• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They tacked on a measure to delay Obamacare a year, fund the military during the shutdown and a couple of other minor things, but they've essentially voted to shut down the government. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out and to see if the gop decides to actually own it when the consequences of their actions (for good or ill) come home to roost.

House GOP votes to delay Obamacare for one year

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Odd. I see a bill to fund the government, not shut it down. Others may reject it at which point it can be legitimately argued that they are for a government shutdown.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Odd. I see a bill to fund the government, not shut it down. Others may reject it at which point it can be legitimately argued that they are for a government shutdown.
    Well, when you start from a different set of assumptions, you're not as likely to see a particular group of people as responsible for every potentially negative outcome.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

They know that it will be voted against in the senate and that, even if by some miracle it passed the senate, Obama has already said he'd veto it. The house republicans already know the outcome of their attachments. Frankly, I'm looking forward to the shutdown. Maybe folks will finally realise they don't miss it and actually vote for smaller, almost non-existent government.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hmmm...I guess compromise is much overrated. The House wants to completely defund it, the Senate and the POTUS don't want it defund it at all. The Senate rejected their first offer, so the House counter offered, so to speak. If it were me, I'd just sent the first offer (bill) back but the House, speaking for the majority of public sentiment, is attempting to mitigate the impending disaster by offering a compromise bill.

You've got to give the Senate credit, they're standing up for their convictions. The spineless Republicans are once again, caving. For comparison, I'd like to know what the LP would do if they had a majority in one of the chambers. We've seen this tired, frustrating, kabuki dance many times in the past. How would "fresh blood" handle this situation?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    They know that it will be voted against in the senate and that, even if by some miracle it passed the senate, Obama has already said he'd veto it. The house republicans already know the outcome of their attachments.

So, the GOP must change their position or they are responsible for a shutdown. If the Senate or Obama don't change their positions, then they are not responsible for a shut down. Extending this, the only way for the GOP to not be responsible for whatever labels the Democrats want to throw at them is to vote with the Democrats 100% of the time. Gotcha.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hmmm...I guess compromise is much overrated. The House wants to completely defund it, the Senate and the POTUS don't want it defund it at all. The Senate rejected their first offer, so the House counter offered, so to speak. If it were me, I'd just sent the first offer (bill) back but the House, speaking for the majority of public sentiment, is attempting to mitigate the impending disaster by offering a compromise bill.

You've got to give the Senate credit, they're standing up for their convictions. The spineless Republicans are once again, caving. For comparison, I'd like to know what the LP would do if they had a majority in one of the chambers. We've seen this tired, frustrating, kabuki dance many times in the past. How would "fresh blood" handle this situation?

The LP has already spoken to the matter. They are calling for defunding and repealing Obamacare.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So, the GOP must change their position or they are responsible for a shutdown. If the Senate or Obama don't change their positions, then they are not responsible for a shut down. Extending this, the only way for the GOP to not be responsible for whatever labels the Democrats want to throw at them is to vote with the Democrats 100% of the time. Gotcha.

No. The house gop is responsible for the shutdown. The senate gop has shown no willingness to embrace a shutdown, nor have the senate democrats. The house gop knows what the consequences of their bill may be and they're seemingly all in on it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So....does anyone think that your representatives are voting the way you expected them to when you voted for them?
    Politics don't make a lot of sense to me.
    My great grandfather was a Republican and mayor of our small town. He told me to be elected there you had to be Republican.
    My grandfather was the mail carrier. He was a democrat and told me if you wanted a job working for the Govt that you had to be a democrat.
    My Great Grandmother was the boss over both of them. She didn't make a lick of sense most of the time unless we were going fishing. Politics, I still don't have it figured out all the way I guess.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The LP has already spoken to the matter. They are calling for defunding and repealing Obamacare.

The House has had a number of votes to repeal ObamaCare and is now trying to defund it. I get that is fun to criticize, second guess, and laugh at others' efforts. What would a LP House majority do differently than what the House has done?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    No. The house gop is responsible for the shutdown. The senate gop has shown no willingness to embrace a shutdown, nor have the senate democrats. The house gop knows what the consequences of their bill may be and they're seemingly all in on it.

No, the Senate and president would be responsible for the shutdown. The Senate and president have shown no willingness to avoid a shutdown by coming to any kind of agreement with the House. They both know what the consequences of their intransigence may be and they're seemingly all in on it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The House has had a number of votes to repeal ObamaCare and is now trying to defund it. I get that is fun to criticize, second guess, and laugh at others' efforts. What would a LP House majority do differently than what the House has done?
    They'd vote to defund and repeal it. Is that so hard to fathom? Or are you under some mistaken idea that I am against a government shutdown? I find the entire thing rather amusing, frankly.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They'd vote to defund and repeal it. Is that so hard to fathom? Or are you under some mistaken idea that I am against a government shutdown? I find the entire thing rather amusing, frankly.

No. I understood your posts quite well. What I don't understand is, given the GOP led House is a feckless bunch of clowns, is how a hypothetical LP House majority would have attacked this problem any differently. At this point, assuming your posts are insight into how the LP would address this issue, they would do virtually nothing differently than the GOP led House.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No. I understood your posts quite well. What I don't understand is, given the GOP led House is a feckless bunch of clowns, is how a hypothetical LP House majority would have attacked this problem any differently. At this point, assuming your posts are insight into how the LP would address this issue, they would do virtually nothing differently than the GOP led House.
    Yep. And the OP would still read "House Votes For Government Shutdown".

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And it would still just be as one sided and ignore the Senate/president's role in any shutdown.
    If the bill to fund the government was sent sans any add ons, like defunding Obamacare, it would be passed. The house gop aren't entirely stupid, they know that adding that measure ensures a shutdown, given the makeup of the senate and their previous statements (republican AND democrat). Their role was already known and the house could easily have sent them a clean bill. They chose not to, and they are aware of the consequences of their actions. If they are oblivious to their actions, (which could be a possibility, given the IQ's of some of the members there) then they do not need to be there and should return home.

Top Bottom