remember the form asking for employer's name and address either... but it does now.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    When one of you receives the plastic one, let us know if they shrunk it down to typical credit card/DL size or if it's still a little longer than those. I shrunk my paper one down to CC/DL size and laminated it so it would fit well within my wallet. If the plastic one is that goofy size, I probably won't get one as I imagine it would be hard to make it smaller.

Shrinking instructions: Stick card in the Microwave for 1 minute. If further reduction is required; Microwave it again for 30 seconds, until you are satisfied with the end result. Let it sit for 5 minutes before sticking it in your WALLET.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just called. They are currently working on the site, still adding licenses and such. And they just had the site up and running.

She said give it a couple days, and try again.

I'm so glad it's not just me.

I got a not found error too.
    Will try again in a few days.

I should have realized that when the government says something will be ready on a certain date, it's foolhardy to think it will actually be so. :):

Top Bottom