• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Building a budget beater AR cabine that could be considered a truck gun. Found some good deals on budget optics over the weekend and trying to decide on the Vortex Sparc or a Bushnell 1-4 with the .223 BDC.

In my current AR collection, I have an Aimpoint Comp M2, ACOG and a Vortex Viper PST...so I get the fact that "you get what you pay for." Since I already have some higher end AR's and higher end optics, I'm ok with this being more of a budget build.

I'm leaning towards the Sparc since I really like the red-dot for quick aiming on a carbine. Then again, I'm intrigued by the claim that the 1-4 Bushnell can function like a red-dot on the 1x setting, but then has the 4x capability if I decided I needed it. Both deals I've found put the price in the same ballpark although I'd have to come up with a mount for the Bushnell.

Anyone use either of them and have any suggestions?

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I have the sparc and really enjoy it. Plus for a truck gun you could always throw some flip ups on it too in case either were to come off zero. I don't have any experience with the other one you're looking at. All I can say is I really like the sparc.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    For a "Truck Gun" I went with a Primary Arms micro red dot with co-witness iron sights so my vote would be for the Sparc with BUIS.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I guess it is in the need of a truck gun. A roll back to the truck to retrieve it for self defense or a farm truck for the target of opportunity. I would choose the latter and I would go 2-6 or 3-9. I see the long range coyote or ground hog more than the other.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The Sparc takes a strange battery that I have never been able to find locally, I've always had to order it online. The sight was nice and the dot was clean but it was the only one that used a different battery. I changed it out for a Bushnell red dot that used the 2032 cells. Something to consider to keep resources in order.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The Sparc takes a strange battery that I have never been able to find locally, I've always had to order it online. The sight was nice and the dot was clean but it was the only one that used a different battery. I changed it out for a Bushnell red dot that used the 2032 cells. Something to consider to keep resources in order.

I'm pretty sure the current v2 version of the SPARC takes a 2032. I have one of the v1 SPARCs on my truck gun and I like it. I did manage to bend the aluminum housing in front of the objective lens, but it doesn't affect function. I had a Draco with a PA RDS gen 1 on it that worked great. Over 5k on an Ultimak and I never had any problems.When I traded it with the Draco it was still going strong. I love my Vortex PST 1-4x, but I don't think it's as good as an RDS for a truck gun but the OP might envision a different use than I do.

R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    If you like your viper pst why not try vortex's new crossfire II 1-4, its in the 200-250 range and in my opinion much better glass.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Bushnell TRS-25 is usually available at under $80, and is what our range staff recommended for a budget RDS. I'm sure Phylodog could say what all they tested and how, but they are reliable in their testing to simulate real world use before recommending anything specific.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The Bushnell TRS-25 is usually available at under $80, and is what our range staff recommended for a budget RDS. I'm sure Phylodog could say what all they tested and how, but they are reliable in their testing to simulate real world use before recommending anything specific.

I would agree with this statement. Honestly when going for something cheap, scopes are pretty underwhelming.

I've actually used a TRS-25 and was impressed with it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just a quick update. I appreciated all the advice you guys gave me...but still was having a hard time making up my mind. So I did what anyone else with BRD (black rifle disease) would do, and browsed the ARFCOM classifieds. Found a "like new" Millet DMS1 with the Dot in Donut reticle for $125, and found a QD PEPR mount for $85. So...for $210 I'm into a decent combination of optic + mount. Yeah, there are much better choices out there...but thought I did ok for the money.

Looking forward to trying the 1-4 Millet out. I hear a lot of mixed reviews on it, but figure for what I have invested, I'm not going to get burnt too bad, and may find that I like it. The 4x option will be nice for the occasional 'yote that might need whacking when I don't have my other Coyote killers on hand.

Top Bottom