• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    The HiPoint hand guns aren't the easiest to take apart, if you want a cheap gun you can breakdown in a few seconds I would look for a KelTec P 11, 9mm. Plenty of them around used for about $200.00 or less.
    For $175. you should be abel to by the HiPoint new at a LGS.

Last edited:

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Hi Point

That's the info I was looking for, thank you. As for a carry, to protect me and my family, I'm thinking either a Glock 23 or a Xdm. I just saw a . 45 Hipoint in Classified for $175. And like you said to have a gun just to play around with, take it completely apart, explore the guts, kinda like the first small block I built when I has in High School. Thank you all for your input, good or not so good. :))))

I occasionally shoot with a guy that has three of the Hi Points in all three calibers. they are all ugly and they all shoot every time he pulls the trigger.
    Accuracy is not a full mag in a 3" target but they shoot. $175 is a little high for a used HP since they sell new for 9mm$169, 40 cal $179, and 45 cal $189.

MY :twocents:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    hi points are cheap guns and u get what u pay for, u might get a good one that dosnt jam, and u might get a lemon, your better off spending a lil more and get the glock or xd,

"A lil more"?
    Hi-Point = $179
    Glock = $559

A Hi-point is decent for someone new to guns that can't afford much! Buy the gun and a couple hundred rounds of ammo for around $200. Not bad just to plink and for a first home defense gun.

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    huh, the first handgun I ever bought was a hipoint and I sold it, pretty soon after.
    Not good to shoot with at all, but I was a novice. However, I could shoot quite well
    with an S&W revolver, or my Dad's 22, so to me it was the hipoint. Was likely my trigger pull,
    but I needed help I guess, but I could shoot quality handguns well. I'll never buy another one
    unless I just need more firepower and really have lacking funds. I never really buy the cheap stuff
    in ANY type of purchase, unless it's like a harbor freight tool that I need for like 1 job that I will
    never do again. These are like Harbor Freight guns, if you get my drift... But many of their cheap
    tools are much better quality that HiPoint handguns!

Last edited:

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Hey Ya'll.....
    I'm not knocking them, just don't know, so I'm.asking, Why does it seem that Hipoint guns seem lower in prices, on here and Armslist?
    Would they be a good 'dirty gun' ( no paper trail) gun to have when the man comes knocking on the door to raid my gun safe?
    I am a new Hi-Point owner. When I took my Hi-Point 9mm to the range, I was with a friend of mine who had 3 1911s. I`m not bashing them and I don`t remember what makes, but he said they costed at least 600.00 each. Each of them had numerous jams and fail to feeds, my Hi-Point had NONE. NONE! Hi-Point will not last as long as the more expensive brands, depending on how many rounds you put thru it, because of the the material it is made from. I really love mine and recamend them highly. Ok, now you all can bash me. But don`t bash me if you have not used one.

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    I just purchased the 995 carbine and it shoots great with iron sights. A few others at the range also took their turn and the 9mm was flawless and extremely accurate. I also own Glocks, S&Ws, Colts, Rugers etc and this carbine while extremely ugly may become one of my favorites. Don't knock m if you haven't tried them.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Ok... here's another stuipd question someone will pi$$ed of at..when you say carbine, you're referring too???

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    u might get a good one, you might get a lemon, that came be said with any gun maker, but in a hi point the chances of the lemon are much higher, i have shot hi points and had bad luck, as a said earlier, your better off spending a lil more and geting a good gun u can depend on. ive seen many glocks for 400 dollars, a high points go for just under 200, the glock is twice as much, but... the difference is 200 bucks... which isnt alot.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Ok... here's another stuipd question someone will pi$$ed of at..when you say carbine, you're referring too???
    A carbine is, according to our friend WIKIPEDIA via our other good friend GOOGLE:
    A carbine (
    11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png
    /ˈkɑrbn/ or /ˈkɑrbn/[1]), from French carabine,[2] is a longarm similar to — but shorter than — a rifle or musket. Many carbines are shortened versions of full rifles, firing the same ammunition at a lower velocity due to a shorter barrel length.
    The hipoint carbines (and many others too) shoot pistol caliber ammo. I have a Beretta CX4, but would really like a hipoint as a truck gun. It would be nice if they (hipoint) made one in .357 too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The "carbine" would probably be more properly be referred to as a sub-gun, as it is in the form of a short rifle but fires pistol ammunition, much as a submachine gun is a machine gun that fires pistol ammunition. There are lever action rifles firing pistol rounds, so the whole thing gets confused.

By all accounts, the HiPoint 995 is well liked and respected by its owners, though I think it's ugly too. I've seen videos of people trying to test HiPoint pistols to destruction, and largely failing. I'm talking driving a lag bolt into the barrel, clamping the whole thing in a vise, and firing, then staying on paper with the next mag. It was astounding.

leakywaders

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    highland ind
    Thats why i dont post much on here cause the guy with the 7000 posts makes a newbie feel like a dumbass we all dont have the time to read to see if the question has been asked before.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    The "carbine" would probably be more properly be referred to as a sub-gun, as it is in the form of a short rifle but fires pistol ammunition, much as a submachine gun is a machine gun that fires pistol ammunition. There are lever action rifles firing pistol rounds, so the whole thing gets confused.

