• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO.

Sold all my other hand guns except this new Sig 1911 nightmare, because I have never had a problem out of it.

Shooting reloads voids the warranty on these pistols, so for all intents and purposes these are "factory" ammunition rounds.

Was doing mag swap drills and had the slide bind up so tight I had to pry it away from the barrel with a screw driver and found what follows.

Tried it with a total of four rounds and this is what i got.

Two are factory 200gr SWC, one is factory 200gr LRNFP, one is factory 200gr RN.
    Everything except the round nose ammo what set back almost flush with the case mouth...the Round nose bullet was not set back but was severely marred.
    picture.php

WTF!!!

What causes this?...should I send this back to Sig?...I hope its not setting the bullets back during LIVE fire....never had any cases showing pressure problems and this is the first malfunction I have had with this gun.

Please help.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Try a different mag and some round nose bullets.
    Mag spring bad, follower binding?
    My first thought would be the magazine bad. OR incorrect mag?
    I'd assume the Sig would feed about anything.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just a pointer: the phase is "for all intents and purposes" not "for all intensive purposes".

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle! G-I- JOE!!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    What's your crimp measurement on those?

It appears that the factory crimp was very light...three where .471 and the LRN(LRNFP) was .467.

Magazines where CMC's....the factory metalform mags hold 230gr PDX as well as 230gr Golden Sabers...and feed them well....these are well tested and proven magazines.

Never had problems like this out of my old Kimber.

God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Just a pointer: the phase is "for all intents and purposes" not "for all intensive purposes".

I believe you mean "phrase"....fixed it...thats funny...thanks for checking me and reading my post closely.

God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Well my Nightmare 1911 has eaten anything and everything. I would call sig and maybe send it back. That or you could trade /sell me that piece of crap for a good price.

This sucker is REALLY tight...very hard to get back together after a field strip.
    But is has been a tack driver so far at the range.

I'll bet it takes me three times as long to get back together as my old Kimber...wish I still had that gun...I thought Sigs where bullet proof.

My Kimber ate EVERYTHING....This Sig is somthing else.

God bless
    -Shred

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If I had to guess, I would imagine you are headspacing on the extractor. How do they pass the "plunk" test? Are the bullets hitting the lands, ie: too much OAL?

loads of things could cause that, but bullet on the left seems to be hitting the lands HARD.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Bullet are actually loaded fairly short at 1.222".

I will have to take her apart to check the "plunk" test tomorrow....but I will....just for giggles.

I personally think the problem is the feed ramp but for the life of me I can not explain the "rifling" marks on the unfired bullets.

Thanks for all the input INGO...keep em coming...gotta figure this out..

God bless
    -Shred

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    just a pointer you

If you are going to be the phrase police, then use the correct word for phrase. We will have to phase you off of INGO if you do not use the correct phraseology. :lol2:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I personally think the problem is the feed ramp but for the life of me I can not explain the "rifling" marks on the unfired bullets.

Often feeding issues are actually extractor issues. That would also make sense if cartriges are binding up on the rim end. Not readily letting the bullet end go where it's supposed to, hence your bullet/case damage and setback.

Here is a guide, but I'm not sure it will help with what IIRC is an external extractor. It will give an understanding of what is supposed to happen and how to check for proper tension, etc:
    1911 Reliability Secrets

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    Does this happen with all magazines, or just one brand? I'm guessing the rounds are not being stripped from the magazine at the proper angle and are hitting the top of the chamber or low on the feed ramp.

Have you checked the extractor yet?

What looks like rifling marks in your pictures is strange.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Firstly, out of all my 1911s, my Sig is the tightest one, too. I've heard from other owners that they are NOTORIOUSLY tight...so that explains part of your problem (with reassembly).

As for your reloads and set-back... does this happen with factory, too?
    What's the OAL of a factory round your Sig likes and what's the OAL of your reload? Maybe it's not so much "crimp" if you are using tapered crimp dies...but more the depth of the seat?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The 3rd case from the left looks like it's split. Split cases provide NO neck tension no matter how much they're crimped and will setback very easily.

That kind of setback is usually the result of improper reloading practices.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    The 3rd case from the left looks like it's split. Split cases provide NO neck tension no matter how much they're crimped and will setback very easily.

That kind of setback is usually the result of improper reloading practices.
    All cases appear to me as none of them had any crimp and maybe even a slight bell. :dunno:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    No GAP here...plunk test is a pass....loosey goosey.

I removed the recoil spring and guide, then put the bushing back in to function check it and it happened one more time ....I switched mags a few time to see if it was mag related does not seem to be.

I noticed some copper shavings in the dust cover too.

Please and thank you
    Thanks for all the replies....still hoping to figure this out.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom