• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    IMO, the best deal on the market is for a discontinued line. This rifle was ahead of it's time, it' IMO the best non-custom rifle out there, and they're getting harder to find. They were supposed to sell for 1000 or so, but you can find them on Gunbroker now for almost half that. The Thompson Icon. I've owned three of them, they are wonderful rifles. Huge fan.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    I was going thru the same thing as you. Gun for same purpose you mentioned. I finally decided and ordered this today. $550 plus tax. I will get $75 back via the current rebate. So about $513 net.
    Savage Arms

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For an off-the-shelf rifle <$1k, I would go Ruger M77, Browning X-Bolt, Ruger American Predator, Remington 700 (in that order) before the Savage. If you plan on customizing it, then the Remington 700 is probably your best bet. It is not that my Savages haven't shot well, they have, and I can understand why people like them. For my money, though, I feel the Ruger American is a better value at the low end and their are plenty of other options at the mid- to high-end. Since you mentioned it will probably see light use and are not looking to beat it up, I might put the Browning over the M77.

If you are note married to the .308 caliber, you might want to look at: 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, .260 Rem, or .243 Win. All of these offer some substantial benefits (in terms of available bullet/load selection & recoil) for most shooters and few, if any, drawbacks for the occasional target shooter or predator hunter.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have 3 and soon to be 4 700's of various calibers. Long and short actions. I am really happy with them all. Plus they are American made. that's a plus to me right there!

DarkElite220

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2014
    Bloomington
    Got one in a 20" .308. It shoots lights out. I adjusted the factory trigger and bedded the action into a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. The Howa has a glass smooth action.

I also have a Howa, although in 22-250 its an excellent rifle out of the box, although they are japanese made, build quality is outstanding, much better than the newer remington 700's IMO

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    It is almost a blonde versus brunett situation! Can't go wrong! I myself would prefer to save a few more shillings and go with Big Green. That being said, no second rate feelings need to be felt if Savage or others are selected.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The Mossberg MVP line warrants a look see.

Limited availability has given way to several calibers being offered and a cult like following because of the out of the box accuracy.

There is a solid enthusiasts driven development of custom machined parts to eliminate key plastic parts and the ability to use existing AR-15 and AR-10 mags is pretty sweet.

Mossberg MVP Forum

Top Bottom