Homes defense guns other than AR, AK & Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Something like a Ruger PC Carbine is worth considering as well. If he gets a Glock or a Ruger SR handgun at some point he'd have magazine and ammo compatibility. Higher capacity and cheaper than most of the pistol caliber leverguns as well (Rossi excepted).

Another question to ask is what's his budget?
    This was my first thought... 9mm easy on the wallet and the shoulder....mags are plentiful

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I agree with the post above that in most home invasions, one or two shots is likely all that is needed.
    Personally, I keep a .357 revolver at the bedside. Ruger GP100 or Smith 686. Great guns and easy to operate for a novice. Just my opinion.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I third this..

I have one for each floor of my house. They are very well built and have put many rounds downrange without so much as a hiccup. I fill 1 tube with #4buck and 1 tube ball slugs. With the size and capacity it blows the 590A1 out of the water. I'm a picky f'er and scrutinize every defense weapon I have (some are for target shooting and some are for fun and some are for defense) and I trust the KSG to defend my life and the life of my family without issue. You can't beat the 15 rounds of 12ga goodness in a very easily maneuverable controllable compact package for a home defense/defense weapon. I have a old single shot my dad left me when he past sitting in the safe and my KSGs. I don't hunt anymore so I will probably never have the need for another shotgun. Don't discount the Keltec KSG just from what you have heard or thought of their products. The KSG is a very solid weapon.

Edit: I'm not a big guy and have many health related issues but if I were faced with a life threatening encounter in point blank distances to 50yds the KSG would be my first go to. Adrenaline will absorb any weaker city type issues that would possibly arise. I would deal with the pain, or snot kickn later after I realize I'm still burning oxygen and the threat is not.
    Enough already.
    I almost clicked the buy button on the KSG just a few minutes ago. Then I remembered as soon as I buy it a Ronin 10mm will show up. So I exited out. So just stop with the KSG praise.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    M1 Carbine?

I’m surprised no one has mentioned it already. Light and handy, simple to operate. More energy than a pistol but very little recoil. Looks like an old wood stocked pea shooter, not a black death machine. Some of the non-USGI versions are very affordable.
    USGI carbines are all north of $1K now pretty much. Non-USGI are not far behind I don't think. And ammo cost and availability might be a concern. I mean, they're not for me, but I was in the right place at the right time. ;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I second or third the 357 mag in a revolver.
    just what I carry as an everyday carry. Just shy away from full power 357 for night work. Blinding flash out of my 2.5 inch barrel

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Enough already.
    I almost clicked the buy button on the KSG just a few minutes ago. Then I remembered as soon as I buy it a Ronin 10mm will show up. So I exited out. So just stop with the KSG praise.
    Sorry, I really love my KSGs as you can tell and no I don't work for Keltec or get any kickbacks, breaks, or discounts. Just can stand hearing the reasons why not to seriously consider the KSG. The kick will be too much, a couple rounds out of a pistol will scare them off with just the flash or noise, a rifle will work better, he might shoot his hand off, this gets old quick.
    I do respect you DS and value your opinions.
    As I see it, if teddys buddy is serious about wanting to protect/defend himself he can't expect it to be a warm fuzzy sitch. He is going to have to eat a sandwich, man up, maybe endure some discomfort and do everything he can to keep burning oxygen because he cant expect someone to come to his rescue and without absolutely any firearm experience/skills, this is the best solution to the issue at hand imo.
    My :twocents:.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry, I really love my KSGs as you can tell and no I don't work for Keltec or get any kickbacks, breaks, or discounts. Just can stand hearing the reasons why not to seriously consider the KSG. The kick will be too much, a couple rounds out of a pistol will scare them off with just the flash or noise, a rifle will work better, he might shoot his hand off, this gets old quick.
    I do respect you DS and value your opinions.
    As I see it, if teddys buddy is serious about wanting to protect/defend himself he can't expect it to be a warm fuzzy sitch. He is going to have to eat a sandwich, man up, maybe endure some discomfort and do everything he can to keep burning oxygen because he cant expect someone to come to his rescue and without absolutely any firearm experience/skills, this is the best solution to the issue at hand imo.
    My :twocents:.
    I think DS was saying that all this talk about the KSG's had convinced him that he needed one. But then he talked himself out of it to save for the Ronin 10mm... :)

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Biggest question i have is he prepared and able to use it to defend himself ??? So many people think that just showing you have a weapon is a deterrent but in reality a lot of those folks get it taken away and used on them or another person.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    A satchel charge might not seem like the ideal choice for home defense, but the reliability, ease of operation, and raw destructive power are unmatched by any firearm short of a grenade launcher.

Seriously though, from your description of your cousin as a novice, slender, and not very mechanical, I would suggest a semiauto shotgun with an 18.5" barrel in 20 gauge or .410 loaded with slugs. Lower recoil than a 12 gauge so less "intimidating" for new shooters, readily available ammo, simple manual of arms, and quite effective on a human torso.

With the proper mindset, such an arm could serve a person quite well if they're not yet up to speed on more effective arms.

Never hurts to have a few satchel charges handy, though. :cool:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Biggest question i have is he prepared and able to use it to defend himself ??? So many people think that just showing you have a weapon is a deterrent but in reality a lot of those folks get it taken away and used on them or another person.
    You posted while I was typing, but this is what I meant when I mentioned proper mindset. He has to understand that a gun isn't a deterrent, it's a showstopper. Don't get it out if you're not going to use it, and once you get it out employ it quickly, over and over again, until the threat is ended.

I don't know how true it is that people hesitate and get their guns taken from them and get used against them. I don't know how many crimes are deterred by the simple display of a firearm. What I do know is, if I ever pull a gun on someone I'm going to use it, and if they take it from me and kill me with it, they're going to have to beat me to death with it because it will have been run until it's empty of ammo. At that point, I probably deserve to die for being such a poor shot. :abused:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    USGI carbines are all north of $1K now pretty much. Non-USGI are not far behind I don't think. And ammo cost and availability might be a concern. I mean, they're not for me, but I was in the right place at the right time. ;)
    I looked into the new ones being produced because I think its a neat rifle. I think they were just under $1500. No thanks.

And surplus are so rare now at the CMP that they state up front any that come in go STRAIGHT to the auction site. No more are being added to the main page because they are so relatively rare.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I like the idea of a 17, a 19, an MnP or other service pistol in 9, unless you think that's a bit much for him to start out with. Then maybe a Buckmark or other 22.
    Also, unless he's excited about the idea of a lever gun, the 10 22 sounds like a great place to start.
    DO have him over for weekend training, and burn as much ammo as you can. Nothing replaces trigger time.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I will echo what a few have said above. Ruger PC Carbine (either Ruger or Glock versions) and a handgun that uses the same mags. Weapon lights for both. Lots of mags for both. Stock both with the same defensive ammo and and then buy plenty of range ammo and get some training. After he masters these, if he feel he needs more firepower, a 20 gauge shotgun for less recoil than a 12 gauge and more stopping power than a 9mm.
    JM2C. YMMV.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Great point on the bullpup shotgun and ease of making a mistake with that.

I hadn’t even thought of a pistol caliber carbine, but he’d certainly shoot better with 9mm with a stock than a 9mm handgun. That’s a whole other category that I hadn’t even considered.

I’m not sure what he’s thinking in terms of a budget. From chatting yesterday he was shocked at how affordable shotgun were and he thought every gun and every gun part was going to be $1,000 or more so I think he’s fine when he’s seeing what actual prices are.

We had a great talk yesterday about distance, shotgun pattern and why inside a home you still have to aim. Lightbulbs were going off left and right for him and when I mentioned the lever gun idea I could see that was something he hadn’t even considered, much like I hadn’t even thought of a pistol caliber carbine.

One thing we discussed to add some perspective to his situation is what the gun looks like to a jury of his peers. If the worst case scenario pops up and he would have to stand trial for something what’s the jury think when they see an AK, AR, or Shogun, vs some lever action that looks like it was his great grand dads. Not saying that’s the single driving factor in the decision, but the reality is people have a bias and preconceived ideas in their heads and a jury in Chicago would more likely see an AR/AK as an assault weapon, when in Indiana there’s more of a likelihood of someone seeing an AR and thinking they’re shooting groundhogs.

I certainly get that most home invasions are stopped with a few rounds or none at all. However I also get why the military preaches ammo discipline because new guys tend to get a little excited with the trigger on their first time. This guy would be that rookie level of experience, and I would prefer him to have many magazines with many rounds. A revolver has it’s place and I lover the idea of matching the ammo to the rifle of a levergun, but in this particular case I’m not sure.

I like the M1 carbine idea, but buying a used surplus gun that’s been through however many owners at this point isn’t something I know enough about to say this is a good or bad gun with life left in it on every part. For the money, I’d tell him to buy a bravo company, or Daniel defense or whatever in that tier.

His mindset is right where he’s looking only at defensively. He’s been in Chicago more years of his life than he hasn’t and watched all the news. He’s seen first hand and on the news the crazy riots and vandalism in the street. He gets it, he’s afraid for what’s coming next and just doesn’t want to get killed in his own home by a bunch of thugs.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Back to shotguns, I just always think about that worst case scenario hostage shot and is this the kind of guy who’s going to know how much his buckshot spreads out at that distance. Really getting a handle on shotgun spread is not something a rookie is going to pick up on their first day. The double barrel shotguns are also something I’ve considered recommending to him. My only gripe on those, is that I’d like to see something with an ejector, not an extractor. If he’s a pushing 50yr old rookie in a gunfight who’s new to guns I don’t see him or anyone comparable having the muscle memory to run one of those guns like a 12yr old girl who does cowboy action shooting. I like the coach guns, I’m just not sure this is the right fit for one.

The Stoeger Double Defense shotguns have ejectors, if that is a concern. They are simple to operate. Shotgun buck shot spreads approximately 1" for every 7 yards. If he isn't competent to use a double barrel with minimal training, maybe he shouldn't consider a firearm for home defense. As far as, "hostage situations" go, probably 99% of the people on INGO aren't trained to the point of being able to make a reliable hostage situation shot with a handgun, and since he lives alone, I doubt that should even be a consideration.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I looked yesterday and thought I saw they were extractors on the stoeger coach guns. I'll have to double check.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have several lever guns and the 92 clones are light and maneuverable for use indoors. If he started with a 18-20" 357 magnum he could use both 38 and 357. He could also work his way up to a revolver in the same caliber. For a novice shooter a rifle is always the best choice to start on.

Top Bottom