• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Other than an alarm system and good locks, has anyone thought of taking home security up a notch or two?

A couple ides I've been kicking around are door gates. Something like this.
    4264_1147428520154_1060770331_30434355_5564852_n.jpg

I've also thought about roll-down security shutters. The motorized outside ones would be nice. I was thinking more along the lines of an inside roll-down shutter. This would cut down on cost. I don't think it would be to hard to disguise them and make them look as part of the decor. Anyone trying to get in would have to get through the screen and window before they could start working on the shutter.

I've also thought about framing in a door at the top of the stairs to be locked at night while everyone is asleep.

I sometimes feel like I'm being to paranoid. Has anyone else given any ideas like these any thoughts?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If I lived in Indy I would be even more paranoid than you are...

That being said I live in a small town out here in the sticks. Even I have Steel framed exterior doors. My "storm windows" use Lexan as the "glass" in them. And yes I have played around with the idea of installing the motorized exterior shutters when I redo the siding on my home. I have solar powered motion security lights around the house
    to provide a 360* lighting around the home.

As far as the installing a locking door at the top of my stairs... No not so much. I am playing around with motion sensors and a light/buzzer system. Also with cigerette cams and my laptop. That way I will be able to cycle though the frames and see where anyone is...

Feel less paranoid yet...

Really wanting razor wire and mines. That should keep someone from stealing my sh*t...

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Not to be a smart*ss but if you feel that your area is that unsafe before I'd spend that expense I would consider moving to a better area. Crime can happen anywhere but there are areas where your your chances of being a victim are much higher. My other concern would be how quickly you could open these doors in a fire, medical emergency, natural catastrophe or worded as our infamous HomeLand Security Director in case of a man made disaster ;)

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I just put this in the living room at night. :D
    I've kicked the idea of a dog around. Problem is, while I like dogs, I'm not a dog person. Plus everytime the dog barked I would be out of bed investigating. Which wouldn't be much different from now. Any little sound I hear I end up checking out.

Plus my ideas, while for general home security, also lean towards SHTF preparedness. As in really bad weather, bands of people doing breakins due to economy, or a race riot/war.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Para noia will des troya. No really, I feel ALOT safer since I can legally carry a handgun! :rockwoot: I also have a small arsenal for at least if its people that try to break in (while I'm here). I refuse to live in a state of paranoia. :)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I've kicked the idea of a dog around. Problem is, while I like dogs, I'm not a dog person. Plus everytime the dog barked I would be out of bed investigating. Which wouldn't be much different from now. Any little sound I hear I end up checking out.

Plus my ideas, while for general home security, also lean towards SHTF preparedness. As in really bad weather, bands of people doing breakins due to economy, or a race riot/war.
    I personally believe crime due to the bad economic conditions will get much worse...people have to eat. And they will do whatever they feel they must to survive. I have magnetic siren alarms on all my doors and windows. If the door or windows is opened more than a half inch or so...screaming alarm. I know...just bust out the glass...but I'm a pretty light sleeper...and I'd easily hear that.

If by chance they make it past the dog...that should buy me plenty of time to have a couple more suprises waiting for them. ;)

I do like your idea of a locked door at the top of the stairs...just be sure to put a smoke alarm on either side of it. As far as the motorized shutters, as 4sarge stated, I've always feared those slowing down a hasty, yet needed exit from...say a fire if all the door exits were blocked and the fire resulted in a power failure.

I do need to put up a couple of exterior motion lights...and feed the dog some raw meat...he loves that. :D Here, boy!!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    of it. As far as the motorized shutters, as 4sarge stated, I've always feared those slowing down a hasty, yet needed exit from...say a fire if all the door exits were blocked and the fire resulted in a power failure.
    I agree. I don't like the motorized shutter idea. I'm talking about mounting them on the inside and they would be manually operated.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I might tend to lean towards window shutters as long as there were no children in the home. That's my biggest fear with those...trapping a child.

