Here we go again .. And they wonder why we don't respect them ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So which traffic law would you honestly cite your wife/mother/pastor for then? Unless you're willing to write them a traffic ticket then they get a free pass as well. Keep in mind that my understanding is that we're discussing traffic infractions, not actions that fall under the misdemeanor category such as OWI, reckless driving, etc.

I don't know. I wouldn't make a good cop, I know that about myself. Let's say though, that I use my discretion in this way: I will let people off from speeding if they are polite, if they have a good excuse, if they don't have any other infractions, and if they are less than X% above the limit.

I hope I would write that ticket if one of those people didn't fit my criteria.

Again, though, this is much different than never ticketing cops for several reasons. One, I'm very unlikely to constantly stop members of my family. If I were a cop in a small town and related to half the people there and I always let my family go, that would be corruption.

These are two different things.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    People seem to be hung up on the fact that j706 used the word "never" and are taking it to mean that traffic laws don't apply to cops. What if he'd said he would never give a ticket to a soldier? Or a doctor? I think the issue here is that "cop" part of the situation. People have a hair trigger when it comes to getting offended about what cops do.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't know. I wouldn't make a good cop, I know that about myself. Let's say though, that I use my discretion in this way: I will let people off from speeding if they are polite, if they have a good excuse, if they don't have any other infractions, and if they are less than X% above the limit.

I hope I would write that ticket if one of those people didn't fit my criteria.

Again, though, this is much different than never ticketing cops for several reasons. One, I'm very unlikely to constantly stop members of my family. If I were a cop in a small town and related to half the people there and I always let my family go, that would be corruption.

These are two different things.

Fair enough. I will say that I've yet to stop an off duty cop (that I know of) or a family member, so I can't say that one is more common than another. Maybe some of the more seasoned veterans of LE will chime in and share how many times they've stopped an off duty officer.

Also: I fear we're starting to get into the land of assumptions. If your family members intentionally sped and broke the laws because they knew you were on duty and would get away with it then I would agree with your corruption argument. I don't know that it's safe to assume that all cops speed and break laws when off duty because they know they will get out of it. I've known several officers who have gotten tickets for seat belt violations, speeding, etc. It's not exactly a given that a cop will have free reign without fear of getting a ticket. I drive no differently now than I did five years ago. My point is simply that what j706 really isn't much different than saying that if you happen to stop your own mother/wife/pastor/Medal of Honor recipient they'll not be given a ticket for any traffic violations, as a blanket policy.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Prove that he's not!!
    Put up or shut up!
    Making assumptions about an entire group, based on the actions of a single individual, is at best, really dumb!!
    If a Black man commits a crime, I suppose you assume that all Black men are Criminals.
    If a Priest abuses a child I suppose you assume that all Priests are Pedophiles.
    Kinda narrow minded ain't it?
    Like I said, you need to get a narrower brush!!

You're raising and knocking down straw men. Are you saying it is likely he is the only one, or unlikely? Neither of us know. I doubt from what I read here that he is the only one. I don't have the ability to prove it and you know it. It doesn't change my argument, however, even if he is the only one with that persoal policy.

I did not make any assumptions based on a single individual. I have read and heard other cops say that very thing, though I don't know if they were in his department.

Have you never heard that before?

You are arguing against things I never said. This is the fallacy of the straw man, and I believe it's quite obvious to anyone reading this thread.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    People seem to be hung up on the fact that j706 used the word "never" and are taking it to mean that traffic laws don't apply to cops. What if he'd said he would never give a ticket to a soldier? Or a doctor? I think the issue here is that "cop" part of the situation. People have a hair trigger when it comes to getting offended about what cops do.

I can tell you quite honestly that I would be equally outraged if any particular segment of society were issued a figurative get out of jail free card simply because of their profession.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    You're raising and knocking down straw men. Are you saying it is likely he is the only one, or unlikely? Neither of us know. I doubt from what I read here that he is the only one. I don't have the ability to prove it and you know it. It doesn't change my argument, however, even if he is the only one with that persoal policy.

I did not make any assumptions based on a single individual. I have read and heard other cops say that very thing, though I don't know if they were in his department.

Have you never heard that before?

You are arguing against things I never said. This is the fallacy of the straw man, and I believe it's quite obvious to anyone reading this thread.
    I think that what's obvious to anyone reading this thread is that you have made up your mind, based on your own limited knowledge.
    If you can't back up your assertion that what you are saying is a likelihood, you shouldn't be saying it. :twocents:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would guess that some LEOs would feel that way and some wouldn't. Someone brought up doctors. I know some of them act like a club. They would never think of charging another doctor for their services. So they see and treat their families and nothing is ever billed. So in a way we probably end up paying for these freebies. I deal with some attorneys on a regular basis. They have offered free legal services to me. My Dad used to have a card from his county Sheriff that asked that he be extended the courtesy of being a deputy. There is a lot of professional courtesy out there given and received.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Again, it's different. It's a cop's job to enforce the law, not a doctor's or a soldier's. By giving a pass to other cops, he's showing more loyalty to the group to which he belongs than he is to the law. His refusal to enforce the law creates goodwill among his fellows and creates an insular world.

