• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Looking for a cheap gun to keep in random places as a back up, what about a hipoint? I will have a trusty EDC on me, but just as a back up, what you guys think.

I'm looking at 9mm full size under $200, better options?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    5Nb5Gb5K53Md3L63Jfc7i247576a75cd818d0.jpg

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    For a few more dollars, you could get a Kel-Tec P11 or PF9. They aren't full-sized pistols, and the Hi-Point does make a better club than either of those do when empty.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I doubt there would be anything else around that price (that would be reliable). Go for it.

When you say "keep in random places", do you mean around the house? Garage? Office? I don't have little ones running around, so my options are broader than most. I have a cheap but well built pump 12 gauge within a few steps of my kitchen, everything but that and my carry is locked up.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    For what they are, Hi Points are generally reliable, contrary to popular culture. I think it would make a good cheap choice for a general purpose stash or backup gun. Glove box, center console, on the side of the toilet tank, etc.

Not too many options @ 200.00. Stay AWAY from Davis\Raven\Bryco\Jaminez...

You might look at a Makarov as an alternative to 9mm. They can be had for your price range all day long. Rugged and reliable. Definitely more anemic than a hot 9mm round, but given shot placement would serve well. Ammo is comparably priced between the two.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    I picked one up used for $40. it serves the purpose I bought it for, to plink and give to new shooters without giving a damn about it. I would never carry it or trust my life to it but honestly its not a totally horrible shooter and hits where point it.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I doubt there would be anything else around that price (that would be reliable). Go for it.

When you say "keep in random places", do you mean around the house? Garage? Office? I don't have little ones running around, so my options are broader than most. I have a cheap but well built pump 12 gauge within a few steps of my kitchen, everything but that and my carry is locked up.

I do have little ones around, so my stash placement is limited. I was considering one for car carry, so as to not have to un-holster while driving, one in the toolbox while I am working in the garage, and a few other scenarios such as these. Like I said I will have my trusty EDC, but thinking of scenarios where drawing from IWB may not be an option.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I picked one up used for $40. it serves the purpose I bought it for, to plink and give to new shooters without giving a damn about it. I would never carry it or trust my life to it but honestly its not a totally horrible shooter and hits where point it.

NICE!! I would buy a couple dozen for that price!

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Ruger

Looking for a cheap gun to keep in random places as a back up, what about a hipoint? I will have a trusty EDC on me, but just as a back up, what you guys think.

I'm looking at 9mm full size under $200, better options?

Save another $100 and buy a Ruger P95. The Ruger is so far superior
    in every way. More accurate, reliable, holds 15+1 rounds, and on and on.
    Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom