• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Digging thru my wife's grandparents stuff prepping for a funeral.(yah trip didn't turn out as I had hoped)..,but anyway tripped across this in the bottom of a drawer.
    null_zpse67baee2.jpg

It appears to be a S&W model 3 revolver. Big ass barrel maybe .44 caliber? Numbers on butt plate are 16868. Really heavy patina on it.

i don't know how old it is but it's old dirty and appears well used. Any info is appreciated

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    This model manufactured between 1870 and 1872 was the first top break, automatic ejecting revolver that Smith & Wesson made and also the first large caliber revolver that the company made. This is one of the first 1800 manufactured for the U.S. government with blue finish. This revolver has an "oil hole", as found on the first 1,500 or so of this model, located on the rear of the extractor housing on the bottom of the barrel lug. The top of the barrel rib is marked with the one line address and five patent dates (1860 - 1869) and "US" marked at the breech end. The barrel latch is marked ""Y2" and the serial number is marked on the butt and the matching number is stamped on the inside of the right grip panel. The is a small "P" inspection mark on the right side of the frame directly behind the recoil shield and a "P" on the right side of the barrel lug. Also Stamped are small sub inspector initials "A" on the left of the frame. All blue finish and fitted with smooth two piece walnut grips with a faint boxed cartouche on the lower left panel. The accompanying Roy Jinks Smith & Wesson letter identifies serial number "1146" as a Model 3 American First Model Oil Hole variation, with blue finish, 8" barrel, smooth walnut grips 44 S&W American caliber, that it was sold to the U.S. government on March 16, 1871 and shipped to the National Armory in Springfield, Mass. Interesting enough, this model was introduced 3 years before the Colt Single Action Army revolver and is probably, more than any other model, associated with the historic American West. The American revolver was the first cartridge revolver adopted by the U.S. military and saw usage in the Indian Wars. The consignor notes state that this revolver was in the Charles Duffy collection for over 50 years.
    BBL: 8 inch solid rib
    Stock:
    Gauge: 44 American
    Finish: blue
    Grips: walnut
    Serial Number: 1146
    Condition: Very good. The revolver shows strong traces of the original blue finish in protected areas, otherwise the metal surfaces have a smooth mottled gray patina with a couple of areas that show evidence of some cleaning. The grips are good with some wear and minor chips on the lower edges, overall a few minor dings and dents. The cartouche is lightly visible. The action is excellent. A solid documented example of an early "Oil Hole Variation, U.S. contract Model 3 American revolver with factory letter.

Desirable U.S. Smith & Wesson Model 3 American 1st Model Single Action Revolver with Factory Letter

This may help.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    null_zps33f36a7f.jpg

Next box I pulled out had a few cartridges in it. 2 sizes. One is .44 S&W...

thanks ls for info guys.

My plan is to offer to take it home and clean it up. Oil it, and put it in a pistol case awaiting further instructions from the father in law. Cleaning and oiling won't hurt value will it?

I will ill also use link above...thanks!

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Be very careful cleaning it. Don't try to wire brush off any petina. I'm not any sort of gun restoration expert (not even close) but I've seen enough Antique Roadshow and the like where people try to "clean up" the old antique and basically ruin the value.

Wrap it up and see what some firearms historians/restoration experts say.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Yah I have seen pawn stars enough to know too clean and it's value plummets. Wish I knew how her grandad got it. I doubt he got it from anyone special as it was just thrown in bottom cabinet drawer and not in a safe or anything. I am guessing he got it at an auction

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You CAN, however, knock off any rust that may be there.

But like said, don't go crazy. Leave the patina - rid the rust.

I used a very fine steel wool (0000, I think) and WD-40 when I was cleaning up an old Belgian shotgun I had.

You may want to also see if you can wipe off the ammo and begin thinking about a "display case" with the ammo and gun together.

-J-

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am not sure what will become of it yet. They had talked about me taking home any firearms to get them cleaned and preserved but other than that not sure if they will want to sell them or what. Seems like the mentality of those who will take control is to assume everything is going to be sold as 'no one will want it'.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for info. I got ok to stabalize it. Found out it is a family hand me down and not an auction buy. Father in law was wanting to get it appraised and maybe sell it but showed interest in keeping it too. Going to do the shadow box and letter as Christmas gift to him...hope that spurs him to keep it.

Top Bottom