• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzy_higg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2023
    Indy South Side
    Just picked up a Hellcat Pro. Want to put a Holosun Optic on it. Was informed I would either need to buy and install a plate or file off the two front nubs that will interfere. Questions are 2. What are the pros / cons of filing the nubs off? Does the additional plate create any issue?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just picked up a Hellcat Pro. Want to put a Holosun Optic on it. Was informed I would either need to buy and install a plate or file off the two front nubs that will interfere. Questions are 2. What are the pros / cons of filing the nubs off? Does the additional plate create any issue?
    This is one of the reasons I chose NOT to install a Holosun on my Hellcat. Great sight. But you need a baseplate, which raises the sight. No chance of even the tiny 507K being able to cowitness with the irons. Some don't want the cowitness, others do. I fall into the latter category of those who want iron to cowitness thru the glass. But when I looked at the Holosun it will mount easily on a baseplate and there is no modification to the gun. So if you want the Holoson, add a baseplate, or you can find down our slide to instal the Holosun. I'm not doing that.

In any case, with any brand, make sure you use Locktite BLUE to hold the mounting screws in place!

I looked at a lot of sights. Cheap to expensive and back to cheap. Bought the Bushnell RXU-200 ultra compact and it fits perfectly. Tiny sights. The RXC-200 is slightly larger, might be better suited to the Pro variant. Either fit the slide properly, no sloppy overhang like on the Vector Optimcs or so many others.

The Swampfox Sentinal gets some great reviews, but too tall to cowitness with the irons. There is a modest priced Crimson Trace I've seen used, but no clue if that needs an adapter plate like the Holosun. Viridian makes the RFX15, which is a green dot and looks promising, but is a little wide on the slide like the VectorOptics sights, yet it gets some great/outstanding reviews for a newer sight.

Not a lot of experience with the Bushnell optic I bought, but very pleased so far. Reviews seem to indicate value. The Hellcat is a personal defense carry gun, not subject to some of the abuses of a hunting gun, range gun, or duty gun. The Bushnell (and any other mid-quality brand) probably should withstand all the normal wear and tear of a carry gun.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    FWIW, here is my Hellcat modification thread. Been doing the concealed carry thing since the 1980's so my eyes are old and my hands have arthritis. Bought the tiny Hellcat for a carry pistol to replace a Glock, which replaced decades worth of all steel 1911s. Optics, grip tape, holsters, lasers, triggers, mag releases, takedown levers, etc etc etc are all fair game. My modifications are aimed at concealed carry for old people with bad eyes and aging hands, your needs may vary. I am also adding some cosmetic touches just for the heck of it.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Picked up a Swampfox Sentinel for my Hellcat Pro. It doesn't need an adapter plate but does sit a little high. I don't prefer to co witness with irons so it is not a big deal to me. Love the gun and sight. Still getting use to picking up the dot when coming on target, but it's the first dot sight I have run. I like that it has a metal body as I find myself partially using it to rack the slide.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Much easier to find the dots when you have 1 eye closed. You will hunt for the dot with 2 eyes open. Close one eye and bring the gun up fairly level and you will typically find the dot very quickly. I tend to bring the gun up muzzle high, probably from years of practicing and focusing on the front sight then adjusting the rear.

Red dot optics seem to be easy to find if you bring the gun up level. Even with me bringing the gun up front sight high, I find the dot, but it is usually in the upper right corner and then comes to center as I level out the gun.

Top Bottom