• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beer~Shower

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Hamilton County
    go with a gp100, awesome gun for the money. right around 500 w/tax brand new. 4inch if you want a sd gun/range blaster. i like the standard blue finish with hogue wood grips.
    9skCgU.jpg

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    + 1 for Smith Wesson 66 or 686. You will pay a little more for a Smith over a Ruger or Taurus but I think the quality is worth the extra $. There are some good deals on used wheel guns out there....

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You can find GREAT deals on used S&W. I picked up my 686 for $325. It looked like it had barely been shot and the woman at the shop said a lady she knew bought it new to see if she could handle a .357, she didn't like it so she decided to hang on to it for a few years before selling it back. I know that I got really lucky to find a deal like that on a gun in the condition but they are out there.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'll go against the grain here! I own a 4" GP100 and i don't like it! I plan on selling it for either a Blackhawk or a S&W 686. I can't get over how bad the trigger is. A friend owns a Dan Wesson with a trigger that makes the Ruger feel like a peice of garbage. Don't get me wrong, if anything I'm a Ruger fanboy, but i just can't get over how bad the DA trigger is on this (particular) gun. I've shot a few S&W .22's and the trigger on those is comparable to the Dan Wesson and again embarrass my Ruger. I own a Single Six that i love and will never sell and a Super Blackhawk that is a tack driver so don't think i just hate Ruger.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Watch GB and pick up a lightly used Smith 686. 6 or 7 shots with the best trigger around. The GP100 would be my second choice. 4" in either model would suit you quite well.

Here are a couple nice 686s that would work:
    Smith & Wesson 686 4 inch : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    Smith 357 Magnum 686-1 4 inch Stainless : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

You can score one for <500 in a week or two if you watch the auctions and don't get into a bidding war. I've seen several go for $480 in the last couple weeks.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    smiths, colts, beautifull guns, but a little pricey. also a .357 round might go through the bad guy and into a loved one in the other room. or across the street for that matter. a charter arms .44 spl. a bigger, slower, moving caliber might be a better way to go. you could always use snake shot in a .357 or a 12 gauge shot gun is nice. you might also get a nice pitbull and just feed her in the morning by nightime she'll be a badass anti-trespassing machine. you have many options. take your time. good luck

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Quite a few good choices in your price range. I have a Taurus and a Charter revolver and love them both. Obviously Smiths are just great! I am also a big fan of the Ruger revolvers GP100, SP101 very nice shooters and built to last. Good luck with your decision, revolvers are awesome! I want at least 3 or 4 more myself :D

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    Easy: Smith 3" M60. You get:

Concealability (disappears in a OWB pancake holster)
    Stainless Steel
    .38 Special (to include shot shells) or .357 capability
    Adjustable sights (yep, handy on a 3" gun)

It's the one that always accompanies me in the field. Truly versatile.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    S&W 686 6" 7-shot trigger mechanism polished...I've owned it for ~12-15 years now. I have shot paper plates and milk jugs easily at 50 yards...2 doe at 45+ yards with open sights. One of the nicest guns I've ever owned or fired. I also have a Taurus 85 ultra-lite...or should say my wife does! Also a very nice shooter and for it's purpose shoots very accurately at 15 yards. I have always liked the GP-100 series and have never purchased due to having the Smith. I have shot several different models due to the kindness of other owners and love the way they feel also. You can't beat a good revolver. I wonder if Glock will ever make a revolver!?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Easy: Smith 3" M60. You get:

Concealability (disappears in a OWB pancake holster)
    Stainless Steel
    .38 Special (to include shot shells) or .357 capability
    Adjustable sights (yep, handy on a 3" gun)

It's the one that always accompanies me in the field. Truly versatile.

How could I have forgotten? My 3" model 60 with CT grips is one of my favorite revolvers. Although it limits me to 5 shots, I shoot it well even to beyond 50 yards. It handles well and is very concealable. It is my primary home defense handgun. I like my 3" model 66 too, but it is a little bulky and heavy for daily carry IMHO.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    That GP100 in blue with the wood grips is a sweeeet looking gun! Something about the contrast of the wood and blue finish...

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    Don't know if it falls outside of your parameters, but my brother just bought the Taurus Judge for home defense and he loves it. I shot it over christmas it was real smooth.

It is chambered for either .410 shotshell or .45 LC. And i don't know about the rest of you, but if someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night it would be nice to throw a couple of .410 scatter shots at the intruder to give me time to line up a .45 LC. my brother chambers the first two cylinders with .410 double OO, followed by .45 LC's. 2 quick shots followed by one to finish the job.

bk1330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Jeffersonville,IN
    Smith & Wesson 625 in .45 acp with full moon clips reloading is almost as fast as a semi auto and noone ever complained about using .45 acp for home defense.

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    i've never met a gun i didn't like get the one that feels right after you a clip or two go to a dealer who allows test firing

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Watch GB and pick up a lightly used Smith 686. 6 or 7 shots with the best trigger around. The GP100 would be my second choice. 4" in either model would suit you quite well.

Here are a couple nice 686s that would work:
    Smith & Wesson 686 4 inch : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    Smith 357 Magnum 686-1 4 inch Stainless : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

You can score one for <500 in a week or two if you watch the auctions and don't get into a bidding war. I've seen several go for $480 in the last couple weeks.

The ones that I posted in the links above went for $405 and the other had no bids at $425. Best buy out there if you watch the auctions.

Top Bottom