It's terrible that things like this even have to be discussed...but it's going to get a LOT worse. Economic woes...illegal drug activity and violence expanding rapidly out from the inner cities... There is nowhere safe...only some places safer than others. And with the declining home values, moving everytime the neighborhood goes to hell isn't an option.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This is one of the reasons I converted my storm windows to Lexan.
    It is not a stopper from egress. But you are definitely going to get a surprise when you think it will just shatter easily...

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    while for general home security, also lean towards SHTF preparedness. As in really bad weather, bands of people doing breakins due to economy, or a race riot/war.

You need a completely differernt plan if SHTF, living in a neighborhood is about as bad as it can get, secondary to an apartment. That all depending how bad SHTF. If the power grid goes down, get out of town!!! When the tornado hit 42nd and Post at the APT, the crime was rediculous!!! And never made it to the news!!! First I would by Heirloom seeds and keep them stored. Of course medical equipt, guns, ammo, hunting equipt ext.

Sorry to thread jack. Your situation....

DOG
    window alarms
    rem 870
    land line phone
    Big ass flashlite
    cut bushes and shrubs back or any other natural hide place by doors

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Indy is not that bad. I live and work on the east side of Indy. It's far from being a war zone. Maybe it is because I grew up out here.

Willard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Anderson
    People who use exterior/visable means of security also seem to announce (atleast to me) "Hey...I've got lots of valuables & supplies I need to protect". Whatever method I chose, I would do it as "stealth" as possible. Alot of people have dogs, so it wouldn't stand-out like bars on doors & windows. Keep in touch with neighbors (unless they're moron/dopers like mine) & watch each others properties.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    People who use exterior/visable means of security also seem to announce (atleast to me) "Hey...I've got lots of valuables & supplies I need to protect". Whatever method I chose, I would do it as "stealth" as possible. Alot of people have dogs, so it wouldn't stand-out like bars on doors & windows. Keep in touch with neighbors (unless they're moron/dopers like mine) & watch each others properties.
    Yeah, across the street from me in a retired guy. He likes to sit in his garage and watch the traffic go by. He is also a visible deterrent to anyone thinking of breaking into my house...besides the alarm.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Yeah, across the street from me in a retired guy. He likes to sit in his garage and watch the traffic go by. He is also a visible deterrent to anyone thinking of breaking into my house...besides the alarm.
    It's really not. I probably sounded like a huge pessimist earlier. Decatur Township is growing...and with growth comes increased crime. Mars Hill is safer and quieter than it used to be in the day when Friday and Saturday nights meant they were shooting each other in the streets. That population is aging...they have mellowed. :fogey:

Downtown is safer than it was when I was a growing up. We used to be sure to be out of downtown by the time the sun set. Now I feel relatively safe being downtown at 2 in the morning.

We've lived in our neighborhood going on 8 years now...and I see a decline. Home values have dropped (and they are just modest priced homes). Probably as many as 10-15% have gone back to the banks. The homes on either side of me did and resold for $20K and $25K each less than their original value. Both were purchased as rental properties. One family is great...the other...I wouldn't trust any farther than I could collectively throw them. (This is not a slam on renters...so please don't take it that way...just an observation of my surroundings) The teenage boy there has been in and out of Juvenile 4 or 5 times already this year. Battery, drugs, etc. Cars on jackstands in the driveways...and not just for a weekend repair. Many for several months. The HOA seems less than willing to do much...but let my camper sit in the drive for more than 2 days...and I'm getting a nastygram in the mail.

There have been several violent home invasions against the elderly already this year in Decatur...something that not long ago was unheard of. Drug related crime is on the rise as well. I still love this side of town, though...but things are changing. And with home values approaching an additional double digit decline this year...I hope the bottom doesn't fall out. Crap...there goes the pessimism again. I'll have to ride it out, however. I can't afford to take the nearly 30% loss that my home has appraised for. I really am trying to find the light at the end of the tunnel.

Top Bottom