• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    We are headed out for Squirrel. How did your hunt in the snow go? Report results or stories here. Hopefully we'll bag a few tree rats playing in the snow.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Dad just called me out here in AZ. Told me he opted for the Knight Muzzy instead of the flint lock this morning. Apparently didn't get it dried out enough from a rigorous clean job he did on it, cap popped but gun didn't go bang. 5 does kept right on walking. Sent me a pic of the snow, miss it thats for sure. Good luck everyone!

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I took the muzzy for deer, shoulda gone with the .17 for squirrels. There were a ton of them very active this morning. C'est la vie.

HB

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I took the muzzy for deer, shoulda gone with the .17 for squirrels. There were a ton of them very active this morning. C'est la vie.

HB

Well we didn't see anything moving in our area. Last weekend there were tons of squirrels making all kinds of noise and running around. Went to the same spot today and zippo. I guess they were all in their nest laughing at my boy and me.

Son's first (mostly likely last) hunt in the snow. Strong winds came up and knock all the snow of the limbs. Boy called me on the radio and said he got about 3 inches in a minute :): That was the last straw.

We did have a good talk history; told him now, maybe, he had a bit of an understanding of what our fore fathers at Valley Forge or at the Bulge must have endured on our behave.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Took the .50 cal Hawken out hoping to fill my tag. Had about 2 inches come down from 8-9:30; real pretty. Didn't see any deer, but the squirrels were really moving, saw at least 10 running, climbing, chasing one another, etc.

Had hundreds of crows invade our space for about an hour as well... ridiculously loud.

Called it a day at 1pm; needed to discharge the Hawken so I took out a massive fox squirrel at 30 yds out & 30 ft. up. He's soaking in salt water in the fridge tonight :-)

Might pack a .22 pistol tomorrow alongside the muzzy.

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Saw nothing but snow and a beautiful woods. Called it a day about 3pm. One had walked by my stand sometime in the morning just before i got there. Was alone, only 1 set of tracks.

Nathan

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    Went out this morning and didn't see a thing. Went to another spot late afternoon. I grunted at a 6 pointer walking across a field. He stopped and stared at me 150 yds, broadside. Steady aim and completely calm, I thought I had the perfect shot. The gun popped, barely kicked, and I swear the deer was laughing as he ran away. I got lazy, should have reloaded after spending all morning in the wet snow.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looked like a snowman by the end of the day. Deer seem to have left my area, very few tracks.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Got in my stand around 3pm, sat thereuntil 6pm. Uh... burrr....:rolleyes: Saw NOTHING but 1 squirrel, and 1 bird. NOTHING was moving, the woods was dead quiet. There were no deer track in the snow from the morning either.

I FOUND the deer walking back to my Jeep. There were moving ACROSS the road in the field. But NOT in the woods I was in.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I decided to stay home on Sunday after Church. Bit too windy. I don't think I could last more than 2 hrs in these conditions.

You would have had to walk around and bump them up today. They won't move around in these temps and wind.

I remember SEVERAL years ago a buddy and I went out in -0* and set in treestands for about 2.5 hours one afternoon/evening.:n00b: We saw deer, just not in range. It was miserable. Brutal would be a better description!

I guess I'm too old for that kind of crap now.:rolleyes:

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I sat in a stand this morning till I spotted a doe about 250 yards away from me through the woods. I got down, snuck up to a tree and couldn't see her anymore so I went on the opposite side of a ridge to get closer. When I popped up I spotted her bedded down on a knob that came out off a ridge. Did the ninja sneak attack and got 60 yards away. I could only see a sliver of her back and her head so guess what I did next. That's right, I shot her in the neck and killed her dead. I love hunting in the snow.

Also found a fresh scrape and what looked to be some red colored doe pea in the snow. So, don't eat the red snow.

Top Bottom