I don't agree with him not giving tickets to soldiers or doctors as policy, but that's not corruption, that's just failing to do his job correctly.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I think that what's obvious to anyone reading this thread is that you have made up your mind, based on your own limited knowledge.
    If you can't back up your assertion that what you are saying is a likelihood, you shouldn't be saying it. :twocents:

My assertion was that it's likely he is not the only one who has that policy. My support for that assertion is that he is not the only cop I've ever heard say that or write that.

Answer this question: Have you ever heard another cop say that?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I would guess that some LEOs would feel that way and some wouldn't. Someone brought up doctors. I know some of them act like a club. They would never think of charging another doctor for their services. So they see and treat their families and nothing is ever billed. So in a way we probably end up paying for these freebies. I deal with some attorneys on a regular basis. They have offered free legal services to me. My Dad used to have a card from his county Sheriff that asked that he be extended the courtesy of being a deputy. There is a lot of professional courtesy out there given and received.

Doctors sell their services on the private market. Attornies sell their services on the private market. They can give away anything they like.

If I am a government official, knowing me and having a relationship with me should not grant you special favors under the law. The law is supposed to apply equally. The fact that it often does not is not an argument for more of the same.

A government official applying a different standard to people with whom he has a relationship is corruption. Private citizens are free to apply standards however they like.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    My assertion was that it's likely he is not the only one who has that policy. My support for that assertion is that he is not the only cop I've ever heard say that or write that.

Answer this question: Have you ever heard another cop say that?
    No!!
    I'd swear to that under oath.
    And.
    I have never, and would never, lie under oath!!!

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    Here is what a simple infraction and a few bad cops do......But, It was their discretion, Right??? And this kind of cops is what ruins the publics opinion of good LEO's....What's the old saying......It only takes one bad apple...Well here is four!!!

Crooked Cops Caught Plotting To Frame Motorist (VIDEO)

I am sure LEO's look at all citizens as criminals or it is how I have been treated 90% of the time by them....and other than 2 moving violations, I have no criminal record....

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    No!!
    I'd swear to that under oath.
    And.
    I have never, and would never, lie under oath!!!

I have heard them say it. I'm surprised that you haven't. Maybe you were one of those squeaky clean cops and they knew better than to say it around you.

I've had at least one cop tell me that over a beer with another cop sitting there with us, I've read cops posting it, and several on this board have written things that could easily be interpreted it that way.

I hope it is not as common as I've thought it was.

I know that here in Colorado we've had several highly publicized cases over the last couple of years that had to do with beatings, not tickets. Several cops were fired for lying on statements when the truth was discovered after video recordings emerged. It seems clear to me that there are some number of officers in any given department who will lie to protect fellow officers. Not giving traffic tickets seems like it's more likely, but maybe the guys willing to lie on official statements for fellow officers are also giving them traffic tickets right and left.

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    Agreed. The N.O. incidence was one of the ugliest ever revealed. My fear is that it's more common than we realize. I just wonder what would happen if a drunk police officer plowed into, say, a group of motorcyclists, maiming and killing some of them. Would any responding officers let that slide, spoil evidence, fail to take the proper steps so that he would get off. Hopefully, nothing like that happens around here.

No, no our fine officers, would never do such a thing........oh wait a minute..

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have heard them say it. I'm surprised that you haven't. Maybe you were one of those squeaky clean cops and they knew better than to say it around you.

I've had at least one cop tell me that over a beer with another cop sitting there with us, I've read cops posting it, and several on this board have written things that could easily be interpreted it that way.

I hope it is not as common as I've thought it was.

I know that here in Colorado we've had several highly publicized cases over the last couple of years that had to do with beatings, not tickets. Several cops were fired for lying on statements when the truth was discovered after video recordings emerged. It seems clear to me that there are some number of officers in any given department who will lie to protect fellow officers. Not giving traffic tickets seems like it's more likely, but maybe the guys willing to lie on official statements for fellow officers are also giving them traffic tickets right and left.
    I was Shift Commander for over nineteen years.
    None of the Officers under my Command would have made such a statement in my presence.
    Not even after a few beers.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I was Shift Commander for over nineteen years.
    None of the Officers under my Command would have made such a statement in my presence.
    Not even after a few beers.

And we appriciate such admirable service. While that does speak volumes for your department, your shift, and yourself; it doesn't change the fact that it happens elsewhere. I would also have to imagine that they wouldn't want to say things like this in front of you if it were actually happening under your command. Just as I wouldn't expect the employees under me to be bragging about what they're doing if it's not on the up-and-up (amongst themselves is one thing, bragging to a supervisor wouldn't seem to be in their own best interest). If I were in your position, and had ran a shift/dept that operated as it should with people who understand and respect their positions, I would be enraged by the actions of those few bad ones that cause such a ruckus for the rest of you.

Top Bottom