• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Looking to make a new purchase and would like everyone's feedback from experience of these two. I've owned a p226 and a p229, both 9mm, and both with SRT triggers. Pretty awesome setup, but the grip still is a little awkward for my liking, even with the E2 grips. I fondled a P30 the other day and fell in love with the way it felt. I have heard the dislike and complaints of the long reset of the v3, and it seems as though many recommend the v1 LEM version. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I own a P30 and love it. It's been utterly reliable and super ergonomic. The trigger isn't that good, but you can have a trigger job done if you want. I don't mind it, since I practice with it regularly and it's my home defense gun.

If you want a pistol similar to P30 with better trigger, then check out Walther's PPQ. Plus, you will save a few hundred bucks.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I'll start by saying I'm a big HK guy. None of mine have ever failed. I have had some Sigs and I think the SRT is a better trigger. Not night and day just a little more crisp. Both guns should be good to go for any situation.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I own a P30 and love it. It's been utterly reliable and super ergonomic. The trigger isn't that good, but you can have a trigger job done if you want. I don't mind it, since I practice with it regularly and it's my home defense gun.

If you want a pistol similar to P30 with better trigger, then check out Walther's PPQ. Plus, you will save a few hundred bucks.

Own all 3 mentioned, for the money, the PPQ can't be beat, out of box trigger is sweet, P30 feels better to me (ergo, not trigger), but only a little. I'll never trade/sell either. P226 is nice, feels less comfortable & heavier, mostly keep for Supressor (threaded barrel).

Last edited:

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Own all 3 mentioned, for the money, the PPQ can't be beat, out of box trigger is sweet, P30 feels better to me (ergo, not trigger), but only a little. I'll never trade/sell either. P226 is nice, feels less comfortable & heavier, mostly keep for Supressor (threaded barrel).

Bmbutch is exactly right! The Walther PPQ has the single best striker fired trigger I have ever shot. Of the two you mentioned the Sig has a better trigger, while the H&K has better ergonomics.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I currently own 9x 9mm handguns. 1 Sig 226, 2 Sig 228, 1 CZ SP-01, 1 CZ P-01, 1 CZ PCR, 1 HK P30, 1 FM Hi-Power, & 1 Glock 17. I've owned countless many more over the years constantly changing the lineup. Out of all these though right now, the HK P30(v3) is the most accurate out of the bunch followed by the Sig 226(W. German). YMMV

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    The P30L in LEM is a great gun. Although I've never had a problem with any of my SIGs they are not up to the standard HK sets
    I don't know of any handgun that is up to the HK standards. I don't know of any handgun that has the proven reliability of an HK. I know the p30 test they ran over 91,000 rounds before failure.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I love HKs as well, BUT I had a P2Ksk 9 choke on steel ammo. The only 2 gun manufacturers that I've owned that have never choked are Sigs and Glocks. YMMV
    My wife's p2ksk 9 had issues with steel case also. None of my 45s have ever had issues. One night I was reading the manual and it says they don't recommend steel case ammo. Never ran it again and never had another issue.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    My wife's p2ksk 9 had issues with steel case also. None of my 45s have ever had issues. One night I was reading the manual and it says they don't recommend steel case ammo. Never ran it again and never had another issue.

Yeah, I read the same thing as well but it is just one of those things when a company claims "No Compromise" and then it chokes on steel. It just sits in the back of mind though if steel ammo is all that is available the HK would be helpless. The Sig P226, P228, & Glock 26 all ate the steel fine. I had a CZ-75B as well choke on some Blazer aluminum cased ammo as well, so that gets another nod down on my reliability list. Like I said I love HKs and my USP Tactical 45 was the most accurate 45 I ever shot.

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have many 9mm and 40sw handguns...glocks...rugers...sigs...HK's... out of all of them the only one that has not been finicky about ammo is the HK... my glocks hate the cheap ammo as do my sigs. The Rugers are a little less picky they dont jam as much as the glocks do but they still jam up... My HKs wil eat anything from reloads to cheap steel case nasty dirty stuff. I carry either my USP 40sw or my P30 9mm. I love them both, i just havent figured out a good way to conceal carry both at the same time....

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    The decocker placement on the p2k/sk/p30 is unfortunate. The LEM isn't an easy trigger to learn. What you do get, however, with LEM is a thumbable hammer for reholstering in high volume training / high stress situations. (AWIB). This is maybe the guns best feature. I shot my glocks way better than my v1, but boy does that safety feature matter.

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    I would look at the USP compact or a P229 sas for carry. I have been ccw a sig p229 sas .357 for a couple months now. For years I carried a G23, I just wanted a gun that was not plastic. I still have glocks and a G 26 is hard to beat on capacity and stealth.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I was able to roll to Greenwood/Indy yesterday and shop around a bit and ended up picking up a P30s 9mm. Although I was looking for the P30L, the LEM V1 wasn't a deal breaker. The V3 trigger reset is a little disappointing, but I will be objective until I can live fire it. And compared to the ergos of the Sig P226/P229, they cannot be beat! Happy with my purchase and looking forward to a range trip.

Top Bottom