• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Looking for a good home defence shotgun. Reliable, easy to use, and has a rail for a light. My main goal is something easy to use for my wife while I am gone for work. Do not have a crazy budget. Any advice would be great thanks guys.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Yeah, keep it simple, with probably a 500, or 870, although NEF puts out a pump that I've heard is satisfying, that can be had for under $200. Don't neglect used gun listings, or pawn shops, either.

Install a magazine extension, and your best bet for a light, is to get a barrel-mag clamp, with a rail.

For budget stuff there, Primary Arms has some good weaponlight deals.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    IMHO only. This is just an opinion based on my experiance with my spouse and her eyes glazing over whenever I tried to show her how to use my 870 Marine Magnum.

Rossi Coach Gun. 20 gauge and yes they make one with the rail (and it's even black!")

We have the standard 20 gauge coach gun. It can be loaded from the butt cuff in seconds. I keep three number 4 buck, and two 00 buck in the cuff on ours. She can have it loaded and pointed down the hall in 3 seconds or so.

I think at in the house range a 20 gauge is nearly as effective as a 12 gauge.

:twocents: This is only my opinion and my offering of this opinion in no way implies that I am right or that there are not other options available.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like the way the barrel locks up on the 870, but the single extractor isn't as good as the double in the 500.

It's also easier to put a mag tube on an 870 than a 500.

How many shots do you think you'll need though? You can fit, what, like 6 or 7 in a 500?

Either way, they're both dandy shotguns. 18.5" barell and I prefer a full stock, with or without a pistol grip is up to the shooter.

Then practice. Having a gun doesn't do any good if you don't know how to use it, or aren't any good at using it.

Shotgun groups are only about 4" in diameter, so you still need to be pretty accurate to make it work.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Check out the 20g NEF youth "pardner" shotgun at WalMart for $179. Best deal around. We even motored to Greencastle to buy ours since the Brownsburg store took forever to fill their case. They have them now. It comes with one choke, and others are available.

We have our usual pistols stashed, but there is nothing so intimidating as hearing that pump of the shotgun. An added plus, my wife can use the youth model, and in the house, the youth model is perfect for me to use, and 20g will do a hefty amount of damage to an intruder.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I forget the name of the company but they are a Clone of the Remington 870. They are built well and function just like the original for about 130. But stick to the mossberg 500 or the Remington 870...those are the 2 most used Shotguns in law enforcement.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have 2 Winchester 1300 defenders for home defense. Great guns with no issues ever.
    Am looking at getting an 870 as so many speak highly of them.

Do you think the wife can run a 12 gauge or should you be looking at a 20??

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    she has handled both...... considering close quarters maybe a 12g isnt needed

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I picked up a used Mossy 500 20 Ga (pistol grip) for $180 and they threw in a standard stock just for fun. Then went out and got a longer barrel for like $80 in case I decide to hunt with it.

Also purchased a new Mossy 500 410 Ga for the lovely wifey (For like $325?). She likes it because of the lower recoil--and I loaded it with Winchester Elite's. From across the room, it will be more than sufficient to take out an intruder.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I picked up a used Mossy 500 20 Ga (pistol grip) for $180 and they threw in a standard stock just for fun. Then went out and got a longer barrel for like $80 in case I decide to hunt with it.

I'm doing the exact reverse of what you did. Have the mossberg 500a in 12 gauge with the 28" barrel and am going to pick up the short barrel and a pistol grip for keeping it around the house in between infrequent trips to shoot trap.

Lovely gun for the price and extra barrels don't set you back a ton if you don't need anything super fancy and go to the right places to shop.

Top Bottom