• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    I am turning to the members of this forum for some sound advise on what to do. Here is the situation....I have a Rossi stainless. 357 snubbie that I purchased new last spring from a LGS. I ran .38 specials thru her with no problems at all. Then, I began having lockup issues every four or five rounds of target. 357 ammo. I had read that this was an issue with many Rossi revolver during the initial break in period. A few weeks ago I attempted to run 6 rounds of quality. 357 self defense hollowpoints thru the pistol. On the 3rd round it locked up but I was able to work the cylinder free. On the 5th round it locked up so tight that the hammer wouldn't even move at all. After about a half an hour of effort I was finally able to free the cylinder and remove the remaining live round. The hammer, however, was still frozen and the pistol was completely inoperable. I then removed the side plate to find that several springs were dislodged and bent all to hell. My question I would like advise on is this...Should I return it to Rossi and wait up to six weeks or more to receive a fixed yet still questionably week funtioning pistol or should I take it to a quality gunsmith and have it repaired and tweeked and somehow beefed up so as to possibly avoid such issues in the future? I guess a third option would be to have it factory repaired and then sell it and spend the extra cash for a Ruger sp101 or a S&W 686. Any good advise would be greatly appreciated since this or its replacement will be my preferred EDC weapon. Thanks in advanced.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Return it to Rossi. They have a decent customer service. It may take a while, but they may just replace it rather than fixing it.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I also would recommend sending it back to Rossi. I had a similar problem with a Rossi revolver about 20 years ago. Fourtunatly I found a local gunsmith that could fix it. It was enough of a pain that thats the reason I only use S&W and Ruger DA wheelguns from then on out.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I also would recommend sending it back to Rossi. I had a similar problem with a Rossi revolver about 20 years ago. Fourtunatly I found a local gunsmith that could fix it. It was enough of a pain that thats the reason I only use S&W and Ruger DA wheelguns from then on out.

^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hard to say what the failure was, you do have boogered springs as a sign.....but those alone don't point to the problem.

You need to have it looked at, debugged by somebody who thinks before acting.

The problem may be as simple as a bad spring from the factory and a quick replacement could have it running fine.

Dunno.

A decent problem solver would be able to check/test and see if it really needed to go back to the factory.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy

I agree there, I have heard of quality being low on Rossi firearms. I personally suggest getting it fixed and getting rid of it.

Top Bottom