By all accounts, the HiPoint 995 is well liked and respected by its owners, though I think it's ugly too. I've seen videos of people trying to test HiPoint pistols to destruction, and largely failing. I'm talking driving a lag bolt into the barrel, clamping the whole thing in a vise, and firing, then staying on paper with the next mag. It was astounding.
    Except for all the carbines chambered in 30-06, 30-30, etc....I would like to see a pistol chambered that way!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Except for all the carbines chambered in 30-06, 30-30, etc....I would like to see a pistol chambered that way!

That's what I'm saying; a "carbine" is a short rifle, designed to be fired from the shoulder and chambered in a rifle caliber, whereas the "rifle" chambered in a pistol caliber, designed to be fired from the shoulder, would be a sub-gun. But then you get things like AR or AK "pistols", and I even saw a video of a 7.62x54 pistol made on a PSL receiver, and the lever guns in magnum pistol calibers. Confusion ensues.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    That's what I'm saying; a "carbine" is a short rifle, designed to be fired from the shoulder and chambered in a rifle caliber, whereas the "rifle" chambered in a pistol caliber, designed to be fired from the shoulder, would be a sub-gun. But then you get things like AR or AK "pistols", and I even saw a video of a 7.62x54 pistol made on a PSL receiver, and the lever guns in magnum pistol calibers. Confusion ensues.
    Head spinning....

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    IMO, a Hi Point is well worth the money if nothing else, simply because of the warranty. I don't own any, nor have I ever but I would really like one in .40 along with the carbine to match.
    AGREED fully, the hi point guns are ugly, huge, relatively low capacity (10 rounds), but they usually go bang every time. I had a 995 9mm carbine that really was my "dirty gun" as I fired it and left it dirty for most of its life, really just sort of abused it (kind of funny as I baby my AKs and ARs), after 4 years and maybe 1000 factory rounds and probably 100 dry fires. I went to the range and loaded a mag, and it didn't go bang... I got home took apart the beast with all its nuts and bolts to discover a broken firing pin. I called Hi Point Service department and told them I had a broken firing pin, they asked for the serial number of the gun I told them, and 5 business days later I had a brand new firing pin and firing pin spring in the mail! Free from the factory! The gun was over 5 years old and I never sent in a registration card or warranty info yet they sill sent me a firing pin with ZERO hassle. That is outstanding service from a company that sells "cheap crappy guns" Hi points are cheap however the company still stands by their cheap product no matter what! There are factories that don't honor their 5 year old $1000 expensive guns because its out of warranty or you didnt fill out any warranty cards...etc and the fact that Hi Point DOES honor their guns warranty is simply amazing in the face of all these expensive gun makers who don't.

As ThrottleJockey said "Google is our friend"

u might get a good one, you might get a lemon, that came be said with any gun maker, but in a hi point the chances of the lemon are much higher, i have shot hi points and had bad luck, as a said earlier, your better off spending a lil more and getting a good gun u can depend on. I’ve seen many Glocks for 400 dollars, a high points go for just under 200, the Glock is twice as much, but... the difference is 200 bucks... which isn’t alot.

That’s true with any product, I agree. However will all other manufactures fix their lemons for free? I can only speak of my good luck with my particular gun. My best friend had a hi point handgun in .45 and it ran solid for 500 rounds or so, he sold it just because he moved on and wanted a 1911. So I would say don't think Hi point guns have no place in the firearms community. Hi Points are GREAT entry level guns for someone advancing past a .22lr stage. They're cheap, and cheaply made (but not junk), they work, the warranty stays with the gun no matter how many times its been bought or sold. My major gripes with it are the limited single stack magazines, and the disassembly procedure. The fact that I have to get out my socket set dissuades me from wanting to take it down for cleaning.

My analogy would be for a motorcycle enthusiast... a 16 year old could just buy a Harley Davidson right off the bat because its awesome and cool and whatever else, but maybe a moped would be a good bike to start on before you get the best. So for somebody who has never owned a centerfire handgun or small rifle/carbine then the Hi Point MIGHT be a good gun for you. And even if you are in the advanced stages of firearms use/ownership a Hi Point still MIGHT be a good choice for you as an inexpensive fun beater gun. Maybe it fills the role of truck/barn/garage gun. It would even be good to lend to somebody who is new to guns and you wouldnt mind if they accidently dropped it got it dirty or whatever else that might happen to a gun.

Somebody else had a good comparison using Harbor Freight.

r8zhwi.jpg

^^This is their old style factory carbine.
    Ugly as sin? YES.
    Comfortable to shoot? Surprisingly YES.
    Cheap? YES
    My go to home defense gun? NO.
    A fun plinking gun? YES.
    Would I care if it dropped off the back of a pick up truck and still got ran over? NO.

To call a Hi Point a POS because it is cheap isn't a fair thing to call it. I've seen guns that were JUNK, a few that come to mind: Raven, Jimeriz, Jennings, Bryco... I wish those guns didnt exist because they are built to break down. True Saturday Night Specials.

Last edited:

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I've had one of those HiPoint 9mm carbines for years, and it's given my Dad and I lots of enjoyment. He had one of the 9mm handguns as well. Nothing special, but whenever he pulled the trigger, it put a hole in the target.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I've had one of those HiPoint 9mm carbines for years, and it's given my Dad and I lots of enjoyment. He had one of the 9mm handguns as well. Nothing special, but whenever he pulled the trigger, it put a hole in the target.

Thats the most important thing.

Top Bottom