• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Does anyone else have trouble cycling this ammo in their marlin 1894?

I just got my gun and have had no issues with the Hornady 240 gr XTP ammo, but the 225 Lever FTP seems to catch when I cycle. I am able to get it to load after working the lever but I want to make it cycle smooth like the XTP?

Is this just a break in period issue for the feeding system or the rubber tip on the FTP giving me fits?

Thanks

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Mgderf gave me the advice I needed...Rack it like your mad as hell fix. It cycled three rounds smooth when I gave it the mustard.

First lever gun...learned something new today. My gun like a little pimp slap!

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    I have one as well and use Hornady Leverevolution .44 mag 225 Gran, and have have no problems with it. my only complaint with the ammo is the exit wound takes out a lot of good meat!! but is very effective

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Thanks for the heads-up on cycling the leverevolution. I had the same problem with my 1894 until I oiled the action. Then everything worked fine. Understand though, I've only put about a dozen rounds through it. Maybe problems are in the future.

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    Don't be afraid to work the lever fast and hard that is what the guy at my gunshop told me. It is a mechanical device and should be able to handle it. You won't break it.

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a buddy who lost three deer with the levereveloutin ammo this year. I don't know if it was the ammo or he was just a lousy shot.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i feed 30-30 hornaday (red rubber tip) in a brand new marlin 336. couldnt half-a$$ it. didnt have to hulk-out on either though.

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    dont know if it would help but my 1894 ss had alot of metal leftover from machining on the moving parts. I took a file and cleaned everything up best i could. sure did smooth the action. watch for sharp edges though i cut myself couple times

Top Bottom