• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    So I am looking into getting a .308 bolt action. Main brands I am looking at Remington 700, Savage Model 10 (i think), or Browning X bolt. Primary purpose would be target shooting, maybe some coyote hunting. Right now Im leaning towards the browning esp with the recent issues Remington has had. However I know ZERO experience with bolt gun. What bolt guns do you guys/gals like?

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Personally I prefer the Rem700. My .308 was under the recent trigger recall but already replaced the trigger with a Timney so that did not affect me. The savages are nice for people who want/prefer to work on their rifle at home. The Rem 700 is a tried and true platform.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I would also pick the 700 over the other choices. The savages I've shot just don't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, they are good rifles. Just not my cup-o-tea.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've got a Savage 10FP in .223 and love it.
    I took it prairie doggin a few years ago, put about 1000 rounds through it that week, never had an issue with it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How much money do you want to spend?

Lots of folks seem to poo-poo the Browning guns. But I'm not nearly knowledgeable to know why.

Another line to consider: CZ. Fine guns.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    You might also look at the Howa 1500 offering.
    Nice rifle.
    Got one in a 20" .308. It shoots lights out. I adjusted the factory trigger and bedded the action into a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. The Howa has a glass smooth action.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I have a X-Bolt Medallion in .243 Win. The short 60 degree bolt lift is very smooth and fast. The trigger is crisp and light ( about 3.75 lbs.). I really like the tang-mounted safety for ease of access. It's a medium weight rifle at about 7 pounds w/o scope. But the "X-Lock" scope mounts are a solution to a non-existent problem. Over-all I like it very much.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    For a little bit more money you could purchase one of my favorite rifles; the SAKO 85 GREY WOLF. Mine is in .270 Win. It is by far the best bolt-action rifle I have ever owned.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I bought two 10fp savage guns way back before they were cool in 2000. They for the money are a more accurate rifle. They are almost as expensive as the remington 700 now. The savages used to not be as supported by the aftermarket indusrty. Anymore I think its a toss up between the remingtons and the savages. If you want to toss a wrench in the works compare and consider the winchester 70 too!

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    After Savage Arms Comany developed the AccuTrigger in 2002, most rifle makers had to step up to the plate and start giving us bolt-action shooters a decent trigger. A big Thank You to Savage! There are a lot of very accurate rifles being produced today for less than $1000, (some are a lot less). The Tikka comes to mind as well as the Thompson/Center Venture. The Ruger American also has a lot of features for the money. A Howa is a fine rifle as well as the Weatherby Vanguard(made by Howa).

Last edited:

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm a big fan of the 700 platform. Then again, i like just about anything Remington. There is a reason the marine snipers, army snipers and police sharpshooters use the 700 action. And the x mark pro trigger is not bad IMO. Mine has a consistent, crisp break at about 3.5 lbs. I actually prefer it over the accutrigger, which is pretty decent as well. Either way, I would not base a bolt gun purchase on whether I liked the trigger or not. Timney makes nice aftermarket triggers for around $115.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've had very good luck with Savage. All have shot sub MOA out of the box. Even the ones with the "cheap" stocks.

Aftermarket parts are not a problem at all. In fact you can just buy a target action and go from there.

In fact after having my first custom barrel, at under $300 installed, I will have a hard time ever buying another rifle "off the rack".

Ngdonut makes an excellent point, a Timney would be a welcome addition to any rifle. The Accutrigger from Savage is decent, and the old Savage trigger can me adjusted to shoot very well, but neither one will ever be a target trigger (to be fair, I have not shot a Target Accutrigger).

My only other comment would be your caliber choice... for target and coyotes, the .308 as good as it is would be far from the top of the list.

Top Bottom