• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    So your position is to roll over and let additional privacy and freedoms go away without a wimper?

My position is to submit to those in authority over me and vote to change things if possible.

As opposed to talking big about "not rolling over", then getting in line for the TSA to grope you at the airport, getting in line to be fingerprinted for your LTCH, then complaining about someone reading your text messages on an internet forum.

The only thing you can do to "not roll over" is vote, and petition the government for a redress of grievances, cf 1st Amendment, and lawfully exercise the remaining Constitutional freedoms we still have.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's what should bother you:

The cost to implement this. Think about all the SMS sent, then think of what's required to index and store all of this for two years. You can bet that cost will show up as a line item on you phone bill from then on.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I think the point is, it's already too late.

If you don't understand you've already lost your privacy and freedom, you haven't been paying attention.

I must have misunderstood your post. I think forums like INGO provide the grass roots communication needed to get people motivated to take the actions necessary to create change or prevent further encroachment by government and law enforcement.

IMO it's never too late. I'm glad the founders didn't think so.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I must have misunderstood your post. I think forums like INGO provide the grass roots communication needed to get people motivated to take the actions necessary to create change or prevent further encroachment by government and law enforcement.

IMO it's never too late. I'm glad the founders didn't think so.

I'm all for lawfully doing what we can to change things. I'm just saying I think it's too late to roll back what's already done. Does anyone really think government will get smaller and less intrusive, ever?

I think the last election proves we've already went past the point of no return. With Obamacare in place, the government will have access to, and the ability to regulate anything in your private life.

We're arguing over text messages, when we've already lost much bigger freedoms than that.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Man I hate when people say "It's OK I have nothing to hide". Misses the whole point. Do we really want need to be a country with EVERYONE being spied upon 24/7? I think this group of police are as creepy as the TSA. Some LEOs wonder why they don't get the love on this site sometimes - here's one reason.
    The problem with thinking you have nothing to hide is eventually the powers that be may decide your nothing is a threat to their power.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Here's what should bother you:

The cost to implement this. Think about all the SMS sent, then think of what's required to index and store all of this for two years. You can bet that cost will show up as a line item on you phone bill from then on.

Already covered.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    OMG, R U srious? They B reading R texts now? Plz let this fail. GTG!

If I ever have to be the guy who goes through text messages sent by the average person, shoot me now and get it over with. It hurts my head to think about it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think you all are nuts if you do not think this information isn't already being stored.

Did you read this in the article?

An internal Justice Department document (PDF) that the ACLU obtained through the Freedom of Information Act shows that, as of 2010, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint did not store the contents of text messages. Verizon did for up to five days, a change from its earlier no-logs-at-all position, and Virgin Mobile kept them for 90 days. The carriers generally kept metadata such as the phone numbers associated with the text for 90 days to 18 months; AT&T was an outlier, keeping it for as long as seven years, according to the chart.

Top Bottom