• ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Need a home security system.
    Should I set up my own system or get paid monitoring plan?
    I'm more interested in video cameras (for some reason) ... well ... primarly because I want to see what the heck's going on (I can't give details now).
    I'd like to get the whole outside of the house covered and a few interior cams and thought maybe a wildlife, motion sensitive cam in the back yard (we sit on about 2 acres with woods bordering our property).

The wife if very unsettled and I need to get something done.
    Thanks for any help/advice.

(I just told the wife ... "See... this is the kind of information that makes this forum awesome" I know the preppers are going to have some input - I hope).

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It's kinda hard to give advice on specifics without knowing more details. If you're wanting to protect SOME valuables with an audio deterrent and a police response, then an installed ADT or name brand company is the way to go. If you think you have a specific problem already and want to catch the bastards, go with cameras. You can set up your own cameras (all weather with infrared) and have a good system with DVR and the ability to watch it remotely for around $400. This obviously won't trigger an immediate police response, but it seems it may be more what you're looking for.

Again, without further details, that's all I've got. Feel free to PM me if you want.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Trail cameras don't typically have DVR or offsite storage do they? It it is a human they're easy to remove.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    You can set up your own system and still get it monitored if you want. Check out Safemart...they sell all types of systems you can put in yourself and they can also hook you up with monitoring. We have the GE Simon 2 system and it has worked great.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Trail cameras don't typically have DVR or offsite storage do they? It it is a human they're easy to remove.

Nope.

I wouldn't recommend them either.

BTW, I would also not recommend a $400 system. There is a huge difference in performance between a professional system and those pre-packaged systems sold a box stores, on-line retailers, etc. Most of those pre-packaged systems have pretty low resolution cameras, inadequate IR illumination, rarely do they offer armored domes, etc.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I found this on Cabela's website. I'm not sure how well it works, but it uses ATT cell phone service to upload/download pictures. I couldn't find many reviews. You have to pay a monthly subscription fee, which may be worth it if you're planning on having the situation resolved in the near future.

https://www.moultriegamemanagement.com/Home/Plans

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Here is a question.
    This may the key to some of the answers you are seeking.

What time is what ever being done happening? Morning? mid day? evening? night time when it is dark?

If it is anytime in the dark your cameras just went up in price big time...
    If budget is an issue, the big box kits will work somewhat for your needs atleast what you posted in the op.

Night time will be next to worthless unless you have lights but it will not be in color.
    When buying your dvr, think of it like a gun safe. Get extra channels for more cameras down the road, get the biggest hard drive your budget will allow as well with the ability to hooked into your network so you can view from your laptop or smart phone.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    We switched to Infinity (Comcast) cameras to watch over my mom when my sister is at work. It cost about $500 to install but it's only about $45 a month. We have cameras installed inside the house and near the outside entrances. The nice thing about it is that we can check the cameras from our smart phones. We can also check it over the internet.

We have an alarm feature we are not currently utilizing as we needed it more for monitoring than actual home safety. We did have Guardian previously but it wasn't very reliable.

cookac88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    The systems on this website 123-cctv.com has pretty good stuff. they offer fully customizable systems from low to high end on both dvr's and cameras. I have personally used the dome cameras and they work quite well even at night. They even sell some infrared but have not used them. Most of the DVR's they sell inlcude email alerts, smart phone accessible, etc. I have never ordered from them, we used to use a different supplier but are going to change. Will be placing an order here in next month can let you know how it goes if interested. Good Luck

***Also can find alot of the same product on Amazon but this website has good info on all the different type of products.

Last edited:

Eskion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Hammond
    It's kinda hard to give advice on specifics without knowing more details. If you're wanting to protect SOME valuables with an audio deterrent and a police response, then an installed ADT or name brand company is the way to go. If you think you have a specific problem already and want to catch the bastards, go with cameras. You can set up your own cameras (all weather with infrared) and have a good system with DVR and the ability to watch it remotely for around $400. This obviously won't trigger an immediate police response, but it seems it may be more what you're looking for.

Again, without further details, that's all I've got. Feel free to PM me if you want.

I completely agree. If you have a NAS, then you can simply get some IP cameras. You can find some decent deals on them.

Top Bottom