GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah I don't know it's so much of a surprise for folks with our interests this is happening. But I was a bit amazed about the magnitudes involved.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Very good read. Article has the potential to ruffle a few feathers. Main stream media got a hold of this and the author would be labeled a racist in a heart beat.

One thing that I'm curious about is how somebody would go about fixing this issue?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Going back to the 60s there has been a misguided perception with leadership that taking guns away from folks in the burbs would somehow address problems in the hood. Sort of like the story of the drunk looking for his keys under the street light because he can see better in the light.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wouldn't say that its covered up. The stats are in plain view and well known to anyone who wants them. However, as a nation, we tend to be cowards when it comes to talking about race. What's that sports announcer fellow who got everyone all worked up when he defended Marc Cuban? Yeah, he's the reason more black folks don't want to speak up, you speak up and those within the black community with a vested interest in the "everyone's still incredibly racist/institutionalized racism" crowd will disown you as 'not black enough' for threatening their interests. White folks don't want to speak up because being labeled a racist is about as appealing as being labeled a pedophile. The easiest way to avoid that is to simply avoid the topic. If you enter the fray, like Marc Cuban apparently did, then expect attacks even if what you said is in no way racist.

I started to go off on a long and uninteresting tangent, but I'll just say I never understood how ingrained racial identity and feelings of racism went among some segments of the population until I joined the military. My first wife was black, and it was absolutely fascinating to see the reactions of some people. I remember a black guy in my unit who came up to me and said he thought I was a racist prior to meeting my wife. His basis? Predominantly that I was from a rural background and never ate lunch with him or his friends (who were mixed race, btw). The real reason I never ate with them: They watched Jerry Springer during lunch, and I thought the show was stupid and preferred to sit where there was no television. He never approached me because he just assumed I was racist until he saw proof I wasn't and then wondered what the actual reason I didn't sit with them was, which opened up the race conversation. Race conversations are weird, lots of tip-toe on both sides of an honest debate, lots of shrill declarations in the dishonest ones.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Article completely (deliberately???) ignores economic and educational factors, and the way that certain segments of the population have been systematically excluded from the rest of society. Without looking at the whole picture, it lacks credibility. The author's conclusion is simple (and simpleminded) - black and brown people are inferior to whites, period.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wish he addressed the impact poverty plays in this.

Agreed, I think the underlying issue is economic and that race is merely circumstantial. Truthfully I don't know how to comment about or even understand the culture of inner city and urban youth.

BBI pretty much hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that white guys like me don't want to be labeled a racist.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Im sure the reasons for what we observe are varied and complex. I don't for a moment believe, and I don't think the author did either, attribute it only to race. I interpreted what he was saying was as much a reflection upon us as opposed to saying it's all a certain minority's fault. But by ignoring the correlations, there can be no real progress made against the other factors that are underlying it all.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    BBI pretty much hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that white guys like me don't want to be labeled a racist.
    It didn't take long right here in this thread for it to be charged. You can not even state that there appears to be a statistically significant difference to get the label.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Indianapolis Population and Demographics (Indianapolis, IN)

Above are demographics for Indianapolis. 69% are white. 25% are black. I don't know the % of violent crime among blacks in our city, but I have seen statistics that usually run in the 50-60% range in most metropolitan areas.

The white folks in the ghetto are just as poor as the black folks in the ghetto. They all seem to have the same government "hand out" mentality. I know, I've sold burial insurance in the ghetto for the last 2 years.

So while a lower income may be a contributing factor to violent crime, it does not explain why 25% of the population commit over half of that crime.

Am I racist for pointing this facts out? Yes I am. I see that there is something inherently different between the races. Their culture and overall mindset is different, worldwide might I add.

Am I prejudiced? No I am not. I am no respecter of persons.

But I will say this, when I'm leaving my car to knock on a prospects house in the ghetto and I see 3 black youths walking my way, I am more concerned than if I see 3 white youths.

The discussion our country needs to have is an honest discourse on racism vs prejudice.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Indianapolis Population and Demographics (Indianapolis, IN)

Above are demographics for Indianapolis. 69% are white. 25% are black. I don't know the % of violent crime among blacks in our city, but I have seen statistics that usually run in the 50-60% range in most metropolitan areas.

The white folks in the ghetto are just as poor as the black folks in the ghetto. They all seem to have the same government "hand out" mentality. I know, I've sold burial insurance in the ghetto for the last 2 years.

So while a lower income may be a contributing factor to violent crime, it does not explain why 25% of the population commit over half of that crime.

Am I racist for pointing this facts out? Yes I am. I see that there is something inherently different between the races. Their culture and overall mindset is different, worldwide might I add.

Am I prejudiced? No I am not. I am no respecter of persons.

