• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madboy007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    ny
    wanna hunting birds next weekend,searching outdoor watch online,found this watch it looks cool,but too cheap ,is it reliable?Any personal experences with them would love to hear,tks!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hunting birds with a watch?
    What gauge does your watch need to be?

For example - If your watch is 20ga, it might be fine for small game like quail and grouse but if it's geese that you're hunting, then you are way under powered and you'll need a larger caliber watch.

Like a 10 gauge magnum Seiko or Omega.

Of course if you can't afford a good quality bird hunting watch with all the proper safety features, then maybe you're better off just getting a non-firing cheap chinese watch and using an actual gun to do your hunting. :n00b:

Last edited:

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    No experience with that model, but it seems "do it all" watches like that don't have a very good altimeter, etc., especially at that price point. For a basic, durable watch, I prefer a $35 Ironman.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Here's a $40 watch I bought for my son's birthday

134020d1223895917-expedition-18-commander-id-watch-timex.jpg

It's a Timex expedition with analog hands and digital with the ability to track 3 or 4 timezones, stop watch, indiglow, working bezel and 100m water proof.

When I comes to watches, I will always go for analog hands with digital time. There are land nav tricks you can do with analog hands, plus the hands are usually more visible than a digital readout.

madboy007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    ny
    Hunting birds with a watch?
    What gauge does your watch need to be?

For example - If your watch is 20ga, it might be fine for small game like quail and grouse but if it's geese that you're hunting, then you are way under powered and you'll need a larger caliber watch.

Like a 10 gauge magnum Seiko or Omega.

Of course if you can't afford a good quality bird hunting watch with all the proper safety features, then maybe you're better off just getting a non-firing cheap chinese watch and using an actual gun to do your hunting. :n00b:
    ya,the hunting place i wanna go is a remote countryside ,so i need a multi-fashion stuff with me!lol

madboy007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    ny
    Here's a $40 watch I bought for my son's birthday

134020d1223895917-expedition-18-commander-id-watch-timex.jpg

It's a Timex expedition with analog hands and digital with the ability to track 3 or 4 timezones, stop watch, indiglow, working bezel and 100m water proof.

When I comes to watches, I will always go for analog hands with digital time. There are land nav tricks you can do with analog hands, plus the hands are usually more visible than a digital readout.
    sounds cool!

madboy007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    ny
    No experience with that model, but it seems "do it all" watches like that don't have a very good altimeter, etc., especially at that price point. For a basic, durable watch, I prefer a $35 Ironman.
    good advice,this multi-fashion outdoor watch at that price probably not that reliable.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Personally I'd pass on any "outdoor" watch that didn't have the following 2 features:

ELECTRONIC COMPASS
    BAROMETRIC PRESSURE

Really NICE features, especially if you use a topographical map:

ALTIMETER
    CHRONOGRAPH
    ALARM

Reasonably worthless feature, conversation starter, curiosity:

THERMOMETER

Regarding the BAROMETER + COMPASS, I have one and those are the two best features ever added to a watch if you go into areas which are unfamiliar to you. Test the "watch compass" against a real compass to insure it is reasonably accurate before you rely upon it for direction! Mine works well and has been tested frequently and used often. I trust it to give me a pretty good bearing to magnetic north. The barometric pressure is great to predict weather for up to about 12 hours and can give you a pretty good heads up to incoming weather changes. Learn to use it and use it often. It can be a life saver.

An ALTIMETER is nice if you have a topographic map with you and can help you find your location, indicate false peaks, etc. But if you don't carry a topographic map then its all but useless.

One feature that I am not really thrilled with is a THERMOMETER. If I'm cold then I know its cold outside. If I'm hot and sweaty, its a safe bet its hot outside. So I find little 'real world' use for a thermometer on a watch.

The CHRONOGRAPH function can be very helpful if you figure out how to use it with a topographical map. You can track your progress, estimate time to your next waypoint, give time estimates to locations where you will meet others from your group, etc all by learning to use the Chrono with your map. Very useful tool. This is doubly useful if you have an ALARM function because the ALARM can alert you when you are to be at an expected point on your map based on your travel speed. It may help you pick up your pace, or radio to your companions asking where they are and why they are not at the set meeting point, etc.

My particular watch is not a cheap watch, it has all of the above features, and more, but these features can be found on many watches in many price categories. Find one you like, TEST ITS FEATURES BEFORE YOU NEED TO RELY UPON THEM, and then use it once it has proven to be reliable.

Last edited:

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    One feature that I am not really thrilled with is a THERMOMETER. If I'm cold then I know its cold outside. If I'm hot and sweaty, its a safe bet its hot outside. So I find little 'real world' use for a thermometer on a watch.

Just be sure insulate the watch from your skin otherwise the reading will be off.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom