• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    There seems to be a lot of interest in buying M1 Garands so maybe a thread to help those who may want to buy a non CMP Garand.

Feel free to add to the list.

I'll start it off.

1. Take someone who has M1 Garand experience with you.

2. Watch for welded receivers - haven't heard about this? Make sure you field strip and pay attention to drawing and serial numbers. I have seen one in a shop so be careful.

3. There were 4 US Gov't contracted companies supplying Garands, Springfield Armory, Winchester, International Harvester, Harrington and Richardson. I know there are a few commercial manufacturers as well.

4. Check muzzle and chamber wear.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    There seems to be a lot of interest in buying M1 Garands so maybe a thread to help those who may want to buy a non CMP Garand.

Feel free to add to the list.

I'll start it off.

1. Take someone who has M1 Garand experience with you.

2. Watch for welded receivers - haven't heard about this? Make sure you field strip and pay attention to drawing and serial numbers. I have seen one in a shop so be careful.

3. There were 4 US Gov't contracted companies supplying Garands, Springfield Armory, Winchester, International Harvester, Harrington and Richardson. I know there are a few commercial manufacturers as well.

4. Check muzzle and chamber wear.

I would buy one from CMP. It is typically going to be cheaper and it won't have any import marks or a questionable past. If you have a LTCH and willing to sign up for GCA for $25 a year, its a snap.

2. Welded receiver, you will notice this pretty obvious usually a change in finish half way through the receiver.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Besides the Garand Collectors Association, you need to participate in a shooting activity, Appleseed for example or if you have a LTCH, you can just use that. If you are LEO or former military you don't need the shooting activity.

Eligibility Requirements

Sorry if this is :hijack:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There's several good books and military manuals out there that cover the M1 Garand. It's very useful and interesting information.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Has anyone been to the CMP store at Camp Perry, OH? What rifles / grade of rifles do they keep in stock?

The inventory is constantly being replaced as rifles are sold. There is always a good selction of all grades. The Nationals will be starting in a couple of weeks and there will be thousands of competitors at Camp Perry over the following 6 weeks or so.

Many of them will be buying rifles while they are there. The CMP folks stay busy putting rifles out for display.

Come up, buy your Garand, then shoot it in the Garand match. You won't be the first one to do it and you will be part of a 1000 to 1200 competitor match. It is great fun......You will get a t-shirt and maybe a medal.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Has anyone been to the CMP store at Camp Perry, OH? What rifles / grade of rifles do they keep in stock?

Go to the CMP website an click forums...then find an click N. Store for up to date info. on whats there an what isn't there.
    Been there twice.....both times they were out of all Service Grade Garands, sometimes they are out a few days, sometimes several weeks. Rack Grades are usually there but very rough. Usually quite a few Field Grades, some days there is a nice selection, some days not so good. With
    the CMP shoots going on they usually have a good seletion but do run out of the nicer Service Grades sometimes, I have bought 2 Field Grades that I'm very happy with from the N. Store. Good Luck an let us know if you make it over to buy one!!!

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    A M1 is going to be my second gun purchase followed by a 1911. All I have to do is figure out if I want a S&W M&P or SA XDm for my first.

P.S. Sorry don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Just be sure that when you buy your Z1 that you buy plenty of ammo too. And of course, without 8 round clips for your P1, it is a single shot rifle.

Pesonnally, I buy lots of F1 clips. You never can have too many B1 clips for your M1 Garand. JMO though.:D

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Just so everyone knows cmp rifles have there problem and they are still a gamble. My danish springfield charging handle would knock its self off its track every so many rounds so i needed up selling it at a loss and bought a beautiful refinished one, its not a collector by any means but still a heavy competitor at the ranges. Plus it only cost me $700 not much more than a CMP and i could look it over.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just so everyone knows cmp rifles have there problem and they are still a gamble. My danish springfield charging handle would knock its self off its track every so many rounds so i needed up selling it at a loss and bought a beautiful refinished one, its not a collector by any means but still a heavy competitor at the ranges. Plus it only cost me $700 not much more than a CMP and i could look it over.

The way I understand it,( My Brother did it also) if you have a problem with your CMP Garand you can contact them and they will send a shipping label and fix it. I'm sure it depends on what is wrong with it though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom