• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have probably been on many watch lists since I bought my first gun or belonged to the Military Book Club and purchased "The Ultimate Sniper" and many survival books. Belonging to the NRA probably gets you on lists. Logging on to this site probably gets you on lists. Voting repukelican probably gets you on lists. The feds probably have a record of every gun that I purchased from a shop or FFL holder for the last 40 years even though they tell you that the records are destroyed after 6 months. Half of our current deficit is probably due to the size of the budget required to watch and gather data on us all. If only half of what was shown in the old movie "Enemy of the State" big brother can keep pretty good track of all of us. What really bugs me about the whole mess is that big brother is probably wasting a lot of effort to watch me and other people like me instead of watching the real enemies of this country because they do not want to appear to be stereo-typing any particular group of tribal minded animals who would kill you at the drop of a hat for any percieved insult.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Laughing at the people saying they don't use electronic means to communicate for privacy concerns all the while posting on an open internet forum.

You equate an internet forum with texting?

One is searchable by google and it can be reasonably expected to be retreived. Users of Forums search for specific posts all the time. Forums also pay for server space to store all these messages/posts. (Site Supporters)

Texting, storage paid for by you and me through more fees because companies are forced to do something they aren't currently doing.

Do you still equate the two? Perhaps your salary is enough that you don't mind being nickle and dimed to death on this stuff.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Laughing at the people saying they don't use electronic means to communicate for privacy concerns all the while posting on an open internet forum.

There's a difference between private communication being spied on and archived to keep the future option of spying on it,
    and public somewhat anonymous communication in a public forum.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I still have yet to hear WHY no one complains about email privacy but texts crosses the line. Emails are kept by providers for future use like they are asking cellular companies. No one is invisible in the technology age we are in. It is HOW the information is used that we must watch. Cellular companies give ZERO to LEO's without a court order. Not even a ping location (they will give that to the owner however). Actually I was surprised that they DIDN'T do this all along. Everything I do at work is recorded, radio, laptop, some department phone lines. etc. After years of it, I have adjusted my lifestyle to accommodate this fact. I don't type ANYTHING that I wouldn't show my mother, my wife, or a judge if needed. I guess this could account for my lack of zealousness...I dono.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Den, how do you know no one thinks that email storage/searches aren't upsetting? Have you asked? If you start a thread about it, I would venture to say that you would find plenty of people who find it a bridge too far. I can tell you that I would surely post there. Why is it so difficult to get a warrant, and then start your surveillance as has traditionally been the case? If the person is in fact engaged in injurious or criminal behavior, then you are sure to find some evidence after the initiation of your investigation and surveillance, no?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Den, how do you know no one thinks that email storage/searches aren't upsetting? Have you asked? If you start a thread about it, I would venture to say that you would find plenty of people who find it a bridge too far. I can tell you that I would surely post there. Why is it so difficult to get a warrant, and then start your surveillance as has traditionally been the case? If the person is in fact engaged in injurious or criminal behavior, then you are sure to find some evidence after the initiation of your investigation and surveillance, no?

You might be right, I'm just going by the fact that there are NO threads about emails and no arguments comparing the two. Quite frankly, I don't care about not having old texts to go through. I never had a problem with how it is done now. These "police" groups may ask for it but it doesn't mean it will happen. I was under the impression that the police groups were asking for the ability to read texts...like we are unable to do so at the moment. That shows you how out of touch I was with this issue based on my own ignorance.

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Man I hate when people say "It's OK I have nothing to hide". Misses the whole point. Do we really want need to be a country with EVERYONE being spied upon 24/7? I think this group of police are as creepy as the TSA. Some LEOs wonder why they don't get the love on this site sometimes - here's one reason.
    Totally agree!! They may not have anything to "hide" right now. But just wait until the government decides to take away more of your freedoms and all of a sudden how many children you have or your religion are their business. By then, it will be too late.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Totally agree!! They may not have anything to "hide" right now. But just wait until the government decides to take away more of your freedoms and all of a sudden how many children you have or your religion are their business. By then, it will be too late.

I think the point is, it's already too late.

If you don't understand you've already lost your privacy and freedom, you haven't been paying attention.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    that's a reason not to text?
    i think i'll contunie to text no matter what. i use texting to keep in touch with friends and family, not to conspire crime..
    i believe they aready track some phones from time to time and you just don't know about it.

Huh? Keeping in touch with family? I've been using texting for something entirely different.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I like texting for work, having phone numbers, appointment times and dates, ect. It is way better than voice mail, people have a tendency to only put pertinent information in text and not ramble on like they do in voice mail.
    Back when our daughter was in JR high we got her a cell phone, luckily with unlimited text. Our bill back then was snail mailed to us. Her bill was 50 pages front to back, it cost $4.50 for AT&T to mail it, something like 21,000 text. She is 22 now and still text a lot... on her own account now. ;)

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    WRT to the more general privacy conversation, has anyone bothered to mention that strong encryption is free and VPN accounts are cheap? It's fairly trivial to protect yourself against anything short of rubber hose investigation.

SMS is totally insecure though. Never discuss anything that matters over SMS.

Top Bottom