• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm new to reloading, and learning on a Dillon 650.

Having a "Blast" reloading, and was able to get into a pretty good rhythm reloading my 44mags without much fuss at all, but now that I've switched over to 9mm I'm having no end of problems getting brass drop from the feed tube into station 1 properly. Only around 5% of the time it feeds brass to station 1 properly, otherwise it either drops the brass sideways, half drops a second case when one is already in station 1, wedges brass at the top of the ramp, or other problems like that. Before anyone asks, yes I changed out all the case feed parts with the ones from the 9mm conversion kit. I just can't see the root cause.

Looking for suggestions. Sometimes it appears to feed extra brass after it's already filled station 1, sometimes it drops the brass sideways, or worse half drops a second case and it gets squashed a bit at the top of the black feed ramp before I see it. I reverted to hand loading the brass into station 1 tonight just to get some rounds loaded, but I bought a 650 specifically because it should be able to do that crap for me.

Help me please! I don't see any adjustments that I can make that I believe would help, and can't see why it's doing it. If no-one has any suggestions I'll try to take a video of the problem and post it somewhere so maybe someone can see what the problem is by watching.

Please help me out guys!
    -Xanderphillips

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The cam for the drop lever is the probably suspect. There are two ways that it goes. One way for rifle, which MIGHT work for 44Mag, and the other way for pistol that will make the 9mm work. I don't know what your setup there is so.....

Take some pictures and I could help more. I have two of them and I run 9mm and 40S&W a lot without issues. I also run 45Colt on the same machines without issues.

Hope this helps.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Skip seems to have it right as that would be my guess. There is also an operating rod that activates the cam. In your manual it says that sometimes it needs adjusted for different diameter cases. What's your location? If someone is in your area they might be able to help. If your close to me I'd be glad to come help.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Case insert slide cam

The cam for the drop lever is the probably suspect. There are two ways that it goes. One way for rifle, which MIGHT work for 44Mag, and the other way for pistol that will make the 9mm work. I don't know what your setup there is so.....

Take some pictures and I could help more. I have two of them and I run 9mm and 40S&W a lot without issues. I also run 45Colt on the same machines without issues.

Hope this helps.
    You got it. With the handle full down adjust the case insert slide cam so the 9mm case drops freely through the bushing. I know it doesn't seem like this would have to be adjusted but invariably I have to. Especially going from a big case to a smaller case.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Also ensure that you have changed the body bushing going from 44 to 9.

I did change that (the aluminum bushing under the feed tube right?)

I'll look at the cam also, as I didn't think that was adjustable. I'm not seeing how adjusting the rod would change the outcome of the placement of the shell on the shell plate feed slot, but will mess with that as well to see if that helps.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!

If I don't sort it out I'll take the pics and maybe someone's sharpshooter eyes can see what I'm missing!

-Xanderphillips

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Thanks for update. Was wondering. Now I know to reverse slide cam for long pistol. Who would have thought. (mongo404-you da man)

Top Bottom