Horrible lead fouling with magtech ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Went to the range this past weekend(WOOHOO)!

Decided to bring along my old revolver, its an H&R .32s&wl. I found some Magtech sjhp ammo for it on Natchez. First sjhp ive seen for it in.. ever. So i bought a box. I started shooting it, by the second cylinder the lead fouling and dirt was so horrible that i couldnt even close the cylinder to battery without it sticking. The rounds wouldnt fall into place all the way without a tap and the entire gun was just generally disgusting looking. The barrel was also so plugged up that i had to break out the Eds Red to clean it out. Ive never had to use Eds Red to get a firearm clean.

Ive never ran into this problem before while shooting any other type of ammo, fmj or lrn out of this gun. This is also the first time ive ever shot Magtech ammo. Is the ammo just that dirty? Or did i get a bad batch?

Any ideas, thoughts or theories?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Almost sounds like they were loaded with black powder instead of modern smokeless powder.

I think I have shot some magtech 32 s&w long in the past with no troubles.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    There was certainly lead fouling inside the barrel and at the ends of the cylinder, some lead deposits were to be expected, what i got was far worse. Everywhere else was covered in a layer of powder residue that had to be scrubbed off.

Top Bottom