• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm looking at a Henry rifle in .17HMR, and am trying to decide between a Golden Boy or a regular Henry. First of all, does the polished brass receiver hold its looks over time with heavy use?

The second part of the question, assuming I go with a regular Henry, what are advantages or disadvantages with the octagonal barrel vs. a round barrel?

These guns are beautiful machines, but even if I get a Golden Boy, I plan on using it in the field and at the range. It won't be a safe queen.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I would guess like other brass, you would have to keep it clean as brass does tarnish over time. Although I have a standard Henry lever carbine, I would not be surprised to find they coat the brass to keep it looking good.

As to the octagon barrel vs standard round, I would guess that the octagon would be stiffer so it might be a bit more accurate. Also slightly heavier would help you keep on target slightly better.

That said, it should really come down to which trips your trigger, because all Henrys are great rifles!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Dad's Henry is 6 or 7years old, no problems with the brass, it's as pretty as the first day we shot it.

The Octogon barrel is pure nostalgia, period correct, well made, and it is quite heavy, which bothers some people, but is quite comfortable when shooting. He squirrel hunts 4 months a year with his, and still loves it.

No safe queens here, enjoy!

Merry christmas

Engine03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Indy
    Both models are excellent lever action firearms. The resale of the Golden boy will be more than the standard blued model. But not the same percent. The Blued Model holds its value better in the long run unless its a special run or limited edition Model ie .. BSA or Lincoln Model Henry.

M107

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think they clear coat the brass frame, My cousins is 4-5 years old and still looks the same as the day he bought it.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The Goldenboy's frame is the same material the standard is,the receiver cover is just coated or plated. Henry calls the stuff Brasslite and tho' resistant to tarnish is only "skin deep". Take care not to gouge it and you're good. Have seen several used ones on gun store racks really screwed up from solvent misuse. Henry says only to wipe receiver cover down with dry cloth. May be wise to heed them.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I'm looking at a Henry rifle in .17HMR, and am trying to decide between a Golden Boy or a regular Henry. First of all, does the polished brass receiver hold its looks over time with heavy use?

The second part of the question, assuming I go with a regular Henry, what are advantages or disadvantages with the octagonal barrel vs. a round barrel?

These guns are beautiful machines, but even if I get a Golden Boy, I plan on using it in the field and at the range. It won't be a safe queen.

Just get the regular henry and spend the difference from NOT buying the golden boy on ammo. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'm also contemplating the same thing right now in buying the golden boy. One nice addition also to this firearm is Henry offers special edition brass engraved personalized receiver covers.

Henry Repeating Arms Company - Henry Store

pgb_header.jpg

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I prefer the Frontier with the oct. barrel and bead (semi-buckhorn) sights. I like the increased weight forward. Mine is mdel hoo1t, standard black receiver. The Goldenboys as you probably already know also have more drop at the comb, as did many vintage guns.

Top Bottom