HELP!!!!! Homemade gun cleaning solvent????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya 'll.....
    After a great day of shootin up stuff, I just ran out of cleaner, and don't feel like going to Wally World now. Anyone got a home brew for a gun cleaning solvent of some type????

Thanks...

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Take it in the shower with you and scrub it down with soap and water. Then rinse well, shake out all the water and douse it with WD-40.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Simple Green is excellent, non-toxic, does a great job and is cheap since it is a concentrate. The only down side is that I have heard that is doesn't like aluminum but I have never left it on long enough to have any problems with my SIGS or AR's.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well now that depends on what it is. If it's a glock, according to a certain certified glock armorer, just find your closest mud puddle - drop it in - stomp on it a few times - then shake off any excess. If it's a 1911, some Desitin diaper rash cream would probably work best. Glad I could help!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    When I was a young lad 55 years ago, I never had Gun cleaning solvent. I usually used Kerosene - Lamp oil or even gasoline. Mineral spirits (paint thinner), Naptha, or other solvents also work, but keep strong solvents off the wood. Dish soap and water work well but you must dry well and oil quickly to prevent rust. Brake cleaner would work well. I used 3 in One oil for protection. Don't remember any rust problems ever, but did keep my gun well oiled. My pull through cleaner was a Bobby pin on the end of a string with a small rag on the other end. Worked very well, should have patented the method :>).

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Gotta love break cleaner,, got a couple cases in the garage (VIA work ;)... Looks like we are headed to flap jacks for morning chow, so maybe we'll just swing by Wally World and look at their AR'S and get some stuff. Thanks again everyone!!!!

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Or you could...I dunno....drive to a store and get the correct product to maintain the thing you bought to save your life.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Right! Get the stuff made by elves in their secret blending operation if the furthest reaches of the Black Forest from elements here to fore unknown from a Galaxy unknown to modern man and repackaged by a merchandising company here in the U.S. and sold for $383.36 bucks a gallon.

But Hey, its made for a gun, no matter what kind!

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    When I was a young lad 55 years ago, I never had Gun cleaning solvent. I usually used Kerosene - Lamp oil or even gasoline. Mineral spirits (paint thinner), Naptha, or other solvents also work, but keep strong solvents off the wood. Dish soap and water work well but you must dry well and oil quickly to prevent rust. Brake cleaner would work well. I used 3 in One oil for protection. Don't remember any rust problems ever, but did keep my gun well oiled. My pull through cleaner was a Bobby pin on the end of a string with a small rag on the other end. Worked very well, should have patented the method :>).

We must be distant kin, or at least grew up the same way.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Right! Get the stuff made by elves in their secret blending operation if the furthest reaches of the Black Forest from elements here to fore unknown from a Galaxy unknown to modern man and repackaged by a merchandising company here in the U.S. and sold for $383.36 bucks a gallon.

But Hey, its made for a gun, no matter what kind!

Well you know it is hard work milking those frogs, rendering them down, or whatever it is they do.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Jeeze, didn't know asking about a homemade cleaning solvent, would get me badges. Don't worry, I got the right stuff today..

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    The best/cheapest solvent I've used to clean my guns is mineral spirits. I soak all my bore brushes, and scrub brushes in it and all the copper and lead fouling comes right off them too.
    I don't own any plastic guns, so I can't tell you if it's hard on polymer, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom