• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's what I'm wondering, The OP said he had to pry the slide open with a screwdriver. Are you sure you did not do the damage to the cases , gouges and bullet setback, when you were prying on it?

Typically I have seen when someone lodges the bullets ogive into the rifling before the slide fully locks and it's forced open, the bullet doesn't set back under the force of opening the slide, but rather pulls out of the case as you pry open on the slide....

One of those was a round nose?? :dunno:

I agree ! It looks more like a deformed flat point, which could explain some of the issue here if he loaded it to an OAL for a round nose...

I think it's quite possible there is more than (1) issue here... I don't know crap about 1911's and their extractors, but it's quite obvious to me by the amount of setback after just (1) attempted chambering there is at least a issue with the loading procedure....

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    The plated bullets are either round nose 200gr(extreme 1.250 oal) or SWC 200gr(Berrys 1.188 oal).

The lead rounds are Indiana Bullet Co "round nose flat point" and are loaded to 1.188" oal...I have had these out longer with positive results, but the crimp groove becomes uncovered.

I guess I should have been more specific when posting the different bullets.

The gun failed to go completely into battery and therefore was locked up tight...I was able to pry with a screw driver(ever so gently) between the slide and the barrel hood...once the slide was pried free...the round was ejected.

Ive had this gun fail to go into battery a few other times, but just assumed it was because it was hot, dirty, and tight due to round count...I shoot some pretty dirty stuff (light loads of green dot or power pistol)...so Im used to the slide getting slow as the round count increases(150+).

The battery issues at the range where fixed with a "tap" and all was well...if it doesnt go with a tap, the round gets cleared....any cleared round has never had this problem.

INGO has convinced me its an ammo related failure...but I HAVE to assume it partially related to how tight the gun is because my old Kimber ate a BUNCH of these and never sneezed/hiccup/farted.

I will try and get some more dummy rounds made up and try this again, posting the results of the feed cycle and the ammo dimensions.

Thanks everyone
    God bless
    -Shred

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I've just been watching and reading as this thread developed. I have a sig1911 and have had 2 FTF's in 1000 rounds and I thought it might be similar to what I experienced.

My casings looked similar to yours though the setback on the bullet was no where near as drastic. I found the cause of mine to be 2 things. First, the feedramp was very dirty after 250 rounds through, this caused some slowdown with the cartridge entering the chamber off the feed ramp. Second, it was the last round in the magazine (and both FTF's were off the same magazine). The bullet didn't proceed up the ramp at the proper angle and got jammed up, it put some small scratches into the case and flattened the top of the bullet (Kudos to the Sig spring there, I guess, for being so beastly). I noticed some slight set back on the round, but it wasn't near as bad as what I saw in yours. I was shooting PMC (240grain I think) I'll verify when I get home.

When I go to shoot mine now I take a brush and hit the feedramp every 100-200 rounds or so, that has kept me from having anymore FTF's, even from the mag that caused them.

On a side note I have also noticed that if you even slightly over-lube a Sig 1911 you'll regret it, they are built to some pretty specific tolerances and putting that gunk and buildup in there with those tolerances not only makes a mess but can cause issues as well. Lately I've been using a dry lube in some places and that's helped.

Top Bottom