• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive been tossing around the Idea of doing another AR over the summer but really cant pin down what Id want. Well because thats what the disease does, its makes you want to have a safe full of them:D. I already have a 16" carbine in .223, and I have my Bench rest AR also in .223. what other calibers should I consider? Will probably go with another 16" gun, but I guess mainly hung up on caliber and possible configuration. The gun will be for... well shooting. Maybe a platform and caliber that I could put on a red dot and go, or change over to scope an put a bipod on the from and shoot it off the bench as well. So what do you guys think? :ar15:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    The .308 build is fun and reasonably cheap to get done with quality standards. i prefer to keep mine for the "bet i can hit that" shoots.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I already have a 16" carbine in .223, and I have my Bench rest AR also in .223. what other calibers should I consider?

Maybe a platform and caliber that I could put on a red dot and go, or change over to scope an put a bipod on the from and shoot it off the bench as well.

Sounds like your existing 16" .223 carbine could do this. .223 is accurate, low recoil, and relatively inexpensive (as centerfire rifle calibers go). For "shooting," the only other calibers I'd suggest are 9mm and/or a dedicated .22, both of which would be more economical than .223, while also allowing you to shoot at places that don't allow centerfire rifle (i.e. indoor ranges, ECPR, etc).

If you just want something "different," then the sky is the limit, caliber-wise. Might try a sip of the .300 BLK :koolaid:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Sounds like your existing 16" .223 carbine could do this. .223 is accurate, low recoil, and relatively inexpensive (as centerfire rifle calibers go). For "shooting," the only other calibers I'd suggest are 9mm and/or a dedicated .22, both of which would be more economical than .223, while also allowing you to shoot at places that don't allow centerfire rifle (i.e. indoor ranges, ECPR, etc).

If you just want something "different," then the sky is the limit, caliber-wise. Might try a sip of the .300 BLK :koolaid:

Well I guess really just want something different:D. The .300BLK does sound very interesting, been doing a little reading on it the last couple days.

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Yeah!! 300 blackout...or you could do one in 308. Or 6.8mm. Or 9mm. Or 22lr. Who are we kidding...it's only a matter of time before you have them all!!

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I have been looking into the same issues as I have another ar in 556 coming. I have been thinking about getting an upper in 300blk and another in 6.5 Grendel. I feel like that should satisfy all real ranges I want to shoot to with minimal changes to my current setups.

To go a little farther I would be looking at aimpoint or clones for the 16in 5.56 and 300blk and vortex scopes for the 18in 5.56 and 6.5

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    For the AR platform the .223 is a great all-around cartridge that is relatively cheap to shoot and ammo is available at 'sale' prices. The odd-ball calibers almost always require reloading which is fine but anytime you shoot a heavy bullet the price goes up...To me the AR calibers with appeal are .223, .308 and .450 BM...all very practical, affordable, available, and they get the intended job done.

Garrett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you can afford it. I would definitely recommend an IOR 1.5-8x26 for your AR. The 1.5 is excellent for CQ and then the 8x for your reach out and touch something. Plinking coke cans at 650.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Or maybe even a Ruger 204? at over 4000fps with hornady 32gr v-max. It can really reach out there its not the cheapest but can really do some damage to some varmints.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    300 blk sounds great but i have yet to start reloading and factory ammo is scarce or i would also build a 300blk but if i did that i would want a suppressor to go with it whats the point in having a sub-sonic rifle without a suppressor...? Man i need another job to pay for all of this...
    |||thread jack>>> anyone know of anyplace hiring part time? <<< end thread jack|||

Top Bottom