But I will say this, when I'm leaving my car to knock on a prospects house in the ghetto and I see 3 black youths walking my way, I am more concerned than if I see 3 white youths.

The discussion our country needs to have is an honest discourse on racism vs prejudice.
    No way to have an honest conversation about race and crime in this country... Too much white guilt.. I work in a racially diverse work place and have several friends that are black and brown.. Black folks are much more sensitive as a whole when it comes to race.. Probably because of this countries history against black people.. That being said. The black and brown communities have to solve the crime issue nationwide from within.. Until then things will never change. Said that the minorities as a whole cannot get things changed whatever the problems are that cause these skewered crime stats..

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I certainly don't consider myself raciest, I have roomed with, ran around with and had many good friends of various races. However I do get riled when minorities (of any decent) speak as though they are "owed" something due to their ancestors mistreatment in the past! My Great Grandmother was 100% Cherokee, and if you want to look at racial bias and mistreatment, the Native American population has had about as much as any race, she is not even buried with her spouse, most likely the cemetery was considered "white" only, she is in a cemetery in Momence Il, 30 mi away. Read about the Trail of Tears sometime. I do not, nor have I ever felt that I am "owed" anything, due to the "raciest" actions of past generations.

I don't know why children / teens join gangs, whether it is related to religion (lack of), parental attitudes, apathy. poverty I certainly don't have the answer. I was raised in a home without a lot of money, father passed when I was 10 years old, but never thought I was "poor". My mother was proud, we never took a cent of any "government" or other aid. She worked at many jobs to raise me, and I worked at jobs when not in school. I was never in any legal trouble.

It is inescapable that the data proves that certain groups (almost forbidden word "races") are the predominate cause of high crime rates / murders in many areas. Although very rarely mentioned, Fox news a few weeks ago did state that 80 some percent (can't remember the exact percentage they stated) of all murders in Indy were connected with drugs! I don't know why the drug crimes favor certain races, whether their use is more accepted by parents, peers etc., but it is obvious to me at least, that many / most of the drug related murders are committed by minorities, as shown on the daily news.

I surely wish I had the answer, as needless deaths of persons of any race is tragic. I am concerned that in avoiding the "raciest" tag, some of the authorities are afraid to really examine the true causes. By not speaking out about the "groups" and causes of the crimes, maybe they are missing the solution!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    . . . I interpreted what he was saying was as much a reflection upon us as opposed to saying it's all a certain minority's fault. But by ignoring the correlations, there can be no real progress made against the other factors that are underlying it all.

Yeah, that about says it for me. I think that the presentation of the author's ideas was so clumsy that the article left itself wide open to the negative inferences being drawn from it.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    No way to have an honest conversation about race and crime in this country... Too much white guilt.. I work in a racially diverse work place and have several friends that are black and brown.. Black folks are much more sensitive as a whole when it comes to race.. Probably because of this countries history against black people.. That being said. The black and brown communities have to solve the crime issue nationwide from within.. Until then things will never change. Said that the minorities as a whole cannot get things changed whatever the problems are that cause these skewered crime stats..

I'm sure that the minority communities would love to solve these problems, seeing how they are also disproportionately victims of the crimes. I just want to add this thought (and I don't believe you meant to imply otherwise, your comment just made me think). I like to think that it's "our" problem, and the contributions we make toward a mitigation (I couldn't bring myself to say "solution") for the problem will depend on where we find ourselves in the grand scheme of things.

So maybe I should donate a nice little Maverick 88 I've got sitting around to the Armed Citizens Project. I'll leave the unemployment, poverty, hopelessness, family, parenting, morality, education issues to the big boys to deal with. We all do what we can.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I'm sure that the minority communities would love to solve these problems, seeing how they are also disproportionately victims of the crimes. I just want to add this thought (and I don't believe you meant to imply otherwise, your comment just made me think). I like to think that it's "our" problem, and the contributions we make toward a mitigation (I couldn't bring myself to say "solution") for the problem will depend on where we find ourselves in the grand scheme of things.

So maybe I should donate a nice little Maverick 88 I've got sitting around to the Armed Citizens Project. I'll leave the unemployment, poverty, hopelessness, family, parenting, morality, education issues to the big boys to deal with. We all do what we can.
    You see EdC.. I don't consider it my problem.. I'm not a minority and live in a rural setting so I just get to visit the urban areas to work and then go back home.. Being white and middle class predicates this problem even affecting me or my immediate family ... I don't associate with drug users or thugs some of which I'm related to so statistics say I am more likely to die in a vehicle accident or by lightning than at the hand of another person.. If I were black or brown then I could have a voice but because I'm not I don't get to weigh in on the issue on a larger level.. I sympathize with people affected by this epidemic but they have got to want a change themselves!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom