• illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hello,

Scenario:coyote hunting
    Gun: AR15 - 16" barrel, 1:9

What type of .223 do you recommend? For plinking, I typically buy just what is available and affordable, not paying any special attending to FMJ, etc.

For coyote hunting, what type of bullet is best to use? Does it really matter? I have no interest in keeping a pelt fully in tact.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I don't look for anything specific.
    I have some HP's but don't care what I shoot at the dogs.. it's all going to kill them.

but for some of those that hunt for the fur, they may want to use something that's not going to have a huge exit hole..:dunno:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Whatever is most accurate in your rifle. You'll be the first to know, but tell us when you find out. ;)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    In .223 I use a 55gr PSP from Hornady, but honestly I dont use my AR that often for them. My favorite for coyotes is my .308 bolt gun, loaded with its favorite target round, 167gr SMKs. They are certainly overkill, but I dont hunt them to save hides, only save chickens, and the results can be spectacular with a good hit. Not quite prairie dogs with a .243, but still impressive, and puts them down as fast as I know how..

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Its all going to kill no matter what the projectile especially if you dont care about hides. My 16 AR is also 1-9 and it shoots 69 SMKs like a laser beam. I have taken hogs with them also. Winchester pointed soft points should be a nice round. At this point in time I would go with what ever you can find and load up.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    I shot one at 254 yards off my porch with a green tip last week. He spun a few circles and hit the dirt. I usually use 53 grain v max but the ar was not loaded with them and he was going down. The 62 grain punched right threw it but still did its job. The v max rarely exits the coyote like the green tip did, but drops them just the same. O and I got to do this suppressed since I live in colorado now. I think what ever you have on hand will work fine.

Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    My AR has a 1 in 9 twist and I shoot a hornady 50 gr. boat tail z-max and load with 28 grains of CFE-223 powder and my gun shoots 5 shot 3/8 groups at 100 yards. I've shot 16 yotes this year with it and all drop where they stand. So far it is my favorite load for my AR.

Top Bottom